• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I was stationed in Frankfurt 1966-68. Visited Amsterdam several times and liked it a lot. Cheap train fare from the Hauptbahnhof made it a nice weekend trip. Paris was very inhospitable at that time. US = SS, American Nazi Bastards Go Home, etc graffiti everywhere. No likey. Barcelona and Sitges were my Favorites. Wish my tastes had been more mature. Food, drink, girls topped the list but by luck spent an evening at a wine cellar when the owners friend, a classic spanish guitar artist, dropped in and played in the small room the most spell binding music I have ever experienced. I don't think anyone breathed while he played. Oh yeah, saw El Cordobes at the downtown bullring in Barcelona,
    Epic! Frankfurt was the first European city I ever set foot in. From there, I jumped onto a train up the Rhine River to Cologne. My eyes popped out of my head when we pulled into the Hauptbahnhof. Next door was Dom Kolner! Fine art is great... but I love the architecture! Dom Kolner blew my mind. After a night in Cologne, we went to Amsterdam.

Sorry you had such a shitty reception in Paris. My trips to Paris have always been hospitable. I guess things have changed. If you ever go back to France, go to the D-Day beaches... you'll be received as a great American Liberator! They love Americans!

Spain is one of the few European countries I haven't traveled... it's on the list. Spanish guitar and a wine cellar... sounds like you did it right!
    I had a comparable trip to Prague (Czechoslovakia at the time). We had planned to travel to Berlin (the Wall had just come down 2 weeks before). But you couldn't get into Berlin without accommodations (people were sleeping in the streets). So we optioned to Prague. Had an amazing time in Prague! Live jazz show at night... wine and vodka all night... a dollar bought a lot in 1989.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Epic! Frankfurt was the first European city I ever set foot in. From there, I jumped onto a train up the Rhine River to Cologne. My eyes popped out of my head when we pulled into the Hauptbahnhof. Next door was Dom Kolner! Fine art is great... but I love the architecture! Dom Kolner blew my mind. After a night in Cologne, we went to Amsterdam.

Sorry you had such a shitty reception in Paris. My trips to Paris have always been hospitable. I guess things have changed. If you ever go back to France, go to the D-Day beaches... you'll be received as a great American Liberator! They love Americans!

Spain is one of the few European countries I haven't traveled... it's on the list. Spanish guitar and a wine cellar... sounds like you did it right!
      I had a comparable trip to Prague (Czechoslovakia at the time). We had planned to travel to Berlin (the Wall had just come down 2 weeks before). But you couldn't get into Berlin without accommodations (people were sleeping in the streets). So we optioned to Prague. Had an amazing time in Prague! Live jazz show at night... wine and vodka all night... a dollar bought a lot in 1989.
      I didn't know squat about Europe when the Army deposited me there but I discovered a secret weapon, college girls! Easy to find in June- July, they traveled in groups.Young, pretty, full of laughter and IDEAS! They studied places to go, things to do, eat, drink, etc. I would just fall in, make friends and do what they did. Usually multiple choices. It was kinda awesome. I did stuff with buddies most of the year but train trips during tourist season were not to be missed.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I didn't know squat about Europe when the Army deposited me there but I discovered a secret weapon, college girls! Easy to find in June- July, they traveled in groups.Young, pretty, full of laughter and IDEAS! They studied places to go, things to do, eat, drink, etc. I would just fall in, make friends and do what they did. Usually multiple choices. It was kinda awesome. I did stuff with buddies most of the year but train trips during tourist season were not to be missed.
        100%!!!

My trip to Prague was spawned that way. My brother and I were eating/drinking at a bar in Nuremberg... lamenting the fact that we couldn't get to Berlin (The Berlin Wall had just fallen 2 weeks prior). We were convinced, by students from Austria, to go to Prague with them instead... completely ignorant to the fact that they were going there to demonstrate. LOL! We landed smack-dab in the middle of something called The Velvet Revolution.

The train ride from Nuremberg to Prague should have been our first indication that we were in for an adventure. The train stopped at the border. Russian guards mounted the trains, checked passports, and rifled through travel bags. It was a 2-hour stop. I guess we hadn't pondered the fact that Czechoslovakia was part of the Iron Curtain.

Once in Prague, we were rockstars! At that time, very few Americans went to Prague and we were the first Americans most of them had ever met. They bought us drinks and asked us endless questions about the West. After drinks at the bar, several students got us into a Suzanne Vega concert without a ticket. Paid the guy at the door $5. It was a big event... not many American artists allowed to perform at the time.

The next day, we hooked up with them again. They showed us the town and told us the history. The walk from the Vlava River up to Prague Castle is one of the most beautiful walks I've ever taken... the architecture dates back to the 800's. That afternoon, we joined 1,000's of other students in a peaceful march. That night, they took us to an "American" jazz bar. The musicians were amazing! $10 bought us multiple rounds of drinks. The waiter nearly fell on the floor when we tipped him $20.

I had ZERO idea I'd have an experience like that... I doubt I'll ever have an adventure like that again.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

100%!!!

My trip to Prague was spawned that way. My brother and I were eating/drinking at a bar in Nuremberg... lamenting the fact that we couldn't get to Berlin (The Berlin Wall had just fallen 2 weeks prior). We were convinced, by students from Austria, to go to Prague with them instead... completely ignorant to the fact that they were going there to demonstrate. LOL! We landed smack-dab in the middle of something called The Velvet Revolution.

The train ride from Nuremberg to Prague should have been our first indication that we were in for an adventure. The train stopped at the border. Russian guards mounted the trains, checked passports, and rifled through travel bags. It was a 2-hour stop. I guess we hadn't pondered the fact that Czechoslovakia was part of the Iron Curtain.

Once in Prague, we were rockstars! At that time, very few Americans went to Prague and we were the first Americans most of them had ever met. They bought us drinks and asked us endless questions about the West. After drinks at the bar, several students got us into a Suzanne Vega concert without a ticket. Paid the guy at the door $5. It was a big event... not many American artists allowed to perform at the time.

The next day, we hooked up with them again. They showed us the town and told us the history. The walk from the Vlava River up to Prague Castle is one of the most beautiful walks I've ever taken... the architecture dates back to the 800's. That afternoon, we joined 1,000's of other students in a peaceful march. That night, they took us to an "American" jazz bar. The musicians were amazing! $10 bought us multiple rounds of drinks. The waiter nearly fell on the floor when we tipped him $20.

I had ZERO idea I'd have an experience like that... I doubt I'll ever have an adventure like that again.

Thats livin!
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Thats livin!
            I look back at it now... and it seems like a different person, living a different life.
            Ah, to be young and carefree again. I still love traveling, though.

One of the best decisions I made was to drop out of college... ironically.
            It pissed my parents off... but ultimately led to that travel agency job.
            It didn't pay well... but the travel perks were amazing!
            I was very fortunate to land that job in my early 20's.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

100%!!!

My trip to Prague was spawned that way. ~~
              ~~

Loved the story. It's clear why so many travel Europe. So much diversity of culture, history, etc a short trip away once there

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Loved the story. It's clear why so many travel Europe. So much diversity of culture, history, etc a short trip away once there
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitges
                Yes! Stiges looks wonderful.
                Two other European cities I love:
                Brugges, Belgium

Carcassone, France
                Carcassonne is a fascinating fortified city in the Occitanie region of France that has been around since the Neolithic Period.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Good article on Staley’s resilience through his cancer battle to now and how it impacts his dealing with the JaX collapse.

Brandon Staley watched his parents battle cancer and then had his own bout, but the Chargers coach believes the experience can help him be a stronger coach.

SJD says “the culture this year is so much better, so much closer, so much tighter”.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

My dad used to take me to Agua Caliente Racetrack in Tijuana. Does that count ?

St. John, US Virgin Islands.
                    Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands.
                    Viti Levu, Yasawa Islands, Fiji.
                    Kauai, Maui, Big Island, Hawaii.

So many incredible memories.

The Staley's had their life journeys.

sonora. Nutty. It would be nice to hear all your stories. We are hardened for this epic '23 season coming up.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

sonora. Nutty. It would be nice to hear all your stories. We are hardened for this epic '23 season coming up.
                      It all counts! I see you like the warm waters of the islands.
                      You got any stories...?

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Ah! Agua Caliente Racetrack! In the 60ies my late wife and I went there often. We both loved the ponies. I've been to racetracks all over the country in my younger days but none as much as Agua Caliente. I think I'vr been to every track in socal, even the small tracks at the county fairs.

I loved the Del Mar track. They had the best horses and Jockeys in the country. We had many fun days at the track.

Memories are bouncing back into my little brain as I write this. It's amazing how much is stuffed into my brain. I wish I could always pull it out when I need it.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

It all counts! I see you like the warm waters of the islands.
                          You got any stories...?
                          In Nadi, Fiji, there is a hotel near the airport. It is well known that tourists frequently spend their first nights at this place, upon arrival to Fiji.

My girfriend suggested we go grab a beerski at the hotel bar. The problem is that locals have a blood sport. Hang out at this bar and hit on wives/girlfriends real hard.

wu came within a whisker of getting off the plane and ending up in jail within a couple of hours.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X