• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhilaBoltster
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Because it was 2nd and 11 before that. And the Raiders passed the ball on this drive too.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
      First year records:

Bill Belichick 6-10
      Andy Reid 5-11
      Pete Carroll 6-10
      Bill Walsh 2-14
      Jimmy Johnson 1-15
      Don Shula 8-6
      Tom Landry 0-11-1
      Don Coryell 4-9-1
      Marty Schottenheimer 4-4
      How many of those teams had franchise quarterbacks playing at an All Pro level?

More relevant here:

Mike McCoy 9 - 7
      Anthony Lynn 9 - 7
      Norv Turner 11 - 5
      Marty Schottenheimer 8 - 8
      Mike Reilly 8 - 8
      Kevin Gilbride 4 - 12
      Bobby Ross 11 - 5

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

most of the experts, ex-coaches, ex-GM's, players, etc are ripping into Staley today for many of his crazy decisions...... yesterday and all season....

Gannon said Al Davis would have fired him immediately after the game....

an ex-GM on Sirius said he would have fired him for going for it at our 20 when only down by 3 points?......28 points down would be different....those free 3 points we gave up hurt us in log run....

they are saying Staley is supposed to be defensive genius but Chargers defense may be worst in football and worse than last year..... worst on 3rd down...worst in 4th qtr.... close to most points.....

calling TO was stupid....... Raiders were going to let clock run out if running the ball did not get them the first down...... they were too far away to risk missed kick, blocked kick, fumble, etc, when running out clock guaranteed a playoff spot...... just like kneeling at the one yard line.... yes one more score might be better for stats and FF, but safely kneeling wins game.....

EVERY teams goal at beginning of season is to get into the playoffs no matter how..... number of wins or ties does not matter.... just get in with least risk.....Staley wanted to leave time on clock to try and score if Raiders failed to score..... the players he substituted took the wrong angles and missed their assignments anyway, so the TO did not help.... The TO also ticked off the raiders basically telling them that we would rather lose than have a tie with raiders.....?

and why cant our offense make plays when its not 4th down do or die????...... part of the reason is before the 4th down our receivers were all running their routes short of the line to gain so we were trying too catch balls at Gus's picket fence instead of deeper that that picket fence where there is more room to get open???? On 4th down we started running deeper routes.... but still some of them were right on the marker..... forcing refs to debate whether we made it or not.....

With Herbert's arm, Chargers need to send 2 receivers deep every pass play clearing out areas underneath for others to catch short passes and get RAC....... if defense does not double up the deep guys then have Herbert throw deep until they do......

Comment

• Air Coryell
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2021
          • Carlsbad, CA
          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
          • Send PM

Staley is not a defensive guru. Look at our D. Rams looked good because of great personnel. See Aaron Donald. Staley is a good salesman. He has under achieved this year with rookie coordinators. We need a better GM and coordinators; and a coach willing to learn and be flexible.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

The Raiders weren't kneeling.

Their version of clock wind down was running Josh Jacobs. And he was gaining big chunks with little resistance. So what if he breaks one for a walk off TD? Then you guys are skewering him for not calling a TO to get the right people in there to at least give us a chance for a stop or minimize the bleeding. Moot point as Jacobs still got the first down.

But the Raiders were running the ball with a purpose.
            Yes they were running with a purpose, but we had stuffed the run on some plays in the game....... Without calling the TO, If Chargers had played gaps correctly and stuffed that last run for no gain or a small loss, the raiders would have let the clock run all the way down and punted us inside the 10...... If there were only a few seconds left and we have ball in terrible field position..... and kneeling on ball ties and gets you into the playoffs, then you do that!!!... you do not risk a possible fumble, pick, safety, blocked kick, injuries etc, if your season long goal is there to take safely!!! ....calling the TO pissed off the raiders and made them want to beat us more than just tying the game.......

Even herbert was hoping for the tie because he knows that would have put us in playoffs.......

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
              Ok we all know that was bad coaching right there. However. He is a Rookie. Calling for his head is a little over the top IMO. I think he's a brilliant coach that has to re-evaluate the offense that is being run by Lombardi.
              Slow his roll on 4th down attempts. Especially when you take the ball out of the hands JH the best player on the field. The play call... Slam Ek into A Gap AGAIN was embarrassing.

That to me is crazy. Always use your best player. WHERE ARE THE ROLL OUTS? WTF? Seriously JH is mobile, get him out in space for godsakes.

The offense feels constrained to me. They should play with a more backyard football mentality like the Chefs... Let Justin get out and make plays ffs.
              agree..... and it was not a short 4th and inches or one... it was 4th and more than a yard and a half,..... at our own 20..... with only 3 points down.... not 3 or 4 TDs.... and Chargers are NOT a big power running team.....

If you are going to go for it you put ball in hands of your best player, Herbert...... when we had LT in his prime, he was our best player, he could run or jump over or throw a pass..... use your strength than weakness.....

Comment

• REH
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Staley probably cost the Chargers 3-4 games with his nonsense. The Chargers didn't win a single game because of his coaching. Current status: BUM

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by REH View Post
                  Staley probably cost the Chargers 3-4 games with his nonsense. The Chargers didn't win a single game because of his coaching. Current status: BUM
                  Clearly you haven't watched many Charger games with this take.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    I have to say, I have some real concerns about Brandon Staley.

Let's put aside his controversial decision-making for a moment. What really cost this team a trip to the playoffs this season was not last night's game, it was the Houston game. To his credit, Staley took the blame for the loss. But that loss should never have happened. The team played inexplicably poorly. Other examples of the team not appearing prepared were at Baltimore and at Denver - two teams that finished under .500 this season. At times Staley appeared to be in over his head as a head coach.

Another thing that has really bothered me. He wanted to bring in Lombardi to run the Saints offense. But his QB, Justin Herbert, is nothing like Drew Brees, and IMO the offense Lombardi installed does not use Herbert's strengths to the full. You can say Lombardi was limited by how well the OL could protect Herbert. But when the game was on the line last night, Lombardi had no choice but turn Herbert loose, and Herbert delivered, even if it came down to having to convert on 4th down. He accomplished this with a dog tired OL, with Storm Norton struggling to contain Crosby, who was constantly in Herbert's face. I have to ask, what was Staley thinking when decided to bring in offensive coordinator and system designed for a short passing game with a QB like Brees, when the QB he was inheriting is Justin Herbert, a much different player than Brees? I don't get it. Meanwhile, the offensive coordinator whom Herbert flourished under as a rookie, who set rookie records, whom Staley let go, is in the playoffs with another young QB.

Most disappointing is Staley's impact, or lack thereof, on the defense. Defense is what got Staley the job. Defense is his identity, his calling card. But this season's defense was no better, or worse than, last season's D. I think we were all expecting a pretty significant improvement on defense, at least some improvement, but in the end his defense was no better than the defense of the previous DC, whom, by the way, beat the Chargers last night.

Then there is his over-reliance on analytics and how he lets that dictate his decision-making. The decision not to take the 3 pts at the end of the 1st half against the Chiefs, and his decision to go for it on 4th and 2 on the Chargers' 18 yd line defy belief IMO. I'd like to see the analytics that says going for it on 4th and 2 on your 18 is the right decision. Real football people understand what he is doing? Really? Those two decision may very well have cost the Chargers both games, and ultimately, a spot in the playoffs.

I hope he can learn and improve from this season and be a better coach next season. We are going to be stuck with him for awhile. But I am concerned, and I can guarantee that Telesco, and more importantly, the Spanoses are concerned about Staley too. It seems last season they became so enamored with Staley the didn't do their proper diligence. His tenure in the NFL was so brief, there wasn't a lot to evaluate him on. He appeared to be this boy genius wonderkind that performed miracles with the Rams' defense. They became fixated him and didn't really do a thorough coaching search. They didn't want to lose Staley to another team, so they pounced on him. But Staley is not the guy who was sold to the public. Anthony Lynn finished his first season one game over .500, just missing the playoffs. Staley accomplished no better. Lynn last season finished 7-9, winning his final four games. Staley finished 9-8 this season, losing three of his final four. I do wonder if the Spanoses have some degree of buyer's remorse this morning.

I'm not giving up on Staley. He is intelligent and very cerebral. But he has to learn from his mistakes this season and be better next season. And he has to learn to weigh common sense against analytics when making crucial game in-game decisions.
                    I have no problem with the use of analytics and going for it on 4th down. You can definitely question the play calling since analytics doesn’t take that into account. But I’m fine with his decisions for the most part.

The issue of concerns are basically everything else you mentioned such as the huge letdown against the Texans. And the defensive struggles. It felt like we lost last night not because of the TO at the end or the 4th down decisions but because of the 3rd and 23 conversion by the Raiders. That play encapsulates our issues this year specifically third down defense and run defense at the end. Especially with all our guys healthy defensively for this game.

Edit: here’s the analytics for last night’s 4th down decision.

​​​

Comment

• Silversurfer
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Los Angeles
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                      Staley is not a defensive guru. Look at our D. Rams looked good because of great personnel. See Aaron Donald. Staley is a good salesman. He has under achieved this year with rookie coordinators. We need a better GM and coordinators; and a coach willing to learn and be flexible.
                      I do question his player personnel decisions at times. He said KM was our best coverage LB in dime package, thats why he was in there. After he said that all I can think about is the P.I that was worse than a blind man running around.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

ACho on one of the sports shows said staley took a timeout to put in personnel to stop the run...but yet he took out a MLB and instead put in a safety (or some sort of db). I'd think if ur gonna try n stop the run you'd beef up the IDL or put in more LBers.
                        He replaced Murray with Joseph our DT. It was a personnel meant to stop the run. We still gave up 10 yards.
                        https://theathletic.com/3061189/2022...major-letdown/

Two Jacobs runs set the Raiders up with a third-and-4 from the Chargers’ 39-yard line. Staley called a timeout with 38 seconds left. He was expecting another Raiders run and did not like the nickel personnel grouping he had on the field. During the timeout, he took linebacker Kenneth Murray out of the game and replaced him with run-stuffing nose tackle Linval Joseph. The Chargers needed a stop. If they prevented a conversion, the Raiders would have been faced with a difficult decision: Take a timeout and attempt a field goal from well over 50 yards, or let the clock run out and guarantee a playoff berth with a tie.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by REH View Post
                          We also won a lot of games because of his coaching. His 4th down decisions allowed us to beat the Chiefs, Raiders, Browns, Bengals, and Eagles. The issue is the defense, which he needs to find ways to make better. But he needs to continue being aggressive and trusting the analytics.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍