• Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

LAC 2021 Draft - Value, Reaches and Steals

FYI I used the draft trade values ( where the player actually went vs where he was ranked) to measure the value in each pick .For ex Rashawn Slater was projected to go 11 ( 1250 value) but we got him at 13 ( 1150 cost) so net value of 100.

This is just a quick numerical look to measure each each pick and limited as it doesn't consider trades, or need but FYI

We did ok on most picks . Slater was ranked 11 and we took him at 13. Asante Samuel was great value ranked #24 who we got at 47. I liked getting EDGE rusher Chris Rumph in Rnd 4 ~ fair value as after a LT IMO that was our biggest need. Wish we went EDGE in Rnd 3 where we had slight reaches for WR and TE but still a very good draft overall.

Jaimes and Webb were projected to each go a round earlier so good value too.

Untitled.png
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Chargers Draft Grades * Hindsight is 2021

will first say that am fairly certain that if we had drafted Wirfs @6 last year and held onto Philip that we woulda been in the playoffs, and now that we’ve got a legit starting tackle, and with Justin, do think the playoffs are squarely in our sights, if not that we are good ‘n ready to overtake KC in the division.

and given Tom’s good fortune with Justin last go ‘round, and given the addition of Staley and staff, am more than willing to give this draft the benefit of the doubt, despite how it hankers for draft’s gone past.

013) OT Rashawn Slater * was never on this bandwagon, as took him for more of a guard, and was deterred by the arm length issue, and…. now that he is a Charger, do think he’s a starting tackle that will be a substantial upgrade, and despite that he might end up an All Pro guard when all is said and done.

Grade A+ as not only is he a most certain starter, but is deserving of the plus given that he can move inside as well. think he’s a starting tackle and an All Pro @guard for the if and when he moves inside.

alternative selections >> LB Zaven Collins, OT Christian Darrisaw/Teven Jenkins, trade up/down

047) CB Asante Samuel Jr. * didn’t really care for his intangibles, as doesn’t strike me as one of those rock solid individuals (see Rashawn), but he is a fit and obviously by meeting with him (@least) twice, it seems the Chargers had substantial interest in him. and just like Rashawn, guessing he holds down a starting corner position for now, @least until Harris moves on and we maneuver for his replacement then.

Grade A as despite my bit of uneasiness re: his intangibles, will bump the A- up to a solid A, given that he can play inside as well as out, not to mention he makes plays and seems to have a nose for the action.

alternative selection >> SR Rondale Moore, LB JOK
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

077) WR Josh Palmer * willing to give this pick the benefit of the doubt on several accounts. for one, the third round most always has an unheralded receiver who ends up being one of the top targets in the League, and not to mention that Tom has had luck with a receiver in the third round, with Keenan. add in the fact that our new staff seems to be keen on him, not to mention the coach that worked opposite him in college, which obviously gives the Chargers the inside edge if his intel is good.

Grade B+ as he might not be the top shelf caliber wideout that goes day one, albeit he could well be that workmanlike productive NFL wideout that most fans wish was on their squad, not to mention we’ve got the Herb man pushin’ his productivity, and may well have a wide open opening post MW and 2022 FA.

alternative selections >> SS Divine Deablo, TE Tommy Tremble, OG Wyatt Davis/Kendrick Green

097) TE Tre McKitty * not quite so bullish on this guy, as he could well be all that, but am a tad wary in that personally thought HH was overdrafted a bit, and suspect that this guy came off the board a tad early too, and not to mention that @least by my account, was intrigued by a later prospect in Pro Wells, so there was less immediacy/urgency for me here, ‘specially given that there were plenty prospects of choice, again by my take, so less inclined to reach for a need, if that was indeed the case. he does help with the 12 personnel, and does hedge a position that we def are not flush with as don’t think the Donald is a 12 personnel TE, and more a situational pass catcher ??

Grade C+ as think he’s a bit of a reach, but def fills a hole on the roster, despite that in the long run think he’s not much more than TE3.

alternative selection >> IOL Quinn Meinerz, SCB Elijah Molden, CB Ifeatu Melifonwu, DE Elerson Smith
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

118) LB Chris Rumph II * not overly excited ‘bout this guy, albeit guessin’ that he’s a hedge/replacement for the likes of Tranquill and/or Kyzir ?? situational pass rusher that is prolly better at a lower weight.

Grade D+ as not sure ‘bout his level of competition, what weight is he gonna play at, and can he get to the QB/handle NFL linemen ??

alternative selection >> RB Chuba Hubbard, DE Janarius Robinson

159) RT Brenden Jaimes * thought this guy was a made to order developmental tackle for Green Bay, but team Tommy John intervened, and perhaps Bulaga can give him the inside track on how to take care of his biz @RT. the compare to Joe Thuney ain’t just hot air, and can’t help but think this guy has a chance to be better than Sam, which was another Telesco day three selection.

Grade B as think this is prolly hellah good value down here, as ‘tis not overly uncommon to get a starter @RT on day three. It can be done, and perhaps team Tommy John did just that.

alternative selection >> SCB Shaun Wade, WR Simi Fehoko

185) LB Nick Niemann * of course like every other player taken today, the lip service is gonna be tried and true, and yes this guy is prolly a special teams demon, has some athletic traits, and…. am not passing on guys that were still on the board, ‘specially Hamsah…. missing on him hurts.

Grade F as dude is a straight UDFA that bumped a darn fine prospect in Nasirildeen.

alternative selection * SS Hamsah Nasirildeen, OG Deonte Brown

198) RB Larry Rountree III * sorry, but is he much more than a body, and can’t imagine he’s the better player than Kylin Hill, albeit and granted we have an injury prone Justin Jackson on the depth chart there.

Grade D as admittedly don’t know much ‘bout this guy, but just think we left talent on the board here.

alternative selections >> OG Trey Smith

241) FS Mark Webb * ok, so he doubles as a corner, is a special teamer, and is prolly decent in zone, and…. he’s another UDFA, and wherein our Chargers’ brass was not drafting players, but rather position.

Grade F as granted, my take is just that and guaranteed my lazy ass armchair grade prolly ain’t fair to the guy, and…. don’t like to see the guys that are left on the board, and can’t believe the some if not all of ‘em are the better gambit than the most of our last handful of picks.

alternative selection >> RB Kylin Hill, DE LaBryan Ray, TE Pro Wells, ILB Dylan Moses

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

my hindsight draft…. w/all the intel the team gets, got no shame in putting my board together after the fact

013) LB Zaven Collins * know all y’all love you some Rashawn, and still woulda rather had this guy
          047) OC Josh Myers * a big reach in some eyes, and the question (@least for GB) is if he’s better than Creed
          077) RB Trey Sermon, SS Divine Deablo * both of these guys came off the board earlier than eye thought they might
          097) CB Ambry Thomas * little too rich for my blood, as thinkin’ he was more a day three guy
          118) NT Tyler Shelvin, LT Josh Ball, DT Daviyon Nixon * a coupla few bigger bodies for our LOS team
          159) CB Nate Hobbs * quietly made it into the fifth round, as think this guy has the look of a future NFL vet
          185) SS Hamsah Nasirildeen * prolly the most painful miss of the process as thought he was @least a half a draft earlier talent
          198) OG Trey Smith * ‘nother guy that eye woulda really, really liked to have had as a Charger
          241) TE Pro Wells * don’t know a ton ‘bout this guy, but woulda gladly taken a shot @him here

will add, and has been my recollection/experience, that when my prospects of choice fall to day three or out of the lottery/mainframe altogether, there is usually a reason, and their odds get long/er, and in a hurry, to make an NFL roster….

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

that's the marker for an avg draft w/9 selections.

in the past our team Tommy John has been very avg, and personally suspect they have done it again, as think that's just about the number of players eye would credit them in this draft.

the silver lining is that an avg haul is 3.5, as the allotted number of picks is 7, so in theory we are one player ahead of the curve, than we would have been if we had had the standard allotment.

Tom also foretells us that we are on schedule for more than seven selections again in 2022, so hopefully optimism will continue to abound....

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
              my hindsight draft…. w/all the intel the team gets, got no shame in putting my board together after the fact

013) LB Zaven Collins * know all y’all love you some Rashawn, and still woulda rather had this guy
              047) OC Josh Myers * a big reach in some eyes, and the question (@least for GB) is if he’s better than Creed
              077) RB Trey Sermon, SS Divine Deablo * both of these guys came off the board earlier than eye thought they might
              097) CB Ambry Thomas * little too rich for my blood, as thinkin’ he was more a day three guy
              118) NT Tyler Shelvin, LT Josh Ball, DT Daviyon Nixon * a coupla few bigger bodies for our LOS team
              159) CB Nate Hobbs * quietly made it into the fifth round, as think this guy has the look of a future NFL vet
              185) SS Hamsah Nasirildeen * prolly the most painful miss of the process as thought he was @least a half a draft earlier talent
              198) OG Trey Smith * ‘nother guy that eye woulda really, really liked to have had as a Charger
              241) TE Pro Wells * don’t know a ton ‘bout this guy, but woulda gladly taken a shot @him here

will add, and has been my recollection/experience, that when my prospects of choice fall to day three or out of the lottery/mainframe altogether, there is usually a reason, and their odds get long/er, and in a hurry, to make an NFL roster….
              No offense, but I'm sure glad you weren't drafting for us. You lose all credibility with your analysis of pick 118. You're not sure about his level of competition? LOL.... Last time I checked the ACC is a pretty damn good conference.

FYI....NASirildeen... I don't really get your love affair with this guy because he is strictly a box safety. He couldn't cover a pylon. My .02

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

In hindsight you don’t want a LT? Interesting take.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

The thing I really like about this draft is best available lined up with biggest needs early in the draft. TT stayed patient and didn’t outthink himself. I also feel like all 3 phases were improved throughout the draft. ST especially always feels like it’s left out but this year at least 3 of the picks feel like instant contributors specifically for ST, exactly what we needed. Would have liked a big body for the DL but it wasn’t a great draft for that so I can understand why we went different ways. Also not a lot of picks I felt I had to talk myself into liking. Overall I think this is a very promising sign of Staley’s influence on the organization.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                    The thing I really like about this draft is best available lined up with biggest needs early in the draft. TT stayed patient and didn’t outthink himself. I also feel like all 3 phases were improved throughout the draft. ST especially always feels like it’s left out but this year at least 3 of the picks feel like instant contributors specifically for ST, exactly what we needed. Would have liked a big body for the DL but it wasn’t a great draft for that so I can understand why we went different ways. Also not a lot of picks I felt I had to talk myself into liking. Overall I think this is a very promising sign of Staley’s influence on the organization.
                    We may have got a DUDE in UDFA - Jared Goldwire to compete for/fill this role
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

According to this article we are ranked 17th overall when measured against the consensus draft board. This article is not free unfortunately. Slater was the biggest steal while McKitty was the biggest reach.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Here’s our grades from another place. We did really well and were ranked third overall:
                        Draft 2021 grades.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞