• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

100 % agree with this post.

No one is asking for Staley's resignation, or even Lombo's for that matter; but it is time to start pumping the brakes and take a hard look at what we have in Staley.
    Way too much talk during the year about the boy genius without him earning his stripes, not only as a head coach, but as a defensive mind for that matter.

McCoy was clearly more successful his first year; but he never adjusted to the ensuing situation, part of which had to do with the many injuries and lack of talent
    on the Oline - same thing that undid Lynn.
    I think Staley needs better players that fit his scheme to see what he is as a defensive master mind

I mean, we see it every year that the hot shot OC is hired but without the same talent, are they as good of a coach.

Staley needs his type of players - so he and Telesco have a helluva lot of work to do

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The key play of the game was allowing 24 yards on a 3rd down and 23. The Raiders were basically giving up so the Chargers would have to use a time out and punt it deep in Chargers territory.. if the Chargers defense holds him to 20 yards - Chargers lead 14-10 at the half
      I'd contend that the key plays of the game came in overtime, when the Chargers were around the redzone and had a chance to win:
      play 1: run to Eck
      play 2: quick out to Guyton (who ran a sloppy out - why Guyton & why so quick?)
      play 3: fade route to Mdub in the endzone (very low success rate on those)......

As safe and lacking in creativity as any 3 play sequence ever.

Games are rarely lost in the 1rst, 2nd or 3rd quarters...unless you do something stupid.:beer:

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DallasEire View Post
        BTW, Rex Ryan went to two Conference Title Games with Mark Sanchez as QB.... I think he is a little better coach than being considered here. I think he's done. He likes being a zany personality on television but he could coach. I have no doubt SD has a Super Bowl performance or two if we go Rex in 2007 over Fuck Stick Norv.
        Rex is a great football coach.
        But take Revis and Cromartie off his Jets roster. And he isn't going anywhere with Sanchez. Defense and run game carried that team. QB job was don't mess it up.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'd contend that the key plays of the game came in overtime, when the Chargers were around the redzone and had a chance to win:
          play 1: run to Eck
          play 2: quick out to Guyton (who ran a sloppy out - why Guyton & why so quick?)
          play 3: fade route to Mdub in the endzone (very low success rate on those)......

As safe and lacking in creativity as any 3 play sequence ever.
          I wasn't a fan of those second and third down calls at all. You have a chance to win the game. It was 2nd and 6. Hell I would have probably ran Ekeler one more time on second down. At worst, it runs more time off the clock when a tie is not a bad solution. But it just keeps moving the chains

I will say on the Guyton play, Hayward got away with DPI. Meaning if the call was made where the guy was 20 yards from the ball was called, Hayward hit him early. And it wasn't close.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
            In the era of media narratives, as long as the players believe in what the coach is doing I'm fine with it. The majority of the media do not have a grasp on the actual talent level of this team. They say things for clicks and views and a lot of fans buy into it. This team right now loves this coach. The media is attacking him yet never say ANYTHING about Telesco. It's a constant "chargers are so talented". Football is won in the trenches and always will be. Our D is garbage in the middle and no coach is saving that. Half our O-line is complete garbage yet when the play calling is affected to mitigate that the fans and media say the play-caller sucks and is limiting Herbert. The talent on this team is not what the ignorant people think it is.
            This is an incomplete football team.
            If the Charger management had ever set any goals when hiring Telesco, he has failed all of them.
            Fortunately for Telesco, the Spanos aren't disciplined enough to set any goals.....they just want & feel.

Forever, some here talk about how every team under the Sun is more talented than the Chargers....they focus gimlet eyed on all the weaknesses of the team.
            It never occurs to them that other teams have weaknesses ripe for exploitation.

Oakland (Las Vegas:cuss is an example of a team that had few advantages over the Chargers. Ruggs dismissal took a big chunk out of the danger of that offense.
            Waller still was shaky and didn't really contribute much to the Charger defeat....and yet, the Raiders dominated a majority of that game. Without Herbert playing one
            of the great Charger games at qb, it would have been a humiliation. It was a perfect primer to evaluate the coaching staff and they flat out failed. There is no way to view
            it otherwise. The Charger coaching staff was exposed on Sunday.

What i like about Staley are these things:

1. He works well with Tommy/John and the scouting staff to bring in talent
            2. He and his staff have developed and improved upon some players performances who have been stuck in a rut (his staff's handling of Murray however has been atrocious)
            3. He is personable, handles relations with the players well, and is respected as a person (& not just as head coach of the team)
            4. He seems to work well with his staff: no weird animosities and territorial battles
            5. He has some motivational skills - the lack of energy against some teams has more to do with poor preparation and the long season.
            ....However, I do think that i am tiring of his coach speak to reporters.
            6. He is aggressive in spots and is not afraid of taking blame by doing the unconventional thing: his decision not to kick the field goal in K.C. near the end, and go for it on 4rth, Guyton's drop, was a big relief for me: Norv/McLynn would have sent out the field goal kicker, knowing he'd probably miss, but they wouldn't be blamed. I loved that move.
            7. His defenses early on did make big plays in the 4rth quarter to preserve victories: which mitigated their ineffectiveness overall.

Comment

• jox g
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Fire Staley - Hire Brian Flores
              OR
              Demote Staely to DC - Hire Mike Zimmer.
              OR Keep Staley as HC - Hire Fangio/Zimmer, Flores.
              Just dreamin

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I wasn't a fan of those second and third down calls at all. You have a chance to win the game. It was 2nd and 6. Hell I would have probably ran Ekeler one more time on second down. At worst, it runs more time off the clock when a tie is not a bad solution. But it just keeps moving the chains

I will say on the Guyton play, Hayward got away with DPI. Meaning if the call was made where the guy was 20 yards from the ball was called, Hayward hit him early. And it wasn't close.
                Yep that was DPI and there should have been a flag. But we were playing the refs and the Raiders Sunday night

Comment

• CivilBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
                  Fire Staley - Hire Brian Flores
                  OR
                  Demote Staely to DC - Hire Mike Zimmer.
                  OR Keep Staley as HC - Hire Fangio/Zimmer, Flores.
                  Just dreamin
                  I don’t think any of the above two will happen. Staley was not Urban bad

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

I would be happy with Flores or Fangio as DC

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Decision.
                      Like Derwin, I have Staley's back.
                      Here's why.

I grew up a Lakers fan, during the Jerry West/Wilt Chamberlain era.
                      Every year, the Celtics would win.
                      Finally, the Lakers broke through, doing it their way.

Then. Showtime.
                      Basketball history.

Justin Herbert is our Magic Johnson.
                      Staley our Pat Riley, Phil.

We are doing it our way.
                      Establishing who we are.

What matters is not that we went for it, but that we failed...doing it our way...this time.

Certain weaknesses, such as run defense, ORT, and depth, will surely be addressed.

The Charger Curse will be defiantly stomped to death,
                      and we will hoist the Lombardi soon, more than once.

Herbert's performance on Sunday
                      erases any doubts we have.

Perspectives of Staley will evolve from false accusations of "arrogance," to "he dares to be great."
                      You don't know ball

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Staley’s star has faded a bit in my book, I blame him for the KC loss and the not properly preparing the team to face the Texans. He showed on several occasions that he’s not experienced enough to be an NFL coach yet. On the other hand he also showed a ton of potential. If he can learn to stop doing stupid shit like going for it deep on his own side of the field in situations where it wasn’t warranted then there is hope for the future. He also mismanaged the clock several times this season which was a bit disconcerting but then on several other occassions he made solid decisions with time outs, challenges, and time management. He’s very much a work in progress. It would do him a bit of good to take more blame after games instead of saying the team didn’t execute every damn time. It’s almost like he’s afraid to lose face with his team so he blames them for everything, LOL. Marty was not the greatest coach from Xs and Os POV but he was a master manipulator he took blame even when his players screwed up and the players responded by playing even harder for him the following week. Staley could learn a thing or two from watching old Marty post game press conferences. I still like the kid but he’s not the genius everyone has made him out to be and he still has a lot to learn. His best coaching is still off in the future some where. Hopefully that future arrives sooner rather than later.
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                          Staley’s star has faded a bit in my book, I blame him for the KC loss and the not properly preparing the team to face the Texans. He showed on several occasions that he’s not experienced enough to be an NFL coach yet. On the other hand he also showed a ton of potential. If he can learn to stop doing stupid shit like going for it deep on his own side of the field in situations where it wasn’t warranted then there is hope for the future. He also mismanaged the clock several times this season which was a bit disconcerting but then on several other occassions he made solid decisions with time outs, challenges, and time management. He’s very much a work in progress. It would do him a bit of good to take more blame after games instead of saying the team didn’t execute every damn time. It’s almost like he’s afraid to lose face with his team so he blames them for everything, LOL. Marty was not the greatest coach from Xs and Os POV but he was a master manipulator he took blame even when his players screwed up and the players responded by playing even harder for him the following week. Staley could learn a thing or two from watching old Marty post game press conferences. I still like the kid but he’s not the genius everyone has made him out to be and he still has a lot to learn. His best coaching is still off in the future some where. Hopefully that future arrives sooner rather than later.
                          Yes, definitely. I loved listening to the guy during his initial pressers but that wore off when he couldn't get it done on the field. We were 8-5 battling for the #1 seed and went 1-3 to close the season. That's when he should have been at his best with a healthy squad. Instead he committed coaching malpractice against the Chiefs and Raiders. Texans was an all around abortion. .

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍