• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
    He has played like a beast. Improved season over season even while moving to OLT seamlessly.
    I love this Oline class. If we keep all of our 11 picks, we should snag 3.
    All the talking heads say to watch Ekwonu’s game against MSU. So I did. He’s definitely the mauler everyone says he is, and his footwork looks pretty good in pass pro. Reminds me of a more powerful AVT.

But man, I came away just as impressed with Charles Cross. He’s not a mauler like Ekwonu, but he’s quick, fluid, and technically sound. Great body positioning and recognition of where his QB’s at. Reminds me a little of Slater’s college tape. And the kid’s only a Sophomore.

Main takeaway: I’d be happy with either guy as our future RT.

As far as drafting goes, I think you’re right, grab 3. Spend a high pick for the future RT, a plug and play starter like Cross or Petit-Frere. Then get a guy with inside/outside versatility. Someone like Rhyan or Zion Johnson. Then take a developmental project like Raimann or Dontae Bull in the later rounds.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Dane Brugler’s top “under the radar” prospects:

Note: Otomewu and Wright are the two that stand out as guys the Chargers could use.

Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana (6-6, 301)
      Louisiana never had an offensive lineman drafted until two years ago when they had two picks (Robert Hunt and Kevin Dotson) in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ragin’ Cajuns will send another offensive lineman to the NFL via the draft in April with Mitchell, who has taken a sizeable jump from last season. With his NFL starting potential, he has the talent to be a Day 2 selection and one of the first 10 tackles off the board.

Now in his third season as a starter, Mitchell is a light mover and keeps his feet underneath him, which allows him to adjust to moving targets. His hand exchange is much improved, keeping his hands quiet, tight and on time. I wish he were more of a bully in the run game, but he runs his feet at contact and is able to stalk and stun at the second level.

Mitchell was outstanding against Texas earlier this season, allowing only one pressure, which came on the final play of the game. In this clip, you can see the right tackle’s active hands and ability to knock away the rusher’s reach.

Bryan Cook, DS, Cincinnati (6-1, 205)
      The Cincinnati defense is loaded with draft picks: Ahmad Gardner, Myjai Sanders, Coby Bryant and Darrian Beavers. But don’t overlook Cook, who is the most dependable tackling safety that I have scouted so far in this draft class. Through seven games, he has 42 tackles, five passes defended and one interception.

A Cincinnati native, Cook spent two seasons at FCS-level Howard before transferring up to the Bearcats and playing in a reserve role last season behind starters Darrick Forrest and James Wiggins. Both were drafted last April, creating the opportunity for Cook to move into a starting role and impress NFL scouts.

Cook has terrific spatial awareness and reads well from depth to attack downhill or sort through route combinations. As a run defender, he out-leverages blockers mid-pursuit and does a great job coming to balance, widening his stance and tackling low and through his target. Cook is in the mix to be the next senior safety drafted after Penn State’s Jaquan Brisker.

Esezi Otomewo, DL, Minnesota (6-5, 292)
      Most know about Minnesota’s Boye Mafe, who could be a top 100 selection, but he isn’t the only Gophers senior defensive end with an NFL future. A second-year starter, Esezi Otomewo (pronounced uh-SAY-zee o-TOE-may-woh) is one of the top run defenders in the Big Ten. Those close to the program praise his character and work ethic inside the building.

While he needs time to develop his pass rush plan and execution, Otomewo has outstanding length (34-inch arms) and plays with the physicality to disengage from blocks. He needs to clean up the missed tackles, but his chase skills allow him to track down ball carriers. He has the raw traits that NFL teams will bet on in the middle rounds, projecting best as a five-technique end.

Gerrit Prince, TE/HB, UAB (6-5, 240)
      Regardless of which underclassmen declare, tight end will be one of the deepest positions in the draft class. One of the more underrated tight ends in the country, Prince ranks No. 4 among all FBS pass catchers (No. 1 among tight ends) in receiving yards per catch (22.4). He leads the Blazers in every receiving category with 21 catches for 471 yards and seven touchdowns.

While he doesn’t have the size of a prototypical in-line tight end, Prince has the athleticism and pass-catching traits of an oversized wide receiver. He catches the ball well in stride and consistently makes plays as a ball carrier, averaging 12.6 yards after the catch. As a blocker, he reaches his landmarks and runs his feet at contact to occupy defenders. Prince has turned himself into a draftable prospect with several similarities to Dalton Keene, who was drafted No. 101 overall by the New England Patriots two years ago.

Eyioma Uwazurike, DL, Iowa State (6-6, 310)
      Evaluators are studying the Iowa State front seven primarily for linebacker Mike Rose and pass rusher Will McDonald. But Eyioma Uwazurike (pronounced ee-YO-much ooh-WAH-zuh-REE-kay) is playing his best football as a sixth-year senior. He’s forcing scouts to reevaluate the priority free agent grades from the summer. He currently ranks second on the team in tackles for loss (seven) and sacks (five).

Lining up both inside and outside on the Cyclones’ multiple front, Uwazurike fires upfield with active hands and a determined mentality. He will lose his balance through contact at times, but he gives blockers all they can handle with his blend of power and quickness. Uwazurike isn’t a lock to be drafted, but there is a much greater chance that he hears his name called now compared to two months ago.

Alex Wright, edge, UAB (6-7, 270)
      The moment he arrived on campus as a freshman, Wright was too good to keep off the field and his impact has only grown from there. Now a junior captain, he leads the Blazers in tackles (29) and sacks (four) and his responsibilities expand with every game.

Wright has a long, stretched-out frame with the athleticism to drop in space, chase in the run game or attack gaps as a pass rusher. He doesn’t rank in the top 70 nationally with only four sacks, but that is mostly because of his limited pass rush opportunities. According to Pro Football Focus, Wright has a 26.6 percent win rate on pass rush snaps, which ranks fourth-best in the country behind only Oklahoma’s Nik Bonitto, South Carolina’s Kingsley Enagbare and Michigan’s Aidan Hutchinson. Still an underclassman, Wright will have an NFL decision to make after the season.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        Dane Brugler’s top “under the radar” prospects:

Note: Otomewu and Wright are the two that stand out as guys the Chargers could use.

Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana (6-6, 301)
        Louisiana never had an offensive lineman drafted until two years ago when they had two picks (Robert Hunt and Kevin Dotson) in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ragin’ Cajuns will send another offensive lineman to the NFL via the draft in April with Mitchell, who has taken a sizeable jump from last season. With his NFL starting potential, he has the talent to be a Day 2 selection and one of the first 10 tackles off the board.

Now in his third season as a starter, Mitchell is a light mover and keeps his feet underneath him, which allows him to adjust to moving targets. His hand exchange is much improved, keeping his hands quiet, tight and on time. I wish he were more of a bully in the run game, but he runs his feet at contact and is able to stalk and stun at the second level.

Mitchell was outstanding against Texas earlier this season, allowing only one pressure, which came on the final play of the game. In this clip, you can see the right tackle’s active hands and ability to knock away the rusher’s reach.

Bryan Cook, DS, Cincinnati (6-1, 205)
        The Cincinnati defense is loaded with draft picks: Ahmad Gardner, Myjai Sanders, Coby Bryant and Darrian Beavers. But don’t overlook Cook, who is the most dependable tackling safety that I have scouted so far in this draft class. Through seven games, he has 42 tackles, five passes defended and one interception.

A Cincinnati native, Cook spent two seasons at FCS-level Howard before transferring up to the Bearcats and playing in a reserve role last season behind starters Darrick Forrest and James Wiggins. Both were drafted last April, creating the opportunity for Cook to move into a starting role and impress NFL scouts.

Cook has terrific spatial awareness and reads well from depth to attack downhill or sort through route combinations. As a run defender, he out-leverages blockers mid-pursuit and does a great job coming to balance, widening his stance and tackling low and through his target. Cook is in the mix to be the next senior safety drafted after Penn State’s Jaquan Brisker.

Esezi Otomewo, DL, Minnesota (6-5, 292)
        Most know about Minnesota’s Boye Mafe, who could be a top 100 selection, but he isn’t the only Gophers senior defensive end with an NFL future. A second-year starter, Esezi Otomewo (pronounced uh-SAY-zee o-TOE-may-woh) is one of the top run defenders in the Big Ten. Those close to the program praise his character and work ethic inside the building.

While he needs time to develop his pass rush plan and execution, Otomewo has outstanding length (34-inch arms) and plays with the physicality to disengage from blocks. He needs to clean up the missed tackles, but his chase skills allow him to track down ball carriers. He has the raw traits that NFL teams will bet on in the middle rounds, projecting best as a five-technique end.

Gerrit Prince, TE/HB, UAB (6-5, 240)
        Regardless of which underclassmen declare, tight end will be one of the deepest positions in the draft class. One of the more underrated tight ends in the country, Prince ranks No. 4 among all FBS pass catchers (No. 1 among tight ends) in receiving yards per catch (22.4). He leads the Blazers in every receiving category with 21 catches for 471 yards and seven touchdowns.

While he doesn’t have the size of a prototypical in-line tight end, Prince has the athleticism and pass-catching traits of an oversized wide receiver. He catches the ball well in stride and consistently makes plays as a ball carrier, averaging 12.6 yards after the catch. As a blocker, he reaches his landmarks and runs his feet at contact to occupy defenders. Prince has turned himself into a draftable prospect with several similarities to Dalton Keene, who was drafted No. 101 overall by the New England Patriots two years ago.

Eyioma Uwazurike, DL, Iowa State (6-6, 310)
        Evaluators are studying the Iowa State front seven primarily for linebacker Mike Rose and pass rusher Will McDonald. But Eyioma Uwazurike (pronounced ee-YO-much ooh-WAH-zuh-REE-kay) is playing his best football as a sixth-year senior. He’s forcing scouts to reevaluate the priority free agent grades from the summer. He currently ranks second on the team in tackles for loss (seven) and sacks (five).

Lining up both inside and outside on the Cyclones’ multiple front, Uwazurike fires upfield with active hands and a determined mentality. He will lose his balance through contact at times, but he gives blockers all they can handle with his blend of power and quickness. Uwazurike isn’t a lock to be drafted, but there is a much greater chance that he hears his name called now compared to two months ago.

Alex Wright, edge, UAB (6-7, 270)
        The moment he arrived on campus as a freshman, Wright was too good to keep off the field and his impact has only grown from there. Now a junior captain, he leads the Blazers in tackles (29) and sacks (four) and his responsibilities expand with every game.

Wright has a long, stretched-out frame with the athleticism to drop in space, chase in the run game or attack gaps as a pass rusher. He doesn’t rank in the top 70 nationally with only four sacks, but that is mostly because of his limited pass rush opportunities. According to Pro Football Focus, Wright has a 26.6 percent win rate on pass rush snaps, which ranks fourth-best in the country behind only Oklahoma’s Nik Bonitto, South Carolina’s Kingsley Enagbare and Michigan’s Aidan Hutchinson. Still an underclassman, Wright will have an NFL decision to make after the season.
        Several dudes, A. Wright, E. Otomewo, E. Uwazurike, I have on my “Bolt” board (prospects I like in our new schemes).
        I didn’t have M. Mitchell on my radar so I’ll have to do some film study.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Several dudes, A. Wright, E. Otomewo, E. Uwazurike, I have on my “Bolt” board (prospects I like in our new schemes).
          I didn’t have M. Mitchell on my radar so I’ll have to do some film study.
          Yeah take a look at Mitchell. He’s a junior but he looks ready.

Brugler was right—he did look excellent in the Louisiana vs Texas tape. Started the game at RT, #74, but moved to the left side at some point in the second half. Played well on both. Seems to have really long arms and uses them well to stun, stymy, and keep opponents away from his body in pass pro. Accurate with blocks in the run game. Good, natural leverage. Moves well and gets to the second level. Seems to be an athlete. Didn’t see much wrong with his game. I was impressed.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

TDN has moved Max to ~ 110 overall.
            Fenell, I think it is, questions his anchor.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I am torn between two pathways regarding drafy strategy and 2022 roster build.

Hoping to post a Mock '22 beta in a week or so.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                I am torn between two pathways regarding drafy strategy and 2022 roster build.

Hoping to post a Mock '22 beta in a week or so.
                There’s several positions that need attention.
                EDGE, RT, DT, NB, RB, RG, TE.
                I’m sure we’ll address some in FA,
                but whatever is left:
                BPA thru the draft.

Lucky for us, the draft is stacked with quality prospects at our PON. The future is bright.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Oklahoma
                  • Send PM

Kenneth Walker looked like prime Herschel Walker running through Michigan today.
                  Going to watch the game later to evaluate him and Hutchinson.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

There’s several positions that need attention.
                    EDGE, RT, DT, NB, RB, RG, TE.
                    I’m sure we’ll address some in FA,
                    but whatever is left:
                    BPA thru the draft.

Lucky for us, the draft is stacked with quality prospects at our PON. The future is bright.
                    We oughta be able to build depth at EDGE, DB with our Comp picks.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                      Kenneth Walker looked like prime Herschel Walker running through Michigan today.
                      Walker is so damn good.
                      I must seriously consider him in Round 2.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Walker is so damn good.
                        I must seriously consider him in Round 2.
                        Yeah, what a game. My dad’s a Spartan and turning 86 this week. Glad he got to witness that one.

As far as Walker goes… It’s important to remember that he’s putting up these insane numbers behind an OL with no real standouts. His breakaway potential is hard to comprehend.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                          They are both good prospects.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X