• Show
Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Ok we all know that was bad coaching right there. However. He is a Rookie. Calling for his head is a little over the top IMO. I think he's a brilliant coach that has to re-evaluate the offense that is being run by Lombardi.
    Slow his roll on 4th down attempts. Especially when you take the ball out of the hands JH the best player on the field. The play call... Slam Ek into A Gap AGAIN was embarrassing.

That to me is crazy. Always use your best player. WHERE ARE THE ROLL OUTS? WTF? Seriously JH is mobile, get him out in space for godsakes.

The offense feels constrained to me. They should play with a more backyard football mentality like the Chefs... Let Justin get out and make plays ffs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Staley has no track record so I guess you’re saying anyone is an improvement over Telesco.
      If Telesco gets fired, Staley will have very little to no control over personnel with the new GM.

Staley helped get the last GM fired would be his opinion of the situation

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

First year records:

Bill Belichick 6-10
        Andy Reid 5-11
        Pete Carroll 6-10
        Bill Walsh 2-14
        Jimmy Johnson 1-15
        Don Shula 8-6
        Tom Landry 0-11-1
        Don Coryell 4-9-1
        Marty Schottenheimer 4-4

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Is Staley too much of a genius ?

"Time out. We have the wrong personnel group out there for this clock wind down."

Nah.
          Just nope.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
            First year records:

Bill Belichick 6-10
            Andy Reid 5-11
            Pete Carroll 6-10
            Bill Walsh 2-14
            Jimmy Johnson 1-15
            Don Shula 8-6
            Tom Landry 0-11-1
            Don Coryell 4-9-1
            Marty Schottenheimer 4-4
            Good post. It does put Staley's first season in perspective, and Staley does remind me of Walsh a bit. But when Walsh took over the 49ers, the Niners had terrible personnel. It took a few years, and getting lucky with Joe Montana, to build up the roster into a quality team. Staley went into his first season with a record-setting rookie at QB, and players like Ekeler, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Linsley-Feiler-Slater, Bosa and James on the roster.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Is Staley too much of a genius ?

"Time out. We have the wrong personnel group out there for this clock wind down."

Nah.
              Just nope.
              The Raiders weren't kneeling.

Their version of clock wind down was running Josh Jacobs. And he was gaining big chunks with little resistance. So what if he breaks one for a walk off TD? Then you guys are skewering him for not calling a TO to get the right people in there to at least give us a chance for a stop or minimize the bleeding. Moot point as Jacobs still got the first down.

But the Raiders were running the ball with a purpose.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                I have to say, I have some real concerns about Brandon Staley.

Let's put aside his controversial decision-making for a moment. What really cost this team a trip to the playoffs this season was not last night's game, it was the Houston game. To his credit, Staley took the blame for the loss. But that loss should never have happened. The team played inexplicably poorly. Other examples of the team not appearing prepared were at Baltimore and at Denver - two teams that finished under .500 this season. At times Staley appeared to be in over his head as a head coach.

Another thing that has really bothered me. He wanted to bring in Lombardi to run the Saints offense. But his QB, Justin Herbert, is nothing like Drew Brees, and IMO the offense Lombardi installed does not use Herbert's strengths to the full. You can say Lombardi was limited by how well the OL could protect Herbert. But when the game was on the line last night, Lombardi had no choice but turn Herbert loose, and Herbert delivered, even if it came down to having to convert on 4th down. He accomplished this with a dog tired OL, with Storm Norton struggling to contain Crosby, who was constantly in Herbert's face. I have to ask, what was Staley thinking when decided to bring in offensive coordinator and system designed for a short passing game with a QB like Brees, when the QB he was inheriting is Justin Herbert, a much different player than Brees? I don't get it. Meanwhile, the offensive coordinator whom Herbert flourished under as a rookie, who set rookie records, whom Staley let go, is in the playoffs with another young QB.

Most disappointing is Staley's impact, or lack thereof, on the defense. Defense is what got Staley the job. Defense is his identity, his calling card. But this season's defense was no better, or worse than, last season's D. I think we were all expecting a pretty significant improvement on defense, at least some improvement, but in the end his defense was no better than the defense of the previous DC, whom, by the way, beat the Chargers last night.

Then there is his over-reliance on analytics and how he lets that dictate his decision-making. The decision not to take the 3 pts at the end of the 1st half against the Chiefs, and his decision to go for it on 4th and 2 on the Chargers' 18 yd line defy belief IMO. I'd like to see the analytics that says going for it on 4th and 2 on your 18 is the right decision. Real football people understand what he is doing? Really? Those two decision may very well have cost the Chargers both games, and ultimately, a spot in the playoffs.

I hope he can learn and improve from this season and be a better coach next season. We are going to be stuck with him for awhile. But I am concerned, and I can guarantee that Telesco, and more importantly, the Spanoses are concerned about Staley too. It seems last season they became so enamored with Staley the didn't do their proper diligence. His tenure in the NFL was so brief, there wasn't a lot to evaluate him on. He appeared to be this boy genius wonderkind that performed miracles with the Rams' defense. They became fixated him and didn't really do a thorough coaching search. They didn't want to lose Staley to another team, so they pounced on him. But Staley is not the guy who was sold to the public. Anthony Lynn finished his first season one game over .500, just missing the playoffs. Staley accomplished no better. Lynn last season finished 7-9, winning his final four games. Staley finished 9-8 this season, losing three of his final four. I do wonder if the Spanoses have some degree of buyer's remorse this morning.

I'm not giving up on Staley. He is intelligent and very cerebral. But he has to learn from his mistakes this season and be better next season. And he has to learn to weigh common sense against analytics when making crucial game in-game decisions.
                The team corrected a few things, mainly on personnel, but it didn't really get better as the season progressed.....in many ways, it got worse once healthy.
                You want to see the opposite from a new coaching staff.

An endless dialogue on getting better with gap assignment responsibilities....or whatever the hell he would always tell the press.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Their version of clock wind down was running Josh Jacobs. And he was gaining big chunks with little resistance. So what if he breaks one for a walk off TD? Then you guys are skewering him for not calling a TO to get the right people in there to at least give us a chance for a stop or minimize the bleeding. Moot point as Jacobs still got the first down.

ACho on one of the sports shows said staley took a timeout to put in personnel to stop the run...but yet he took out a MLB and instead put in a safety (or some sort of db). I'd think if ur gonna try n stop the run you'd beef up the IDL or put in more LBers.

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

An endless dialogue on getting better with gap assignment responsibilities....or whatever the hell he would always tell the press.
                    and it's the END OF THE YEAR! Why would they still have gap responsibility screwups?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

ACho on one of the sports shows said staley took a timeout to put in personnel to stop the run...but yet he took out a MLB and instead put in a safety (or some sort of db). I'd think if ur gonna try n stop the run you'd beef up the IDL or put in more LBers.
                      Oh mane.
                      You don't know ball

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

If you lose, you get blamed.

If the fied goal kicker threw a hail mary in the endzone instead of kicking the game tying field goal in OT, all would be forgiven.
                        The fact is that Staley and staff put the team countless times in poor positions....and the outcome was a loss.
                        Why wait anyhow for 3rd down to bring in 'the correct' run personnel?

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

and it's the END OF THE YEAR! Why would they still have gap responsibility screwups?
                          Why even worry about that? Put 8 men in the box. If we can't at least put up an occasional resistance on short distances we suck! The likely hood of them passing was 90% not going to happen on the last running play. So after a timeout we still failed. My head hurts.

:facepalm1:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡