• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We got better against the run after the bye because Staley started loading up the boxes more and we got Justin Jones back. However, we started giving up more explosive passing plays. I’m giving Staley the benefit of the doubt his first year here since it did seem like he was using duct tape at the time. With that being said, defense should be a priority this offseason.
    How do you define getting better? If you're just being technical to make an argument I’m not interested in arguing with you. Improving a few decimal points or one or two spots from the bottom statistically is not getting better by my definition. The defense should’ve steadily improved as they learned his scheme further into the year, instead we got inconsistent play all the way thru culminating with their 174 yards given up on the ground performance in the last game of the year. The only statistical improvements I saw where those that resulted from playing teams with weaker offensive lines in the second half of the season, and even that didn’t materialize in the final game.
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

So you’re misremembering things about the benching. That only happened earlier in the year when we were winning and there were no injuries. Davis, White, and Tranquil also never got benched.

Staley benched Samuel against the Browns because he was playing horribly. But I believe that was the only time.
      There is the point that Murray was on the field at the expense of Kyzir White vs the Raiders with 44 getting his lowest snap count of the season I believe is what I heard.

Campbell got put in for staley reasons more than just the Browns game I am pretty sure
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

How do you define getting better? If you're just being technical to make an argument I’m not interested in arguing with you. Improving a few decimal points or one or two spots from the bottom statistically is not getting better by my definition. The defense should’ve steadily improved as they learned his scheme further into the year, instead we got inconsistent play all the way thru culminating with their 174 yards given up on the ground performance in the last game of the year. The only statistical improvements I saw where those that resulted from playing teams with weaker offensive lines in the second half of the season, and even that didn’t materialize in the final game.
        It probably didn’t help that key guys were in and out of lineup. The Texans game was horrible but also showed how little depth we have once our star guys were out.

This is what I could find.

This was observations after the Bengals game:
        An improved run defense, creative pressures and a career game from Uchenna Nwosu powered the Chargers' impressive defensive performance.

4. The Chargers now rank sixth in rush defense EPA since the bye week, according to TruMedia. This is no longer the worst run defense in football. Are they still prone to a bad game? Yes. That was clear from the Broncos loss. But the Chargers showed up against the Bengals rushing attack, and they have been showing up now for weeks.

A perfect example was the Bengals’ two-point conversion attempt in the third quarter with the Chargers leading 24-22. A 12-men-on-the-field penalty set the Bengals up from the 1-yard line. They tried a direct run up the middle to Mixon. The Chargers stonewalled him. That is not a play this defense makes earlier in the season. It was a massive moment in the game. The Chargers scored 17 unanswered points after that goal-line stand.
        This was observations after the Texans games;

8. The Chargers had improved their run defense markedly after the bye in Week 7. From Week 8 to Week 15, they ranked 15th in rush defense EPA, according to TruMedia. That improvement, though, flew out the window in this loss to the Texans. The run front got bullied. Jerry Tillery had a rough day in run defense. The linebackers and defensive backs missed tackles. It was ugly. What changed? For the first time since before the bye week, the Chargers played without Jones. Defending the run always comes down to more than one player. The Chargers also missed Bosa, Kyler Fackrell and Rumph in this game. Kenneth Murray played 51 snaps at edge rusher and lacked the size and physicality to make any sort of impact. But when it comes to Jones, the numbers speak volumes.

With Jones on the field this season, the Chargers are allowing 3.6 yards per carry, according to TruMedia. With Jones off the field, the Chargers are allowing 5.3 yards per carry.

Jones’ impact is even more apparent on early downs. With Jones off the field, the Chargers are allowing 5.5 yards per carry on first and second down. With Jones on the field, the Chargers are allowing 3.4 yards per carry on first and second down.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

There is the point that Murray was on the field at the expense of Kyzir White vs the Raiders with 44 getting his lowest snap count of the season I believe is what I heard.

Campbell got put in for staley reasons more than just the Browns game I am pretty sure
          Campbell was in the games more because Samuel had concussion issues. I’m not sure what the deal was with Murray and White but Tranquil also played his lowest snaps of the season due to his injuries. Let’s see if Popper finds out anything.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Also this:

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
              Which heads in the Charger's analytics department will have to roll?

A new suggestion for a Topcat poll.
              Don't need another lame poll lol :what:
              11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
              35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
              37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
              66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
              69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
              105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
              110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
              140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
              181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
              225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Don't need another lame poll lol :what:
                Besides, you can’t cut anyone’s head off if there’s no analytics department lol.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Lynn was 7-9 last season and the year end run was completely different than this year.

But agree about the little things like penalties and tackling.
                  I'm blowing off steam as well and dont want Staley fired after one season. But after starting 4-1 we went 5-7...that is definitely NOT a strong way to head into a playoff or offseason.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I'm blowing off steam as well and dont want Staley fired after one season. But after starting 4-1 we went 5-7...that is definitely NOT a strong way to head into a playoff or offseason.
                    Depends on how we ended up 5-7. This could as easily turn into a 2014 to 2015 season if we don’t find out the problem and fix it.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Depends on how we ended up 5-7. This could as easily turn into a 2014 to 2015 season if we don’t find out the problem and fix it.
                      I don’t think much is going to change next year, staley’s mind set is to invite teams to run to defend against the deep pass. Remeber when everyone prioritized stopping the run first? LOL, but the recent trend in the NFL has teams trending back to power running games as more and more defenses have adapted to stopping the pass. Just like anything else extremes are bad staley needs to adjust his thinking to have a flexible scheme than can do both things moderately well. He doesn’t need a top ten defense to be a contender, he just needs a top 15-20 rank defense. and right now based on the adjustments I saw from staley last year, I’m not sure the results are going to be that different in 2022. I’m not jumping ship on Staley yet if we have a repeat of this next year, he needs to go. Maybe guys that weren’t even coaches at any level and have only been in the NFL as coordinators for one season might not be prepared to be head coaches? just sayin’

Staley is very inexperienced and it really showed last season. Inexperience can be just another form of incompetence. Will he learn? IDK, but I hate to think the Justin Herbert’s career would be this guy’s introduction to learning how to be a head coach

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• cmplxgal
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • New Jersey
                        • Send PM

Sometimes Staley sounds like a fortune cookie:

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey