• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think Staley is better at his job than most head coaches in the NFL. He's just smarter; it was apparent Monday night against GruBrad.
    I am not going to go that far just yet - need more sample size

But I think it was earlier this thread where I went through the head coaches by team - and who I thought were good coaches. I forget the number I had but it wasn't more than half the league. Like nobody from the AFCSouth - though I do think Vrabel is good at clock and game management .

Staley is up there though - thats why I compare him to Spoelstra. Two guys, younger, but immersed in their profession, worked their backsides off and are really good at what they do.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think we can safely put to rest the concerns that he didn't have the starters playing in preseason.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not going to go that far just yet - need more sample size

But I think it was earlier this thread where I went through the head coaches by team - and who I thought were good coaches. I forget the number I had but it wasn't more than half the league. Like nobody from the AFCSouth - though I do think Vrabel is good at clock and game management .

Staley is up there though - thats why I compare him to Spoelstra. Two guys, younger, but immersed in their profession, worked their backsides off and are really good at what they do.
        I think Staley is going to win Coach of the Year. He represents a new breed that is going take over the NFL, for better or worse. He's going to have so much success with the Chargers, other owners are going to start looking for their Staley.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
          I think we can safely put to rest the concerns that he didn't have the starters playing in preseason.
          Yeah, it's pretty clear that Staley is going to use the preseason not to prepare the team for the regular season, which is what it was traditionally used for, but to evaluate players at the bottom of the depth chart to decide who's worth keeping.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Staley is going to use the preseason not to prepare the team for the regular season, which is what it was traditionally used for, but to evaluate players at the bottom of the depth chart to decide who's worth keeping.
            And to minimize injury opportunity to keep his core players as healthy as possible for the regular season.

Comment

• UglyTruth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by The Intellectual Assassin View Post
              How well this guy really knows the X's and O's of this great game and how to get the best out of these players way better than Lynn ever did has really impressed me.Don't get me wrong I think Lynn did a solid enough job here but Staley just seems to work with them better so far imo.
              Lynn is just a motivator, he’s not an Xs and Os coach. And he doesn’t have a clue about analytics.

Mike McCoy had more concepts based on Xs and Os than Lynn did. But not nearly enough and McCoy was also just a giant pussy with his gameplanning.
              Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
              - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
              - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
              - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
              - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
              - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
              - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The "issue" isn't going away soon. The 'camp' of those who want to see more of the stars play will point at the past as it had worked before, but I think pre-season games are pretty useless for veterans.. they get more out of the controlled scrimmages than random game play that means squat.

I think if it makes more money to have less pre-season games for both the owners and players, they will.

Comment

• Caslon
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Man, I didn’t think we were getting our money’s worth in Jared Cook until Staley let him out of the bag against the Raiders.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                    Bahahahahahahaha! Spot on!

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

For me, I'd like to wait until the bye before going totally gaga on Staley. Everything looks real good so far, the team is playing 'not to lose', the players are engaged and not silo'ed, and he doesn't make dumb game decisions that goes back to the Marty days. Everything he says in the press conferences makes football sense, not just coach speak. He does have a pair of unicorns with #33 and #10 who are used properly, so far.

Just glad Meyer is no where near the Chargers. The other new coaches are not even close to Staley's performance so far.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                        Man, I didn’t think we were getting our money’s worth in Jared Cook until Staley let him out of the bag against the Raiders.
                        Dude is a really good addition. My guess is that Lombardi wanted him. He knows how to get the most out of him. His best back to back seasons were in NO, and after he was 30 too. You can see the trust Lombardi has in him. I'll say it again, dude came here to ball, not just collect a paycheck in the twilight of his career.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                          For me, I'd like to wait until the bye before going totally gaga on Staley. Everything looks real good so far, the team is playing 'not to lose', the players are engaged and not silo'ed, and he doesn't make dumb game decisions that goes back to the Marty days. Everything he says in the press conferences makes football sense, not just coach speak. He does have a pair of unicorns with #33 and #10 who are used properly, so far.

Just glad Meyer is no where near the Chargers. The other new coaches are not even close to Staley's performance so far.
                          I wanted Meyer and Tua. Let that be a lesson to take my opinions with a grain of salt. :wtf:

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍