Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    For me, I'd like to wait until the bye before going totally gaga on Staley. Everything looks real good so far, the team is playing 'not to lose', the players are engaged and not silo'ed, and he doesn't make dumb game decisions that goes back to the Marty days. Everything he says in the press conferences makes football sense, not just coach speak. He does have a pair of unicorns with #33 and #10 who are used properly, so far.

Just glad Meyer is no where near the Chargers. The other new coaches are not even close to Staley's performance so far.
    I'm really pleased with Staley - I can't wait until after the bye, I already love him and his style.

I love that this team is aggressive on both sides of the ball. We haven't seen that since Marty left. He has this team playing with an attitude and I love it.

This is fun!
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I'm really pleased with Staley - I can't wait until after the bye, I already love him and his style.

I love that this team is aggressive on both sides of the ball. We haven't seen that since Marty left. He has this team playing with an attitude and I love it.

This is fun!
      Agree 'Roo - its just a fun way to watch football

How many times the last 14 years, pre-Staley: Okay, lets punt and hope the defense gets a stop - watch the other team get two first downs to flip field position - and the QB needs 85 yards and no timeouts in 2 minutes or so

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Last week it was the tight ends show, brilliant game planning to pop that on the Raiders. Now let’s get back to the Keenan and Mike show against the Browns, if you please.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
          Last week it was the tight ends show, brilliant game planning to pop that on the Raiders. Now let’s get back to the Keenan and Mike show against the Browns, if you please.
          Brownies have defensive stoppers at each level of their D.
          Our game plan needs to be diverse.
          Quick hitters, screens, 6-7 man protections off PA for a few deep shots, and a physical run game. We need to control their front by not letting them pin their ears back.
          M. Garrett needs to be doubled, chipped, cracked, and physically run at.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
            McVay too
            Funny you mention McVay. Some of the Rams fans told me that Staley was like the defensive version of McVay when we first hired him. And in some ways they are very similar. But I love that Staley is more aggressive than McVay. Unlike McVay, our HC actually has big
            steel daring GIF by DR

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Coach Staley gets not only the 'what' but the 'why' of analytics. While this is clear to analytically inclined fans, it's not so common yet in NFL coaching and front office. Expect us to show up on the espn analytics survey next year. And for draft and FA decisions to improve.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

This guy just keeps getting better. He knows his defense got worked yesterday. So what does he do? He goes for it on 4th and 2 from his own 23 early in the third quarter. Plenty of time left in the game, down 2 TDs but screw it. He knew the defense wasn't reliable and he had to keep the offense on the field or go down swinging. Shocking call given the filed position but he did something similar against Dallas so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

But Staley adapted yesterday. We've won in different ways this season which is a testament to the coaching staff.

Now fix the defense dude.

Comment

• Rugger05
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  This guy just keeps getting better. He knows his defense got worked yesterday. So what does he do? He goes for it on 4th and 2 from his own 23 early in the third quarter. Plenty of time left in the game, down 2 TDs but screw it. He knew the defense wasn't reliable and he had to keep the offense on the field or go down swinging. Shocking call given the filed position but he did something similar against Dallas so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

But Staley adapted yesterday. We've won in different ways this season which is a testament to the coaching staff.

I fully expect Staley to fix this defense, I just don't know if it will be this year. I fully expect the Chargers to add more players on defense then offense next season. You have to remember the team is learning a whole new system. Its obvious the team is light up front on D and running teams will have success against them. They just need to do a better job tackling as well.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The last line - partly on him; partly on Telesco to see what else is out there via current free agents or the trade market

Might be a bit early for trades but with Aboushi out, with the situation on the DLine - the bye week could be the right time to use some draft capital and cap space. I don't mean push the chips like a future 1st rounder - but day 3 picks for sure. This is a good team - a couple small moves - could really bump it up a level - or at least maintain level with injuries.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Our defense was 7th in the league in PPG and 9th in the league in YPG coming into yesterday.

It was a bad matchup on a short week. I don't think "fix" is the right word. It certainly has weaknesses.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        Our defense was 7th in the league in PPG and 9th in the league in YPG coming into yesterday.

It was a bad matchup on a short week. I don't think "fix" is the right word. It certainly has weaknesses.
                        This is a good point. Don't want to panic and overreact. But, if you can find a player that helps your depth and the price is right, I hope its being explored

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I like that Staley tells it like it is without using the bus to run players over. He is going to come down on the DL for the run defense. SHould be some spirited practices this week and another good test with the Ravens next up.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X