• Send PM

Staley in a nutshell: "it’s a sacred mantle for someone to call you coach"

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Thanks for posting the entire quote. I had read the first part from Manzano. A couple things stood out from the entire quote
      1) when Tomlin McVay and other coaches I have read been asked about this - they felt bad for Gruden. Staley was the first one to feel bad for the people that might be offended

2) that statement about "a sacred mantle for someone to call you coach" - speaks a lot about this guy

I was wrong - I will keep saying it. Brandon Staley is the real friggin deal as a head coach!

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I read somewhere that the Broncos, with old fuddy-duddy grumpy Vic Fangio lead the league in 4th down attempts this season. Who would have thought that?

In addition to the aggressiveness on 4th downs, I like the aggressive play calling when the Chargers are backed up deep in their own end, too. The days of running a draw for 6 yards on third and 10 from your own 7 are over. Lombardi is fearless.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Neither would I - just not sure that guy like you said is hitting the market.

Today - I actually have OG higher than DT. Especially if Justin Jones is coming back, post bye week. But if they can upgrade the IDL - a bit better now than Merrill - thats my baseline to cover. It might not be high - but just better

But with Aboushi out - think Telesco needs to hit the market for OG. And Forrest Lamp is not what I am thinking - want better.
          I think both positions are needs. After this year, DL is a huge need with Joseph, Covington and Jones all set to be UFAs next year per spotrac, so if we could get a guy under contract for more than just this year, that could take some pressure off of us heading into next year.

On the other hand, I would consider reaching out to David DeCastro to see how his recovery from his ankle surgery has gone. He played with Feiler, so that could be a plus in that situation if DeCastro has recovered. If not, then maybe someone like Brian Winters could present as a fall back option if we think Jaimes is not ready. I do not know if Winters is all that much better than Schofield.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            I read somewhere that the Broncos, with old fuddy-duddy grumpy Vic Fangio lead the league in 4th down attempts this season. Who would have thought that?

In addition to the aggressiveness on 4th downs, I like the aggressive play calling when the Chargers are backed up deep in their own end, too. The days of running a draw for 6 yards on third and 10 from your own 7 are over. Lombardi is fearless.

TG
            I think most coaches are seeing that punting the ball and hoping for a stop - its a thing of the past. Strategic use of going on 4th down/.

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2020
              • Send PM

Really great stuff here.

Best believe most players will trust someone like this over more experienced coaches.

Despite what many on this board will probably think of them, but Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, etc. have won their players' trust by being the same way.
              Last edited by MusicMakerInMe; 10-13-2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Fangio has always been sharp and flexible. It's not a surprise he'll adapt to new information.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                  I was wrong - I will keep saying it. Brandon Staley is the real friggin deal as a head coach!

I agree. He just impresses me more every day. I was against the Chargers hiring him because I thought he was too young and inexperienced. I was wrong. Telesco has hit a home run here.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Staley has really high EQ. People who haven't had leaders like that underestimate the impact it can have on an organization.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Sounds even better when you hear it. The “you know” bugged me a little when I was reading it. But hearing him talk and the emotions, those little nitpicks disappear.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • New Jersey
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        Sounds even better when you hear it. The “you know” bugged me a little when I was reading it. But hearing him talk and the emotions, those little nitpicks disappear.

Thanks. I was just going to post this.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          Staley has really high EQ. People who haven't had leaders like that underestimate the impact it can have on an organization.
                          That and a sophisticated football brain. Good combo

Comment

Working...
                          X