Welcome Tre' McKitty, TE Georgia (Pick #97)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

The blocking thing is relative. He is still more of a flex TE who can block a little than a a Jason Witten/Hunter Henry type of player.

By today's standard, McKitty is a good blocker. He is OK. He makes good inital contact, but kinda sucks at sustaining at all. The important thing is the guy at least tries. So many college TE just kinda half-ass it, so the fact that he is trying means with pro coaching, he will do a better job of sustaining and keeping his feet moving. I don't think he is ever going to be a dominant point of attack guy, but he can set the edge and get the RB to the corner, and has the quickness to make the outside zone work. This is another thing that all college TE needs to get better at, just like all college DL need to get better with their hand use.

College TE a few years ago where much better blockers. Older NFL TE are much better blockers. But colleges don't produce guys who can block much anymore, so it is harder and harder to find guys who can block at all. McKitty, like most college TE is mostly a big WR, who sometimes lines up inside and is sometimes asked to do TE stuff. That is how colleges ask their TE to play, so it is not much of a surprise that most of them have horrible technique.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
      This seems like a "Virgil Green" replacement pick.
      That is exactly what it was. As Staley said those attributes are hard to find these days coming out of college. Does he value that more than we do... Probably. But he also knows what he skill sets he wants to be able to use in various sets and situations.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Love the "we should have kept Henry" that showed up. Classic........

We should have kept Fred Dean and John Jefferson too.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

The Palmer pick is the Charger get of jail card when Mike Williams wants the chargers to commit to a big deal next year that they might not feel comfortable with. Very similar skill sets and a lot cheaper next year.

:toyou:
          I like Palmer the player the more I read about him. But this is why I like BPA at PON than BPA overall. Would have preferred safety or even guard ahead of a WR.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
            I'm never going to argue against taking a TE. I'm just biased that way. I'd probably play 3 every down. LoL! The league has gone to primary pass catching TEs, who are just really big WRs for match up problems. McKitty is closer to an old school TE, which I love. A TE who can both block & catch puts the Defense on their heels a little bit. To me, a flexed out TE means 90% pass so send the dogs. I understand the game isn't ever probably going to revert to the style of my days, but this is style is perfect for 3rd & mid range.

All of that being said, Bosa needs some fucking Help! Ingram & comp provided None last season.
            We’ll see if Staley’s scheme helps out in that regards especially Nwosu.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I like Palmer the player the more I read about him. But this is why I like BPA at PON than BPA overall. Would have preferred safety or even guard ahead of a WR.
              There's still plenty of safeties and guards on the draft board. If the chargers have them graded similarly or even higher than who is taking yesterday I fail to see what the issue is other than it doesn't match some theoretical BPA put out by people that don't do in-depth scouting comparable to what the teams do.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

There's still plenty of safeties and guards on the draft board. If the chargers have them graded similarly or even higher than who is taking yesterday I fail to see what the issue is other than it doesn't match some theoretical BPA put out by people that don't do in-depth scouting comparable to what the teams do.
                It’s just hesitancy based on TT’s draft history. If this was a new GM I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I’m still hoping we pull a Saints 2017 or Colts 2018 draft this year in terms of quality and contribution.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                  Love the "we should have kept Henry" that showed up. Classic........

We should have kept Fred Dean and John Jefferson too.
                  Yeah we should'a!

Comment

• Grinners
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

So what do we call him?
                    T-Mac
                    T-Kitty
                    T-Cat

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Yeah we should'a!
                      That was me, I accept ownership. Just pissed. Telesco talks about selecting “players not positions” but that’s exactly what’s happened. Staley said, the Y TE position is hard to find and Josh Palmer as X/Z fit on the outside who can develop his slot route tree.

However they seem content with group overall on offensive side so maybe go straight D day 3. That would make me feel better and serve needs/positions more that need it.

Comment

• Grinners
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Thunder Cat
                        Bolt Up

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North