• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ.
    We are 9 games into Coach Staley’s career.
    Give it a rest.
    Are there things to be improved? Yes
    Were you expect to go to the SuperBowl this year? Then you were ridiculous.
    We are 1 or 2 more offseasons away from developing the new schemes, acquiring personnel for said schemes, developing existing personnel in said schemes, and implementing the championship caliber culture Staley is trying to install.

I’ll steal but pluralize Bill Maher’s quote “whinny little bitches!”

I’m upset we haven’t played well in 3 of our last 4 and I don’t think we’ve played a complete game yet this season.
    It is too early in the season and definitely in Staley’s career to make preposterous assertions.
    Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I have to say, I have some real concerns about Brandon Staley.

Let's put aside his controversial decision-making for a moment. What really cost this team a trip to the playoffs this season was not last night's game, it was the Houston game. To his credit, Staley took the blame for the loss. But that loss should never have happened. The team played inexplicably poorly. Other examples of the team not appearing prepared were at Baltimore and at Denver - two teams that finished under .500 this season. At times Staley appeared to be in over his head as a head coach.

Another thing that has really bothered me. He wanted to bring in Lombardi to run the Saints offense. But his QB, Justin Herbert, is nothing like Drew Brees, and IMO the offense Lombardi installed does not use Herbert's strengths to the full. You can say Lombardi was limited by how well the OL could protect Herbert. But when the game was on the line last night, Lombardi had no choice but turn Herbert loose, and Herbert delivered, even if it came down to having to convert on 4th down. He accomplished this with a dog tired OL, with Storm Norton struggling to contain Crosby, who was constantly in Herbert's face. I have to ask, what was Staley thinking when decided to bring in offensive coordinator and system designed for a short passing game with a QB like Brees, when the QB he was inheriting is Justin Herbert, a much different player than Brees? I don't get it. Meanwhile, the offensive coordinator whom Herbert flourished under as a rookie, who set rookie records, whom Staley let go, is in the playoffs with another young QB.

Most disappointing is Staley's impact, or lack thereof, on the defense. Defense is what got Staley the job. Defense is his identity, his calling card. But this season's defense was no better, or worse than, last season's D. I think we were all expecting a pretty significant improvement on defense, at least some improvement, but in the end his defense was no better than the defense of the previous DC, whom, by the way, beat the Chargers last night.

Then there is his over-reliance on analytics and how he lets that dictate his decision-making. The decision not to take the 3 pts at the end of the 1st half against the Chiefs, and his decision to go for it on 4th and 2 on the Chargers' 18 yd line defy belief IMO. I'd like to see the analytics that says going for it on 4th and 2 on your 18 is the right decision. Real football people understand what he is doing? Really? Those two decision may very well have cost the Chargers both games, and ultimately, a spot in the playoffs.

I hope he can learn and improve from this season and be a better coach next season. We are going to be stuck with him for awhile. But I am concerned, and I can guarantee that Telesco, and more importantly, the Spanoses are concerned about Staley too. It seems last season they became so enamored with Staley the didn't do their proper diligence. His tenure in the NFL was so brief, there wasn't a lot to evaluate him on. He appeared to be this boy genius wonderkind that performed miracles with the Rams' defense. They became fixated him and didn't really do a thorough coaching search. They didn't want to lose Staley to another team, so they pounced on him. But Staley is not the guy who was sold to the public. Anthony Lynn finished his first season one game over .500, just missing the playoffs. Staley accomplished no better. Lynn last season finished 7-9, winning his final four games. Staley finished 9-8 this season, losing three of his final four. I do wonder if the Spanoses have some degree of buyer's remorse this morning.

I'm not giving up on Staley. He is intelligent and very cerebral. But he has to learn from his mistakes this season and be better next season. And he has to learn to weigh common sense against analytics when making crucial game in-game decisions.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

And he has to learn to weigh common sense against analytics when making crucial game in-game decisions.
        I wholeheartedly agree on the italicized. Sometimes you cant just go with analytics cuz it says you'll get a slightly better chance to win. you gotta get a feel for the game. I was totally against that idiotic 4th n 2 from our own 18 and was SOOOOO sure he was gonna punt it...I couldnt BELIEVE he was going for it and I wasnt happy of the choice there. Then they go and run into a dogpile.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Staley is a rookie HC. Every team has those stinkers. The Bucs got shut out a few weeks ago with that loaded offense.
          Colts have lost 7 straight to Jax in Jax.

Comment

• KrazyLegs
            Registered Dude
            • Sep 2018
            • Westminster, MA
            • Send PM

Put on blast by the Get Up crew:

Not that I have any love for Rex Ryan...just thought it was a salient thing to add to the thread.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Let's put aside his controversial decision-making for a moment. What really cost this team a trip to the playoffs this season was not last night's game, it was the Houston game. To his credit, Staley took the blame for the loss. But that loss should never have happened. The team played inexplicably poorly. Other examples of the team not appearing prepared were at Baltimore and at Denver - two teams that finished under .500 this season. At times Staley appeared to be in over his head as a head coach.

Another thing that has really bothered me. He wanted to bring in Lombardi to run the Saints offense. But his QB, Justin Herbert, is nothing like Drew Brees, and IMO the offense Lombardi installed does not use Herbert's strengths to the full. You can say Lombardi was limited by how well the OL could protect Herbert. But when the game was on the line last night, Lombardi had no choice but turn Herbert loose, and Herbert delivered, even if it came down to having to convert on 4th down. He accomplished this with a dog tired OL, with Storm Norton struggling to contain Crosby, who was constantly in Herbert's face. I have to ask, what was Staley thinking when decided to bring in offensive coordinator and system designed for a short passing game with a QB like Brees, when the QB he was inheriting is Justin Herbert, a much different player than Brees? I don't get it. Meanwhile, the offensive coordinator whom Herbert flourished under as a rookie, who set rookie records, whom Staley let go, is in the playoffs with another young QB.

Most disappointing is Staley's impact, or lack thereof, on the defense. Defense is what got Staley the job. Defense is his identity, his calling card. But this season's defense was no better, or worse than, last season's D. I think we were all expecting a pretty significant improvement on defense, at least some improvement, but in the end his defense was no better than the defense of the previous DC, whom, by the way, beat the Chargers last night.

Then there is his over-reliance on analytics and how he lets that dictate his decision-making. The decision not to take the 3 pts at the end of the 1st half against the Chiefs, and his decision to go for it on 4th and 2 on the Chargers' 18 yd line defy belief IMO. I'd like to see the analytics that says going for it on 4th and 2 on your 18 is the right decision. Real football people understand what he is doing? Really? Those two decision may very well have cost the Chargers both games, and ultimately, a spot in the playoffs.

I hope he can learn and improve from this season and be a better coach next season. We are going to be stuck with him for awhile. But I am concerned, and I can guarantee that Telesco, and more importantly, the Spanoses are concerned about Staley too. It seems last season they became so enamored with Staley the didn't do their proper diligence. His tenure in the NFL was so brief, there wasn't a lot to evaluate him on. He appeared to be this boy genius wonderkind that performed miracles with the Rams' defense. They became fixated him and didn't really do a thorough coaching search. They didn't want to lose Staley to another team, so they pounced on him. But Staley is not the guy who was sold to the public. Anthony Lynn finished his first season one game over .500, just missing the playoffs. Staley accomplished no better. Lynn last season finished 7-9, winning his final four games. Staley finished 9-8 this season, losing three of his final four. I do wonder if the Spanoses have some degree of buyer's remorse this morning.

I'm not giving up on Staley. He is intelligent and very cerebral. But he has to learn from his mistakes this season and be better next season. And he has to learn to weigh common sense against analytics when making crucial game in-game decisions.
              Valid points but I'm not sure if one season if enough to paint Staley as "too reckless" or to paint him as anything yet. We have to see if there's a trend. For all we know, next year, he becomes way more conservative. I don't know. I think he will always be a bit of a risk taker, but he might temper it a bit.

If he has another 4th and 2 from your own 18 moment next year, then we can talk about his decision making.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• BoltGuyFromNY
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2022
                • Send PM

This is a great post and really reiterates the fact the Spano's really have no idea what they are doing when they hire coaches. I like the Rooney's in Pittsburgh because they hire the right guys for the job. Tomlin has never experienced a losing season and has taken a beat up, worn out old QB into the playoffs. That team is full of nobodies and there they are with a chance.

Even Dallas seems to have made the right decision with the old GB coach and we all see what Ariens and Reid have done. They can tout all those young guys coming up, but at the end of the day it's the old coaches winning all the Superbowls.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Midwest
                  • Local 150 operating engineer.
                  • Send PM

A two win improvement over last year, with an extra game. Stumbled down the stretch blowing winnable games and shitting the bed against one of the worst teams.

Color me not impressed with Staley.

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

A lot of valid criticisms of Staley in this thread, even if it was his first year.

All I will say is that I would rather hitch my wagon to Staley (whether that means more control over draft picks, etc) than to TT.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

I think next season is when we find out if Staley is Boy Wonder or Boy Blunder, and whether is another Josh McDaniels.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                        A lot of valid criticisms of Staley in this thread, even if it was his first year.

All I will say is that I would rather hitch my wagon to Staley (whether that means more control over draft picks, etc) than to TT.
                        Staley has no track record so I guess you’re saying anyone is an improvement over Telesco.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Staley has no track record so I guess you’re saying anyone is an improvement over Telesco.
                          All I'm saying is that at this point I'd rather take my chances with an unconventional guy vs a guy who's been here 9 years and has a subpar track record.

Trophy case is empty, ya know? So I don't particularly feel all that attached to what we've done the past 60+ years.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡