• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Peyton was on the Parcells Dallas staff, right? He knows exactly what he is getting in to. When McCarthy gets fired, pretty sure Peyton becomes the next HC. And I bet Dallas still under achieves and is a team that makes the playoffs but doesn’t do much.
    TG
    Exactly....and why he may not want it. Parcels, didnt want to come back after his 4th season because of Jerrah. He initially said he would never work for Jones but changed his mind because Jerrah treated his players well,.......but he meddles with coaches.

Payton was the QB coach at Dallas after being the OC for the Giants for 2000-2002.
    Incidentally I'll add that Fassell stripped Payton of his playcalling duties.

I mention that because everyone uses Lombardi getting let go from Detroit 8 years ago as a reason not to like him and wants Payton here (which isn't going to happen).

Well Payton got his playcalling duties taken away in NY. Word is Fassel was going to fire Payton after 2002 but Parcels hired him for the Cowboys QB coach position.

I guess he learned a thing or two along the way.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Exactly....and why he may not want it. Parcels, didnt want to come back after his 4th season because of Jerrah. He initially said he would never work for Jones but changed his mind because Jerrah treated his players well,.......but he meddles with coaches.

Payton was the QB coach at Dallas after being the OC for the Giants for 2000-2002.
      Incidentally I'll add that Fassell stripped Payton of his playcalling duties.

I mention that because everyone uses Lombardi getting let go from Detroit 8 years ago as a reason not to like him and wants Payton here (which isn't going to happen).

Well Payton got his playcalling duties taken away in NY. Word is Fassel was going to fire Payton after 2002 but Parcels hired him for the Cowboys QB coach position.

I guess he learned a thing or two along the way.
      I remember Payton getting his playcalling duties stripped during his last season with the Giants. They went on a winning streak after that and made the playoffs. I also remember Al Davis wanted to hire Payton after his first season with Parcells, but Payton declined, so Davis hired Norv Turner instead.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. If Payton had accepted the Raiders' head-coaching job in 2004 he would have reunited with Kerry Collins. Who knows what would have happened there, but Brees may have not been in New Orleans with a different head coach there. The saddest part about it is we witnessed Norv suck for two years in Oakland and still hired him as our head coach in 2007.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

It's comical. It's kind of fun, we can gripe about it no matter what he does. Win the Super Bowl and we'll forgive everything!
        I don't know if there was criticism or not and don't care. I know going for it all the time has supporters but to me its not the right call. Are there times to do it? Yes...near your own goal line maybe or when the game time is running out. But not from your own 30 or whatever it was.

Doesn't anyone find it odd he seems to have change? Why do you think? I think most likely somebody had a talk with him and said no more. Like that first drive against the Chiefs...we took the field goal and were up 3-0. That was great. Anyway....issues will always have supporters on both sides but that does not make that side that is wrong right. That is stating the obvious.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post

I don't know if there was criticism or not and don't care. I know going for it all the time has supporters but to me its not the right call. Are there times to do it? Yes...near your own goal line maybe or when the game time is running out. But not from your own 30 or whatever it was.

Doesn't anyone find it odd he seems to have change? Why do you think? I think most likely somebody had a talk with him and said no more. Like that first drive against the Chiefs...we took the field goal and were up 3-0. That was great. Anyway....issues will always have supporters on both sides but that does not make that side that is wrong right. That is stating the obvious.
          It is pretty evident he doesn't think we need to go for it so much because our defense is so much better and he trusts our ST much more.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

I agree with Rich, last year when he punted he knew it was likely the opponent would keep the ball a while and possibly even score. This year's improved defense has him believing we will get the ball back sooner than later.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Staley is being true to who he is. He has said from the day he started that it is about knowing your team, the game, the situation AND the analytics. And that is what he is doing this season, just like he did last season

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                I agree with Rich, last year when he punted he knew it was likely the opponent would keep the ball a while and possibly even score. This year's improved defense has him believing we will get the ball back sooner than later.
                If memory serves me correctly, they punted on the possessions we did not go for it, so the belief in the D was justified.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2022
                  • Send PM

Its only been two games. We have no idea if the defense is much improved or not. Pure conjecture. He stopped going for it on 4th because he wants to keep his job maybe.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Its only been two games. We have no idea if the defense is much improved or not. Pure conjecture. He stopped going for it on 4th because he wants to keep his job maybe.
                    If you can’t tell the D is substantially better than last year, than I got nothing.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If you can’t tell the D is substantially better than last year, than I got nothing.
                      Only been two games. Yes I agree with you...the defense does look better, especially against the run. But.....what exactly has Staley done with it? Nadah.
                      Last edited by QuiteFrankly; 09-25-2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2021
                        • Carlsbad, CA
                        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                        • Send PM

Outcoached by Petersen in the 1st half. Not a defensive guru as advertised.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                          Outcoached by Petersen in the 1st half. Not a defensive guru as advertised.
                          Staley is a salesman. We need a journeyman.

Comment

Working...
                          X