• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SRJOE View Post
    Rex Ryan is unironically a weird cuckold who should be ostricised completely. That guys comment is why you can't take any sports media seriously.

Staley knows defense and he knows that it's our biggest weakness. The only time I can fault him in the past few games wasn't even this game - it was against the Chiefs where we put it into their hands at the end of the game. He trusts Herbert on our 20 rather than hand it back.

As for the end of the game there's no way that the Raiders weren't going to go for the win. Nothing changed that. You know who they'd face with a tie? lol.
    I happen to agree with Ryan: you cannot win games, but you can lose games doing stupid things like going for it on your own 18 yard line.
    He also said the Chargers were a way more talented football team than Oakland; Unlike us, he's an objective observer.

Here's another quote i liked from the other board:
    "I'm not ready to give up on the guy, but Staley's got to look in the mirror. He single-handedly submarined one of the guttiest QB performances of all time last night. Herbert is a nice guy but will eventually tire of "stupid" from his own coach being his biggest hurdle."

Herbert had an all time great game and they still lose to a not very good football team. Let that sink in.
    It goes so much beyond the ill advised 4rth down, or the ill advised time out: again, the team was not prepared to play and came out flat; again, the coaching staff failed to make adjustments at halftime and they lost the 3rd quarter.

How many 3rd quarters did they win this year?

Comment

• DallasEire
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2019
      • Send PM

I think it is reasonable to step back and hope that Staley's packaging will match performance next season because we know it would be ridiculous to get back into the mode of forever change. Teams forever turning over head coaches are Clipper like franchises.

That being said, a fair accounting of his performance would be less than that of Mike McCoy's year one. We know how that ended up but McCoy ended up taking SD to the playoffs with a defense with far less in personnel. That team had Donald Butler (pre-quit Butler) as their best defender and Thomas Keiser (who?) as their best pass rusher and corner backs of Richard Marshall, Shereece Wright, and a special teams player ( Stuckey ) playing safety. Melvin Ingram was just coming back gingerly (late in the year from an ACL). On offense their main back was Woodhead - a great player with Ronnie Fucking Brown playing in the playoffs for that waste of talent (Ryan Matthews). That team went to Denver and won ( Denver's only home loss that season ) and to Cincinnati in the playoffs to win ( Cincinnati's only home loss that season ) with that personnel on Defense.

Just a reminder of the fact that we can't always sit here and claim we have Telesco and personnel issues when a coach needs to work with what they have. Staley is known as a strategic wunderkind and yet, we have any proof of that yet ? Just a reminder that McCoy for all of his other flaws did have a strategy of how to approach the season and games with absolutely fucking nothing on defense and found a way to the divisional round of the playoffs. We currently have an expanded field of playoff teams, a top five quarterback, and teams like Oakland, Gray Cock up in Pittsburgh, and Philly in the playoffs this year.

It isn't prudent to move on from Staley without enough time to confirm but i think we can at least temper the proclomations of defensive genius or strategic genius. There is nothing in the 2021 team that suggests anything more than wasted opportunity. The AFC is wide the fuck open and we have the best quarterback or damn close to it while we sit home and Coach Smoke wonders why it didn't go down.

So Far, after year one McCoy > Staley. That is just factual based on performance and we better hope it doesn't continue to trend that way

Comment

• DallasEire
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2019
        • Send PM

BTW, Rex Ryan went to two Conference Title Games with Mark Sanchez as QB.... I think he is a little better coach than being considered here. I think he's done. He likes being a zany personality on television but he could coach. I have no doubt SD has a Super Bowl performance or two if we go Rex in 2007 over Fuck Stick Norv.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I happen to agree with Ryan: you cannot win games, but you can lose games doing stupid things like going for it on your own 18 yard line.
          He also said the Chargers were a way more talented football team than Oakland; Unlike us, he's an objective observer.

Here's another quote i liked from the other board:
          "I'm not ready to give up on the guy, but Staley's got to look in the mirror. He single-handedly submarined one of the guttiest QB performances of all time last night. Herbert is a nice guy but will eventually tire of "stupid" from his own coach being his biggest hurdle."

Herbert had an all time great game and they still lose to a not very good football team. Let that sink in.
          It goes so much beyond the ill advised 4rth down, or the ill advised time out: again, the team was not prepared to play and came out flat; again, the coaching staff failed to make adjustments at halftime and they lost the 3rd quarter.

How many 3rd quarters did they win this year?
          Yes but our D sucked this year. We didn't have a good workhorse RB and the right side of the Oline was not good enough. . . In regard to Rex Ryan his record as a head coach is 65-68 so what you are actually hearing when you listen to his rant against Staley is a man who was a HC in the NFL who didn't have the right stuff and failed miserably. Who cares what he thinks his opinion is that of a losing HC.

Comment

• BT3241
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2020
            • Send PM

I have to agree we did not have the defence to go forward. Teams with good defences go to the playoffs we would of lost at some point in the playoffs.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

If someone told me that a coach will be 6/7 on 4th down, I would say it's a very good year for him.
              Staley did that (with the help of JH10) in one game !
              If he kicks on the first 4th down, he is 6/6 and we win that game.

Comment

• BigBad
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

In the era of media narratives, as long as the players believe in what the coach is doing I'm fine with it. The majority of the media do not have a grasp on the actual talent level of this team. They say things for clicks and views and a lot of fans buy into it. This team right now loves this coach. The media is attacking him yet never say ANYTHING about Telesco. It's a constant "chargers are so talented". Football is won in the trenches and always will be. Our D is garbage in the middle and no coach is saving that. Half our O-line is complete garbage yet when the play calling is affected to mitigate that the fans and media say the play-caller sucks and is limiting Herbert. The talent on this team is not what the ignorant people think it is.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                  If someone told me that a coach will be 6/7 on 4th down, I would say it's a very good year for him.
                  Staley did that (with the help of JH10) in one game !
                  If he kicks on the first 4th down, he is 6/6 and we win that game.
                  Maybe. The entire game plays out differently if we punt and nobody can predict what would have happened.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Maybe. The entire game plays out differently if we punt and nobody can predict what would have happened.
                    The key play of the game was allowing 24 yards on a 3rd down and 23. The Raiders were basically giving up so the Chargers would have to use a time out and punt it deep in Chargers territory.. if the Chargers defense holds him to 20 yards - Chargers lead 14-10 at the half

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DallasEire View Post
                      I think it is reasonable to step back and hope that Staley's packaging will match performance next season because we know it would be ridiculous to get back into the mode of forever change. Teams forever turning over head coaches are Clipper like franchises.

That being said, a fair accounting of his performance would be less than that of Mike McCoy's year one. We know how that ended up but McCoy ended up taking SD to the playoffs with a defense with far less in personnel. That team had Donald Butler (pre-quit Butler) as their best defender and Thomas Keiser (who?) as their best pass rusher and corner backs of Richard Marshall, Shereece Wright, and a special teams player ( Stuckey ) playing safety. Melvin Ingram was just coming back gingerly (late in the year from an ACL). On offense their main back was Woodhead - a great player with Ronnie Fucking Brown playing in the playoffs for that waste of talent (Ryan Matthews). That team went to Denver and won ( Denver's only home loss that season ) and to Cincinnati in the playoffs to win ( Cincinnati's only home loss that season ) with that personnel on Defense.

Just a reminder of the fact that we can't always sit here and claim we have Telesco and personnel issues when a coach needs to work with what they have. Staley is known as a strategic wunderkind and yet, we have any proof of that yet ? Just a reminder that McCoy for all of his other flaws did have a strategy of how to approach the season and games with absolutely fucking nothing on defense and found a way to the divisional round of the playoffs. We currently have an expanded field of playoff teams, a top five quarterback, and teams like Oakland, Gray Cock up in Pittsburgh, and Philly in the playoffs this year.

It isn't prudent to move on from Staley without enough time to confirm but i think we can at least temper the proclomations of defensive genius or strategic genius. There is nothing in the 2021 team that suggests anything more than wasted opportunity. The AFC is wide the fuck open and we have the best quarterback or damn close to it while we sit home and Coach Smoke wonders why it didn't go down.

So Far, after year one McCoy > Staley. That is just factual based on performance and we better hope it doesn't continue to trend that way
                      100 % agree with this post.

No one is asking for Staley's resignation, or even Lombo's for that matter; but it is time to start pumping the brakes and take a hard look at what we have in Staley.
                      Way too much talk during the year about the boy genius without him earning his stripes, not only as a head coach, but as a defensive mind for that matter.

McCoy was more successful his first year; but he never adjusted to the ensuing situation, part of which had to do with the many injuries and lack of talent
                      on the Oline - same thing that undid Lynn. Also, other NFL teams eventually adjusted to McCoy & Lynn's tendencies: i'm afraid that that adjustment process happened more rapidly under Staley. Let's see what the 2nd act is like.
                      Last edited by powderblueboy; 01-11-2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
                        In the era of media narratives, as long as the players believe in what the coach is doing I'm fine with it. The majority of the media do not have a grasp on the actual talent level of this team. They say things for clicks and views and a lot of fans buy into it. This team right now loves this coach. The media is attacking him yet never say ANYTHING about Telesco. It's a constant "chargers are so talented". Football is won in the trenches and always will be. Our D is garbage in the middle and no coach is saving that. Half our O-line is complete garbage yet when the play calling is affected to mitigate that the fans and media say the play-caller sucks and is limiting Herbert. The talent on this team is not what the ignorant people think it is.
                        Agree 1000%.TT is the anti trencher and has no clue how to build a complete team.Hopefully Staley has full input this offseason.Next year we damn well better be deep in the POs if lil johnny wimp spaznos keeps Telesco another damn year.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The key play of the game was allowing 24 yards on a 3rd down and 23. The Raiders were basically giving up so the Chargers would have to use a time out and punt it deep in Chargers territory.. if the Chargers defense holds him to 20 yards - Chargers lead 14-10 at the half
                          And the shit show officiating. The PI call was trash. They were calling holding and PI on the Chargers very tight, yet every time they showed a replay of the Turds on D they were holding arms, jerseys in a blatant fashion and the refs just held their flags. Not blaming the refs 100% but them, the 4th down on the 18 (and the shitty play call on the 4th down) all contributed to what should have been a Chargers win. Also don't forget the stupid punt fumble.

Comment

Working...
                          X