First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

I hated that our defense was so horrible this year. But I’m giving Staley the benefit of the doubt it’s a roster issue given what he tried to do to mitigate the problems during the season. But he does need to change certain things like not giving some of White’s snaps to Murray instead. There’s room for optimism including his in game management, helping Herbert improve, etc. But we need to improve dramatically on defense as well as ST next year, while having the offense stay relatively the same or marginally improve.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Kyle Shanahan kicked three field goals instead of going for it on 4th down in the first half of yesterday's playoff game, and those field goals proved to be the margin of victory.

(4:53 - 1st) 4th & 11 at DAL 35 Robbie Gould 53 Yd Field Goal

(9:40 - 2nd) 4th & 1 at DAL 22 Robbie Gould 40 Yd Field Goal

(3:03 - 2nd) 4th & 6 at DAL 34Robbie Gould 52 Yd Field Goal

You can argue that Staley would not have gone for it in the first instance, 4th & 11 at the Dallas 35 (again, he just might have)

But in the 2nd quarter, on 4th & 1 from the Dallas 22, and again on 4th & 6 from the Dallas 34, Staley would have gone for it instead of kicking from there. Shanahan opted for the points, and in the end, those 6 pts provided the margin of victory. Because the 49ers were leading by the margin of those two field goals at the end of the game, Dallas had to go into desperation mode in their final drive, because they had to score a TD to overcome those 6 pts, they couldn't kick a field goal to tie or win the game. I fear that Staley is going to stubbornly stick to his dogged adherence of analytics - ala Josh McDaniels - and not learn from his mistakes. How Shanahan managed yesterday's game in Dallas - where he was an underdog - is a model for how to win close games in the NFL.
      SF absolutely should have gone for it on 4th and 1. Dallas couldn’t stop them. I was pulling for Dallas and was happy to see SF take the FG there.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        I hated that our defense was so horrible this year. But I’m giving Staley the benefit of the doubt it’s a roster issue given what he tried to do to mitigate the problems during the season. But he does need to change certain things like not giving some of White’s snaps to Murray instead. There’s room for optimism including his in game management, helping Herbert improve, etc. But we need to improve dramatically on defense as well as ST next year, while having the offense stay relatively the same or marginally improve.
        There is low hanging fruit to improve the offense, which is at right tackle. I also am optimistic that in year two of the same offense, Herbert will actually be better.

The special teams was 28th in DVOA and the only reasons it wasn’t 32nd was Hopkins and Roberts. So they should get better. Defense is where we need to invest heavy capital in both the draft and free agency.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

There is low hanging fruit to improve the offense, which is at right tackle. I also am optimistic that in year two of the same offense, Herbert will actually be better.

The special teams was 28th in DVOA and the only reasons it wasn’t 32nd was Hopkins and Roberts. So they should get better. Defense is where we need to invest heavy capital in both the draft and free agency.
          In an effort to leave no stone unturned,
          BPA @ #17 is going to be WR, a Buckeye or a Razorback.
          ​​​​​
          Let MW go.
          Sign some D.
          I see midround DTs, EDGE.

:couch:
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I really think you need stop using bad examples. Especially since both teams tried their best to give each other the victory yesterday. It’s that type of conservative thinking that cost Lynn his job in 2020.
            Bad example? Kyle Shanahan just won a playoff game by kicking field goals on 4th down. Staley couldn't get his team into the playoffs.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

SF absolutely should have gone for it on 4th and 1. Dallas couldn’t stop them. I was pulling for Dallas and was happy to see SF take the FG there.
              SF won the game by kicking a field goal.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Bad example? Kyle Shanahan just one a playoff game by kicking field goals on 4th down. Staley couldn't get his team into the playoffs.
                Unlike the regular season, someone has to win a playoff game. Honestly, it shouldn’t have been this close if Shanahan had stopped being cute and giving the Cowboys so many chances.

Comment

• JAFA
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Why punt at all then? 4rth and 12 from your own 10 yard line - go for it!!!
                  Next year let's see if we can go the entire season with no punts . . . . Waste of a roster spot

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Special teams could also use a better punter. They can do better than Ty Long.

Offense needs another good RB or two. After Ekeler the RB position isn't that good.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Hopkins certainly steadied the kicking position and that helped a lot, but he still is a step down from what the elite kickers can bring. The Bengals aren't in the SB if not for their rookie kicker I just don't see Hopkins nailing a 54 yard fg at the end of a game to win it for us.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Hopkins certainly steadied the kicking position and that helped a lot, but he still is a step down from what the elite kickers can bring. The Bengals aren't in the SB if not for their rookie kicker I just don't see Hopkins nailing a 54 yard fg at the end of a game to win it for us.
                        I totally agree. But I think the team can bring back Hopkins as I think a punter is a higher priority. Granted, if you can do both, get a good young kicker and punter. But am good with Telesco finding a punter: Araiza or the Georgia punter, Carmada comes to mind first.

Comment

• Parcells
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Hopkins is the best kicker we’ve had in a long time. We have plenty of other spots to upgrade. I’d roll with Hopkins but replace Long.

Comment

Working...
                          X