• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhilaBoltster
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

And a failure is also like a turnover...while a punt is not.
    No coach has ever said that we lost the game because we punted twice.....except perhaps Staley next year.

Some are insisting in spinning dross into gold.

Going for it in that situation has no reliable stats that you can remotely use.....the defense becomes super animated, sensing a game shifting moment.
    Defenses thrive off of energy.

Stupid, stupid, stupid decision.

The regrettable play selection was just icing on that retarded cake.
    A punt is giving the ball back to the other team. It’s like a turnover, just with better field position.

The decision cost the Chargers 3 pts. The Raiders scored 26 points on their other 9 possessions in this game, so it was basically their average anyway.

And you can’t assume the Raiders would have gone three and out after a punt, they might have gotten into field goal range regardless. If anything I thought the defensive stop by the Chargers should have helped their momentum, but they went three and out the next possession again.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

A punt is giving the ball back to the other team. It’s like a turnover, just with better field position.

The decision cost the Chargers 3 pts. The Raiders scored 26 points on their other 9 possessions in this game, so it was basically their average anyway.

And you can’t assume the Raiders would have gone three and out after a punt, they might have gotten into field goal range regardless. If anything I thought the defensive stop by the Chargers should have helped their momentum, but they went three and out the next possession again.
      Who says punts are like turnovers? You hear coaches say all the time "we can't fumble the football 3 times and expect to win."
      No coach has ever said "we can't punt the ball 3 times and expect to win"....its not the same thing, not even close.

Of course, 10 of those 26 other Raiders points came off of actual turnovers: so that makes 16 points off of 7 punts...2.3 points per punt,
      and 5.33 points per turnover of the fumble, interception, failed 4rth down variety.

The only possible reason that i can think of to go for it in that situation is that you are concerned with your D tiring with all the running the Raiders were doing.
      Fail, and at least the Raiders will have 6 downs or fewer.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Hopkins was reliable enough, Viz was not.

I liked the decision at the time to go for it at KC, with the lead, on that windy day. It was an unusual decision: Norv and McLynn would have sent out Viz,
        thinking that he would probably miss, but they would not get the blame.

It certainly has some influence on 4rth downs within field goal range. Staley did send out Hopkins to kick that field in OT.
        I was thinking pre-Hopkins, but even Hopkins was pretty inconsistent this season. He was OK with us, but there was a reason Rivera kicked his ass out of DC.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Talking about analytics...here's the smoking gun for our defensive failures this season. Fun watch with incriminating evidence at the end of discussion. Oh my!

:whistlin:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

This exchange from the other site:

- What I think is Max Crosby made him his straight bitch. That's what I think ?

- This illustrates my concern with Staley......

So everybody in the world knows Crosby is going to have a great game if Norton is asked to be more than he is. Why wasn't there a plan, and if there was a plan, why wasn't there an adjustment when the plan failed? It can't be that hard, as clubs do this to Bosa all the time.....

And i'll just add that it wasn't the first game in which they were overconfident in Storm Norton's abilities and decided to not give him much help.
            It blew up in their face the first time.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

So everybody in the world knows Crosby is going to have a great game if Norton is asked to be more than he is. Why wasn't there a plan, and if there was a plan, why wasn't there an adjustment when the plan failed? It can't be that hard, as clubs do this to Bosa all the time.....

And i'll just add that it wasn't the first game in which they were overconfident in Storm Norton's abilities and decided to not give him much help.
              ^^^THIS^^^ WHY OH WHY was norton left on an island with Crosby?!!! Norton is about THE WORST T in football going against one of the better edges! what were they thinking not helping him out?! Or better yet remove his slow uncoordinated ass and put in Pip? The guy looks like he has two left feet, put on BACKWARDS! just so much fail all around from coaches down to all 3 phases of the game.

on a nice note the patsies got demolished!
              Last edited by jubei; 01-18-2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

BUF shows what we are looking for.

LB/SAF fills.
                DL/LB backside pursuit.
                Not "stoutness" per se.
                “Don't let this Bills run defense go unappreciated vs New England... Excellent gap fits and then backside pursuit all game long. Really buckled up and shut down this Patriots run game Great example here - watch Poyer/Milano take on, and then Harrison/Klein chasing https://t.co/z0VyrSS7AK”
                You don't know ball

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Kyle Shanahan kicked three field goals instead of going for it on 4th down in the first half of yesterday's playoff game, and those field goals proved to be the margin of victory.

(4:53 - 1st) 4th & 11 at DAL 35 Robbie Gould 53 Yd Field Goal

(9:40 - 2nd) 4th & 1 at DAL 22 Robbie Gould 40 Yd Field Goal

(3:03 - 2nd) 4th & 6 at DAL 34Robbie Gould 52 Yd Field Goal

You can argue that Staley would not have gone for it in the first instance, 4th & 11 at the Dallas 35 (again, he just might have)

But in the 2nd quarter, on 4th & 1 from the Dallas 22, and again on 4th & 6 from the Dallas 34, Staley would have gone for it instead of kicking from there. Shanahan opted for the points, and in the end, those 6 pts provided the margin of victory. Because the 49ers were leading by the margin of those two field goals at the end of the game, Dallas had to go into desperation mode in their final drive, because they had to score a TD to overcome those 6 pts, they couldn't kick a field goal to tie or win the game. I fear that Staley is going to stubbornly stick to his dogged adherence of analytics - ala Josh McDaniels - and not learn from his mistakes. How Shanahan managed yesterday's game in Dallas - where he was an underdog - is a model for how to win close games in the NFL.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Did you see that the Chiefs did to TJ Watt last night? Their right tackle was eligible. At the snap, he engaged Watt, put a block on him and slowed him down, then slipped into the end zone and Mahomes lofted an easy pass over Watt's head and hit his right tackle in the end zone. Watt had no clue. I'd like to see Lombardi devise something like to use against Crosby.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Kyle Shanahan kicked three field goals instead of going for it on 4th down in the first half of yesterday's playoff game, and those field goals proved to be the margin of victory.

You can argue that Staley would not have gone for it in the first instance, 4th & 11 at the Dallas 35 (again, he just might have)

But in the 2nd quarter, on 4th & 1 from the Dallas 22, and again on 4th & 6 from the Dallas 34, Staley would have gone for it instead of kicking from there. Shanahan opted for the points, and in the end, those 6 pts provided the margin of victory. Because the 49ers were leading by the margin of those two field goals at the end of the game, Dallas had to go into desperation mode in their final drive, because they had to score a TD to overcome those 6 pts, they couldn't kick a field goal to tie or win the game. I fear that Staley is going to stubbornly stick to his dogged adherence of analytics - ala Josh McDaniels - and not learn from his mistakes. How Shanahan managed yesterday's game in Dallas - where he was an underdog - is a model for how to win close games in the NFL.
                      I'm shocked Robbie Gould can still kick 52 & 53 yard FGs.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Did you see that the Chiefs did to TJ Watt last night? Their right tackle was eligible. At the snap, he engaged Watt, put a block on him and slowed him down, then slipped into the end zone and Mahomes lofted an easy pass over Watt's head and hit his right tackle in the end zone. Watt had no clue. I'd like to see Lombardi devise something like to use against Crosby.
                        Block? That was a molestation! He tossed Watt aside like a ragdoll.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I really think you need stop using bad examples. Especially since both teams tried their best to give each other the victory yesterday. It’s that type of conservative thinking that cost Lynn his job in 2020.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍