• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eaterfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
    Popper wrote that both Derwin and Tranq are wearing the green dot, which makes sense. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that only one player from either side of the ball was allowed to wear it.
    During a game only one player can wear it and communicate with the sideline. This is practice.

I think people need to stop reading too much into what's happening in these practices when they think this is what it will be like during the regular season. I think this is especially true for practices so early.

They are just getting guys reps at various spots and trying things out.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Popper wrote that both Derwin and Tranq are wearing the green dot, which makes sense. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that only one player from either side of the ball was allowed to wear it.
      I believe that's true in games that only one can be on the playing field. Staley is prepping multiple people for any given reponsibility.
      Now I wonder if, in a game, different players can wear the dot on different plays.

"
      Regarding how many players have the dots on their helmet, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was asked about it in an interview, according to Steelers.com. He said there are three players allowed to have the dot:
      “By rule, we can have three guys, because the NFL acknowledges that a second-level defender wearing the green dot, whoever he may be, is not an all-situations player.
      Sometimes you may have a guy who stands in front of your huddle on first and second downs, and he’s a Vince Williams-type, and on third down you might have an oversized safety standing in front of your defense.”

Because of the nature of defensive substitutions, it makes sense that more defensive players than offensive players would require communication. A quarterback is generally on the field for every offensive play, barring a trick play. On defense, substitutions for different types of situations are much more common."

Follow more updates from Sportscasting on our Facebook page.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Tranq wore the green dot today, so I’m assuming Staley’s planning on using 2 ILBs on the field more often than not. Ninja says our nickel D will have 2 DL, 2 edge, 2 ILBs, and 5 DBs.

Wonder if that means Tranq’s staying on instead of K9 in dime packages.

Bottom line is that Staley likes our ILB talent enough to keep 2 on the field. I may be wrong about this, but didn’t he mostly use 3 DL, 1 ILB and an extra safety when the Rams played nickel and dime?
        I heard in one of the videos on chargers.com that Naz and james will be making adjustments with secondary depending on who is playing deep.....
        K9 will be on the field as much as possible either playing box LBer or rushing the QB...... which is more what he did so well in college..... (imagine ...coaches actually putting players in positions where they can actually make an impact instead of forcing them to do things that they do not do well)....

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Murray is not that strong in coverage, so, at least until he improves his coverage. skills, he is not going to be in that many dime packages unless it is too rush the QB.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I heard in one of the videos on chargers.com that Naz and james will be making adjustments with secondary depending on who is playing deep.....
            K9 will be on the field as much as possible either playing box LBer or rushing the QB...... which is more what he did so well in college..... (imagine ...coaches actually putting players in positions where they can actually make an impact instead of forcing them to do things that they do not do well)....
            I think the plan is for James to wear the dot and make the calls. That means that someone else (Nas?) is going to have to help make sure the secondary is lined up because James is going to have his back turned while he makes the calls and may have other clean ups to do. Those couple seconds are important, I guess.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

DJ and Tranquill will have the dot. Which one wears it on the field depends on the defense Staley wants.

Regarding how many players have the dots on their helmet, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was asked about it in an interview, according to Steelers.com. He said there are three players allowed to have the dot:
              “By rule, we can have three guys, because the NFL acknowledges that a second-level defender wearing the green dot, whoever he may be, is not an all-situations player.
              Sometimes you may have a guy who stands in front of your huddle on first and second downs, and he’s a Vince Williams-type, and on third down you might have an oversized safety standing in front of your defense.”

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

By all accounts, Asante’s really showed up the last 2 practices. Nice timing today with Facyon sitting out. Looks like he’s starting to hit his stride and show off some of that dog mentality.

Keep it up rook.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Think he’ll be starting by opening day?
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

He is a feisty player. I truly believe that if he earns and deserves a starting spot he will get it from this coaching staff. Starters won't be due to popularity or loyalty or what happened in the past. I know some are bashing Facson but if he is really playing well enough to beat out Samuel, that is actually a good thing. Because Samuel is going to be a very good DB and is already a pretty good DB and it says a lot about Facyson if he can beat him out.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Zemanova.... one of the best ever

Comment

• JPPT1974
                        April Showers and Easter
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

It is about earning the respect. And it is about in the earning the job there.

Comment

• HollywoodHerbie Hairbear
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2021
                          • Send PM

Everyone has to see this play by our rookie
                          against (among) the best at wr
                          August 12, 2021 - 19K likes, 237 comments - Los Angeles Chargers (@chargers) on Instagram: "oh OK, rook"

Comment

Working...
                          X