• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    This is when Coach Staley should have gone for it: Week 18 4:35 left in OT, 4th & 6 on the Raiders' 23 yard line. Instead he opted to tie, bringing in Hopkins to kick a 40 yd FG, and leaving the Raiders enough time to run it down the defense's throat to set up the winning FG. If he had elected to go for it on 4th down and the offense converted, it might have set up a TD or at least give the Chargers more time to bleed the clock before settling for a FG. I was surprised actually when Staley didn't go for it. It reminded me of Anthony Lynn's decision not to go for it on 4th down in OT in Herbert's very first start, against the Chiefs in Week 2 of 2020.

Also on the play previous to the Hopkins' field goal, on 3rd and 6, Herbert tried to hit Mike Williams in the right corner of the end zone, but Mike couldn't come down with it. On that play, Keenan Allen was pretty wide open in the middle of the field. Herbert probably should have faked to Williams and hit Allen over the middle. He might have scored on that play.
    The best time to go for it was at the end of regulation for the 2point try. But since it was better to go for a tie, what Staley and Lombardi should have done after the MW catch in OT was run the ball at least two times to chew up clock. And then try a pass on third down.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Are they better though? I just feel like there’s only so much you can do with Goff as your QB.
      They gave up 32 points to Green Bay in a loss
      & 20 points to Seattle in a win.

Zero turnovers by the Rams offense.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They gave up 32 points to Green Bay in a loss
        & 20 points to Seattle in a win.

Zero turnovers by the Rams offense.
        If you can’t effectively move the ball or score, you also put a lot more pressure on the defense.

Edit: I should probably add that yes Rodgers and the Packers did a great job of exploiting the Rams defense’s weaknesses to perfection last year.

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Whatever happened to continuity? Both players and coaches. It’s even more ridiculous in baseball…the turnovers from year to year in that sport. Nothing much left to grab onto after seasons end. Successful season and team? The next year they are gone, hired away. The sport practically turns into a crapshoot the next season. The most notable example is when the Florida Marlins owner bought a World Series winning team, then had a huge fire sale the very next season. That team was totally stripped. Finished last the next season. NFL not getting much different these days.
          Last edited by Caslon; 02-15-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Staley record first year: 9-8, 1 game over .500
            Lynn record first year: 9-7, 2 games over .500

Staley Chargers career record: 9-8- 1 game over .500
            Lynn Chargers career record: 33-31 two game over .500

Staley last four games of first season: 1-3
            Lynn last four games of first season: 3-1
            Lynn last four games of final season: 4-0

Staley's record with Derwin James healthy and playing: 9-8
            Lynn's record with Derwin James healthy and playing: 12-4

Defense points allowed Lynn's first season (without Derwin James): 3rd
            Defense points allowed Staley's first season (with Derwin James): : tied for 29th

If you believe that you are what your record says you are, Staley was not an upgrade over Lynn in year 1. Lynn went 12-4 in his second season as HC of the Chargers, made the ;playoffs and won a road playoff game. Let's what Staley does in year 2.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

We defintely need more data points. I wonder what the strength of schedule was as weighting factors in those seasons. Having 2 afc west teams in the playoffs plus playing the afc north probably means for a more challenging season.

it typically takes a few years imo to see how a new coach and staff are doing. We completely reshuffled the whole deck under Staley and havent had but 1 draft and FA to get the team oriented towards Staleys vision. I will say getting to see plenty of video behind the scenes last season of Staley i think he has a makeup for people and Xs and Os that stent typical. He seems to have a clearer vision of practice and game day than Lynn. Its a no brainer for me…Staley is going to take us to better places.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

1-3 down the stretch when the team should have been playing it’s best.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Lynn's winning % his last 2 years- .375.
                  Stakey's W % year 1- .529.
                  Clearly an improvement. I'm most interested in what he does with this experience.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    Lynn's winning % his last 2 years- .375.
                    Stakey's W % year 1- .529.
                    Clearly an improvement. I'm most interested in what he does with this experience.
                    It Lynn’s last two years were his first two, he’d still be here. I don’t find the first year comparisons to be very relevant.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

It Lynn’s last two years were his first two, he’d still be here. I don’t find the first year comparisons to be very relevant.
                      What they have done most recently with most similar rosters and opponents isn't relevant? OK.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Remember that Lynn did not have Derwin James in 2019 and 2020, yet the defense was better both of those seasons than it was with James under Staley in 2021. Interesting that in Lynn's first season the team sunk itself at the beginning of the year by starting out 0-4, but finished the season by winning 6 of 7. Staley in his first season started out 4-1 but his team finished losing 3 of 4. Also interesting that Lynn finished his last season 4-0 and that team won 4 of 5 to start 2021. It is said that when a team changes coaches in the off-season, the team that starts the next season is still the team of the previous coach, that it takes a few games for the new coach to exert his full influence over the team. Just food for thought. I'm not a lover of Lynn, I'm just saying Staley has not proven himself to be an upgrade over Lynn, not yet anyway. But it's the Spanos Charger way. Norv to McCoy to Lynn, all ultimately failures, and right now Staley doesn't look any different.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

What they have done most recently with most similar rosters and opponents isn't relevant? OK.
                          What they’ve done most recently was Lynn’s last 2 years compared to last year Staley’s first. Are you talking to yourself? “Similar rosters” is the biggest guessing game in town, who knows on that?
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X