• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I don’t think much is going to change next year, staley’s mind set is to invite teams to run to defend against the deep pass. Remeber when everyone prioritized stopping the run first? LOL, but the recent trend in the NFL has teams trending back to power running games as more and more defenses have adapted to stopping the pass. Just like anything else extremes are bad staley needs to adjust his thinking to have a flexible scheme than can do both things moderately well. He doesn’t need a top ten defense to be a contender, he just needs a top 15-20 rank defense. and right now based on the adjustments I saw from staley last year, I’m not sure the results are going to be that different in 2022. I’m not jumping ship on Staley yet if we have a repeat of this next year, he needs to go. Maybe guys that weren’t even coaches at any level and have only been in the NFL as coordinators for one season might not be prepared to be head coaches? just sayin’

Staley is very inexperienced and it really showed last season. Inexperience can be just another form of incompetence. Will he learn? IDK, but I hate to think the Justin Herbert’s career would be this guy’s introduction to learning how to be a head coach
    Get back to me if we do dedicate resources on defense and still have the same issues.

And like I previously posted, it’s not like he hasn’t tried to fix the run defense during the season.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Get back to me if we do dedicate resources on defense and still have the same issues.

And like I previously posted, it’s not like he hasn’t tried to fix the run defense during the season.
      I’ve said some negatives now let me highlight some positives; Nwosu, Tillery, Adderly, White, Jones, and Tranquill all improved. How much was that them just going thru their maturation as players and how much was it Staley? IDK, my gut tells me to credit Staley. But even as those guys improved K9 and Davis regressed badly and Samuel seemed to go backward as the season progressed too. Our pass defense improved but our run defense tanked. At some point if your system is too complicated how are you helping your players play better? We were promised a scheme that would create less double teams and more 1 on 1 matchups for Joey Bosa. Did that come to fruition, what do the numbers say about that one compared to last year?

I certainly hope that he turns it around, hopefully an infusion of players will get us closer to what was promised. The single biggest disappointment for me was the defense. Staley coached the #1 defense in the league last year and the 26th overall this year, even Bradley did better than that with basically the same people

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I’ve said some negatives now let me highlight some positives; Nwosu, Tillery, Adderly, White, Jones, and Tranquill all improved. How much was that them just going thru their maturation as players and how much was it Staley? IDK, my gut tells me to credit Staley. But even as those guys improved K9 and Davis regressed badly and Samuel seemed to go backward as the season progressed too. Our pass defense improved but our run defense tanked. At some point if your system is too complicated how are you helping your players play better? We were promised a scheme that would create less double teams and more 1 on 1 matchups for Joey Bosa. Did that come to fruition, what do the numbers say about that one compared to last year?

I certainly hope that he turns it around, hopefully an infusion of players will get us closer to what was promised. The single biggest disappointment for me was the defense. Staley coached the #1 defense in the league last year and the 26th overall this year, even Bradley did better than that with basically the same people
        Davis and Murray regressing is concerning. Samuel went backwards because he suffered two concussions and came back late in the year.

There’s a balance when it comes to a defensive system. Make it too easy on the players and it becomes easy for the opposing offense as well. We’ll have to see how the players respond in their second year in it especially as we get more necessary pieces.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
          Sometimes Staley sounds like a fortune cookie:

The oracle of delphi: a new thread is needed to interpret his pronouncements this offseason.

I'll throw in my 2 cents and a plug nickle as always.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Someone’s got to be optimistic for next year after what happened.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

There's a difference between a talented team and a championship team.
              Brandon Staley
              Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
              Ben Herbert

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                There's a difference between a talented team and a championship team.
                Brandon Staley
                Belichick knows that saying well. Can we actually do something like that though?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

To summarize what Staley said/implied at the end of season presser,

the inconsistencies were chiefly caused by injuries to either or both DL and DB during the season.

He could not fully run his defense.
                  Ben Herbert

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    To summarize what Staley said/implied at the end of season presser,

the inconsistencies were chiefly caused by injuries to either or both DL and DB during the season.

He could not fully run his defense.
                    Werent we the healthiest team in the league our last game agains the turds?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Werent we the healthiest team in the league our last game agains the turds?
                      Yes. Very healthy. When Andre Roberts fumbled, my immediate thought was of the play where Parham was concussed. We were in for a weird evening.

Staley was commenting as part of season in review. So I look for DL/DB depth to improve and for that to make us more consistent.
                      Staley admits we must improve and upgrade.
                      Ben Herbert

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Here's my fortune cookie for Staley:

cookie.JPG

And here's my TT fortune cookie:

tt cookie.JPG

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Staley seems high on life in his videos and it's very infectious! I'm feeling better having watched him a couple times just now.
                          Yep the man is smart enough to see to problems on this team and fix them he's a coach that carries the formula of "the secret" in his back pocket.... His coaching and system puts the players in a position to win these games most of the time,

He's saying basically in his exit press conference that we didn't have enough depth on the team to run the D on all cylinders. Again the problems on this team are very fixable and I'm pretty sure its safe to say Staley knows what sort of football players he needs for his D to run optimal.

PS IF the WR on the packers bails after this offseason that could be a good FA to give big money to.

Comment

Working...
                          X