Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Players need to have a little fear of the coaches in them. They can’t be allowed to get comfortable and decide they’re doing well enough.
    Agreed.
    "healthy fear"
    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Agreed.
      "healthy fear"
      Agreed. As a manager I've found that there's a balance needed between an employee and employer, contractor and owner, etc; respect, encouragement, support, training (essentially building up) countered with a certain amount of concern on the employee / contractors part that he is regarded as valuable. It's different with every employee - some are more understanding of management's position, some are more sensitive to criticism. some are just too much to deal with (and are removed).

I can't imagine the effort it must take on the coaching staff's part to manage all of the personalities on a football team, and the head coach has to manage his staff as well as the players, along with being the final word on who stays and who goes. What a job!!!! It's a good thing it pays well - burnout is a real thing.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agreed. As a manager I've found that there's a balance needed between an employee and employer, contractor and owner, etc; respect, encouragement, support, training (essentially building up) countered with a certain amount of concern on the employee / contractors part that he is regarded as valuable. It's different with every employee - some are more understanding of management's position, some are more sensitive to criticism. some are just too much to deal with (and are removed).

I can't imagine the effort it must take on the coaching staff's part to manage all of the personalities on a football team, and the head coach has to manage his staff as well as the players, along with being the final word on who stays and who goes. What a job!!!! It's a good thing it pays well - burnout is a real thing.
        They're all competitive..
        The pay is very good but everyone involved has to set their personal goals & limits.
        As a team they should share one goal.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
          They're all competitive..
          The pay is very good but everyone involved has to set their personal goals & limits.
          As a team they should share one goal.
          Much more succinct - thank you!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

You need to be empathetic (and competent) to generate enthusiastic loyalty and trust, but you do have to avoid the buddy hole. As I get older, i recall i didn’t make that transition particularly well at first. My leaders thought i did, i knew the parts i did poorly without them being problems. i didn’t like the frank conversations that are required, I had to learn that.

Its always interesting watching young kids promoted from IC to Manager and see how they take on the new role.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You need to be empathetic (and competent) to generate enthusiastic loyalty and trust, but you do have to avoid the buddy hole. As I get older, i recall i didn’t make that transition particularly well at first. My leaders thought i did, i knew the parts i did poorly without them being problems. i didn’t like the frank conversations that are required, I had to learn that.

Its always interesting watching young kids promoted from IC to Manager and see how they take on the new role.
              I love watching the kids learn the ropes :rofl:. IMO there's a whole lot of key elements to management type positions that never get addressed in college programs. All those accounting classes taken for a Construction Management degree don't help if you're an A**hole.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                Can you share which players Staley has a strained relationship with? I just have not read anything about that or seen anything either. Seems like everyone who ever played for him loves the guy and he has been a draw for FAs (if you watch the Van Noy presser after OTAs he is not faking his love for coach)

Or do you maybe mean he has said guys like Davis and Tillery need to step it up?

TG
                just my sense of things when watching videos of him "rapping it down" w/his players, as he's got this sorta jive talk that doesn't seem overly genuine to him, and think the players' response is just to politely respond/or take it down a notch, as they recognize that Staley is sorta trying too hard to be that kinda guy w/his players, and.... don't think he is.

in my experience, as once upon a time being pretty into rap, and also being a haole spending a fair amount of time over in Hawaii, the one thing you don't do is talk pidgin w/a local, or try to be a homeboy w/the boyz from the real hood.... you get sussed out in a hurry, and most times it doesn't end so well, let alone them taking a liking to you, and....

that's obviously an exaggeration w/Staley and his player relations, albeit just think he oversteps his jurisdiction sometimes when interacting w/players, as sense he isn't as authentic as he could be, as he def doesn't have much if any homeboy to him, and just don't think he's spent much time w/the brothers and sisters outside of or off of the playing field.

he also seems strained when he addresses his team after the game.... Boss Ross was Bobby Ross 100 percent.... he wasn't trying to gain anyone's favor, and ditto for AJ, and for better or worse.

and you can call it what you want.... just used strained, as that what first came to me, but have said a time or coupla few before, that am uneasy w/some of Staley's interactions w/his players, and wishing (for his sake) that he would take his schtick down a notch or two, and be the real BS.
                RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

just my sense of things when watching videos of him "rapping it down" w/his players, as he's got this sorta jive talk that doesn't seem overly genuine to him, and think the players' response is just to politely respond/or take it down a notch, as they recognize that Staley is sorta trying too hard to be that kinda guy w/his players, and.... don't think he is.

in my experience, as once upon a time being pretty into rap, and also being a haole spending a fair amount of time over in Hawaii, the one thing you don't do is talk pidgin w/a local, or try to be a homeboy w/the boyz from the real hood.... you get sussed out in a hurry, and most times it doesn't end so well, let alone them taking a liking to you, and....

that's obviously an exaggeration w/Staley and his player relations, albeit just think he oversteps his jurisdiction sometimes when interacting w/players, as sense he isn't as authentic as he could be, as he def doesn't have much if any homeboy to him, and just don't think he's spent much time w/the brothers and sisters outside of or off of the playing field.

he also seems strained when he addresses his team after the game.... Boss Ross was Bobby Ross 100 percent.... he wasn't trying to gain anyone's favor, and ditto for AJ, and for better or worse.

and you can call it what you want.... just used strained, as that what first came to me, but have said a time or coupla few before, that am uneasy w/some of Staley's interactions w/his players, and wishing (for his sake) that he would take his schtick down a notch or two, and be the real BS.
                  Wow, sorry bro- you carry a lot of deeply scarred baggage around this airport. We see what our brain tells us to see. You think he’s trying to fake he’s a wannabe gangsta rapper hood homeboy and you can read the players negative reaction to his inauthentic fakery? I am not catching that. Any public references of any player saying anything? If the entire team was disgusted with his fake gangsta cracker play, someone would have said something - its 2022. Got a single example anywhere?

Bobby Ross blew it all up, unable to work with or work it out with the other Bobby who flamed out at his next stop and disappeared forever. AJ quickly grew into a Class A Asshole who’s ego swallowed the band like Ziggy Stardust. he was a complete dick to everyone who didnt kiss his ringless finger. What are those two examples of - authentic? No thanks, I’ll take my fake homeboy over either of them,

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Interesting take....that i dont see at all. But its interesting because it is an opinion. Though you may be alone in that opinion but if you were a writer for the lowly BFTB or Boltbeat, this would be splattered all over the internet like the bad articles that the kid Jason Reed writes and many here thinks is valid and has legs while having zero asociation to the team lol.

Just the first thing i thought of when reading your post.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-03-2022, 07:21 AM.
                    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Some of y'all read way too much into way too little. Proverbial shadows on a cave wall.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        Some of y'all read way too much into way too little. Proverbial shadows on a cave wall.
                        Agree

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Staley has spent most of his life being a football player or working with football players. He is genuinely Staley.
                          I think players respect the level of effort and success he brings to the job. They're ready to love being a post season team.

Comment

Working...
                          X