Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

He would have had more snaps if he had beat out either of the two UDFAs that did see significant field time. Earn it, this ain’t ACC ball here.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        He would have had more snaps if he had beat out either of the two UDFAs that did see significant field time. Earn it, this ain’t ACC ball here.
        We shall see moving forward.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Thank you for sharing!! Very impressive highlights. He looks to be a fairly polished route runner already to go along with a nice catch radius.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Sure this has been posted. But the CFL prospect rankings prior to the CFL draft a few days ago.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 10.48.25 AM.png

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

He does a lot of stutter steps at the line, but they don’t seem to do a lot to fool defenders or help his releases. Hopefully the coaches and KA can help him eliminate some of the Brownian motion from his route running. It reminds me a year ago from the way Herbert had the bad habit of flipping the ball end over end in his hands while he was in the pocket and that they specifically addressed it as because it was wasted time and ball movement and kept him from being ready to throw the ball. I saw a Herbert video recently on YouTube comparing his rookie season and his time at Oregon and I kept seeing that ball flip in the Oregon highlights.

It was actually a great video coming from a guy who had predicted that Herbert would be a bust and he even talked about how it had impacted his draft evaluation of QBs moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Perry was slower than shit. Slow to react and slow once he decided to move. Bosa has no future as an NFL Scout, i guess?
                Maybe more slow to react than slow. He was drafted to play 3-4 ILB and ran a solid, though not blazing 4.68 (faster than Perryman) for a man of his size (6'4" and 254 pounds). He was significantly bigger and faster than Te'O.

The year after he was drafted, we changed our defensive scheme, which I think hurt him as he was never going to be an MLB in a 4-3. He could not catch on with the Colts or Seahawks either, also both 4-3 teams at the time.

To me, it is strange that he never could get picked up by a base 3-4 team as a two down ILB.

Sometimes the tools do not translate to the NFL field for whatever reason. Still, I would rather take players with the tools than good college players that lack the tools as a general rule.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We shall see moving forward.
                  Indeed. If he can learn to run crisp routes with discipline, he has other tools. Its pretty normal for rookie WRs not Top 20 to not be ready for the NFL level. The reason they are not Top 20 is they have these flaws that need to be fixed.

Guyton and Johnson UDFAs both had a year of growth on practice squad roster to learn NFL. Neither of them got snaps their first year, i dont think. This is the likely year to see if Reed has “it” or not
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Indeed. If he can learn to run crisp routes with discipline, he has other tools. Its pretty normal for rookie WRs not Top 20 to not be ready for the NFL level. The reason they are not Top 20 is they have these flaws that need to be fixed.

Guyton and Johnson UDFAs both had a year of growth on practice squad roster to learn NFL. Neither of them got snaps their first year, i dont think. This is the likely year to see if Reed has “it” or not
                    As I’ve said before Reed’s route tree was limited coming in so he needed to be coached up significantly.
                    I was more surprised that they didn’t design plays to get the ball in his hands though. He is dynamic there.
                    I still have high hopes for Joe but I’ve been wrong more than a few times about prospects.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Good interview. Some real insights from a person that watched him daily.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I only know Palmer from watching his highlights. His routes do look good to me. But what bothers me is that in spite of the routes he doesn’t separate much. So his ball skliis are pretty necessary.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                          Good interview. Some real insights from a person that watched him daily.

I do not agree with what the Tennessee guy is saying about Palmer. Contrary to his statement, I do not see Palmer as a reliable option. Specifically, even in his video highlights (not the video you posted), which I watched, he usually has very little separation. He simply looks easier to cover than most NFL WRs. Also, I observed that the Tennessee QBs that have been ragged on in the media as an excuse for Palmer's lack of production actually made a number of well placed throws on passes to Palmer where the coverage was on him. Palmer does not resemble the Alabama and LSU WRs that have frequently been running alone in a pasture in recent seasons.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍