• Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

and your take is related to what.... ??

basically got called out as a blowhard.... just throwin' out another opinion, 'specially given that the odds of a Telesco/Staley draft being an avg haul, is prolly more likely than not.

that's his take, which is usually pretty good/spot on, and.... am eye s'pose to take it as gospel, just coz it came from a ranking member of this forum ??

other peoples' take/my notes >> hard hitting safety w/coverage skills, FFs, can handle deep zone/middle of the field, top 50, 2019 ACL injury.... doesn't sound all bad to me, 'specially @the back of day three, 'n 'specially compared to what for my take is someone I coulda well waited to take my chances as an UDFA.
    The uniform opinion here is that Telesco hit a home run this draft.
    That's always the uniform opinion after every draft....
    Some nice first few picks: one lacking length, the other size;
    some head scratchers on day two that we've come around on,
    and a day 3 featuring an undersized edge rusher, a slow running back and a slow db

Throw in a career defining injury and three years down the line we typically comment on it being another dud.isser:

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Group think
      Melting Pot
      Everybody had a great draft
      Like this pick but rather have that one
      This result represents the Chargers think tank
      love it or hate it
      its now who we are

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Why did Elway go to Stanford? He should have gone to a real football school.

Rivers to NC State, like eww.

Manning to Tennessee. What was he thinking?
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Why did Elway go to Stanford? He should have gone to a real football school.

Rivers to NC State, like eww.

Manning to Tennessee. What was he thinking?
          Kahlil Mack.... Why did that dude go to Buffalo?
          Bobby Wagner... utah St...
          Devante Adams .. Fresno ST.... Why didn't he go to a Powerhouse School?

I can list a ton of these....let alone Zaven Collins is fine for going to Tulsa....real powerhouse program.
          ​​​​​

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Kahlil Mack.... Why did that dude go to Buffalo?
            Bobby Wagner... utah St...
            Devante Adams .. Fresno ST.... Why didn't he go to a Powerhouse School?

I can list a ton of these....let alone Zaven Collins is fine for going to Tulsa....real powerhouse program.
            ​​​​​
            We could make quite a team of HOFers that went to small schools.
            Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Jackie Slater, Larry Allen, Jason Taylor, John Stallworth, Larry Little, Bob Hayes, Jerry Kramer, Charles Haley, Andre Reed, Art Shell, Deacon Jones, Marion Motley, Shannon Sharpe, and about 25 more.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

LACs 2021 draft was widely ranked high by pundits. It's not just Chargers fans as usual ( which does happen).
              Let's play football! Settle it on the gridiron.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                my hindsight draft…. w/all the intel the team gets, got no shame in putting my board together after the fact

013) LB Zaven Collins * know all y’all love you some Rashawn, and still woulda rather had this guy
                047) OC Josh Myers * a big reach in some eyes, and the question (@least for GB) is if he’s better than Creed
                077) RB Trey Sermon, SS Divine Deablo * both of these guys came off the board earlier than eye thought they might
                097) CB Ambry Thomas * little too rich for my blood, as thinkin’ he was more a day three guy
                118) NT Tyler Shelvin, LT Josh Ball, DT Daviyon Nixon * a coupla few bigger bodies for our LOS team
                159) CB Nate Hobbs * quietly made it into the fifth round, as think this guy has the look of a future NFL vet
                185) SS Hamsah Nasirildeen * prolly the most painful miss of the process as thought he was @least a half a draft earlier talent
                198) OG Trey Smith * ‘nother guy that eye woulda really, really liked to have had as a Charger
                241) TE Pro Wells * don’t know a ton ‘bout this guy, but woulda gladly taken a shot @him here

will add, and has been my recollection/experience, that when my prospects of choice fall to day three or out of the lottery/mainframe altogether, there is usually a reason, and their odds get long/er, and in a hurry, to make an NFL roster….
                I may be a week late(er) on this but we ALWAYS crow about OL and it was our weakest link last year and we FINALLY draft OL in one and we say LB instead??? I can't see it. In fact you take an OC in 2 and no other appreciable OL aside from a possible 4th and 6th? No thanks!!!!!

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We could make quite a team of HOFers that went to small schools.
                  Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Jackie Slater, Larry Allen, Jason Taylor, John Stallworth, Larry Little, Bob Hayes, Jerry Kramer, Charles Haley, Andre Reed, Art Shell, Deacon Jones, Marion Motley, Shannon Sharpe, and about 25 more.
                  Don't forget Craig Mager........

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

I think we’ve all digested information and come to group consensus the Chargers did about as well as they could so should all rejoice, but..... starting with those 3rd rd selections, believe they had players slotted ahead of other players without adding enough weight to need.

What got me to reboot my thinking about this, was the what if.... Aaron Rodgers becomes the Broncos QB. Wouldn’t that change your hierarchy of needs too?

So started rehashing the draft board for edge rusher #1 priority in the 3rd rd. Starting from #77-#97 this range offers some solid options, but the player who stands out to me was Oklahoma Sooners DE/OLB Ronnie Perkins, selected #96 just ahead of the Chargers #97. So my question is would anyone here be in favor of selecting Perkins #77 over Josh Palmer and wait to see if he is available #97? Or do you think Chargers were going to take Perkins #97 but the Patriots poached him right before there pick?

I’m pretty sure they could still have drafted McKitty where they got Rumph in the 4th. I’m not down on Rumph, just that he is so much more raw, and a project, where as Ronnie is ready day one to be excellent edge rusher. He is thicker, stronger, more explosive with excellent bend and violent use of hands. I really think the Chargers have not yet addressed enough talent and ready depth opposite Bosa to dictate the line of scrimmage against a QB like Rodgers, should he move to Donkeys.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                      I think we’ve all digested information and come to group consensus the Chargers did about as well as they could so should all rejoice, but..... starting with those 3rd rd selections, believe they had players slotted ahead of other players without adding enough weight to need.

What got me to reboot my thinking about this, was the what if.... Aaron Rodgers becomes the Broncos QB. Wouldn’t that change your hierarchy of needs too?

So started rehashing the draft board for edge rusher #1 priority in the 3rd rd. Starting from #77-#97 this range offers some solid options, but the player who stands out to me was Oklahoma Sooners DE/OLB Ronnie Perkins, selected #96 just ahead of the Chargers #97. So my question is would anyone here be in favor of selecting Perkins #77 over Josh Palmer and wait to see if he is available #97? Or do you think Chargers were going to take Perkins #97 but the Patriots poached him right before there pick?

I’m pretty sure they could still have drafted McKitty where they got Rumph in the 4th. I’m not down on Rumph, just that he is so much more raw, and a project, where as Ronnie is ready day one to be excellent edge rusher. He is thicker, stronger, more explosive with excellent bend and violent use of hands. I really think the Chargers have not yet addressed enough talent and ready depth opposite Bosa to dictate the line of scrimmage against a QB like Rodgers, should he move to Donkeys.
                      Before the draft it’s always ‘take BPA, don’t reach for need’ then after the draft when unexpected players get taken because they don’t match need people complain. To me the only player I can’t really argue as a BPA was McKitty at 97, I also don’t really have a problem with the pick because of our need there and it being the late 3rd.

With that being said I don’t think Perkins was ever on our board due to off-field issues. I also don’t see him as a tremendous talent over Rumph. Physically he has more of a typical NFL body than Rumph but in terms of their technique, hand usage, setting up moves, and production Rumph beats out Perkins. Curious as to why you see him as a raw prospect? If he easily carried weight at around 250 Rumph might have been a 1st rounder, likely 2nd rounder.

I’m also not a huge fan of building your team just to cancel out what another team is doing, or in the case of Rodgers to the donkeys possibly doing. We already have Mahomes in our division for the next decade, if they wanted to build around just stopping a top QB there’s already more than enough motivation to do that with KC. Staley has said since he came here he wants all 3 phases to be aggressive, and to me that means that he wants to control what other teams are doing. Building a roster to stop specific players and schemes doesn’t match that mindset in my opinion.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Be your own judge, to me, Rumph is a project with traits you hope to develop. For what it’s worth, Lance Zierlein loves Chris Rumph and see’s him fitting joker role. Everybody can think whatever they want this point, all our needs but needs change based off what your competition does and you have to adjust, that’s all I’m saying. That and want starter sooner than later to address edge pass rusher. Think someone will get signed prior to season opener.

Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 05-12-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

I wanted Perkins at 77 and Melifonwu at 97 at the time of the draft picks but I can believe Perkins was off our board completely.

Comment

Working...
                          X