• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Resign * Linval Joseph, Jared Cook, Oday Oboushi, Chase Daniel, Covington, Facyson, Justin Jones, Parham, Tyron, Tevaughn Campbell

UFA * Chris Harris, MW, Ryan Smith, Fackrell, Nwosu, Kyzir, Storm, Gabe Nabers, Qberry, Justin Jackson, Guyton, Bulaga (Tillery, Pipkins)

Working on the above assumptions for 2022, this is what my draft might look like at the outset of things….

QB * the lone position group that am good with
    RB * think it’s a good practice to be looking RB most every draft, albeit don’t have one yet for ‘22
    WR * think we’re gonna be replacing the both of MW and Guyton, and given that MW’s replacement is already on the roster, guessin’ that we’ll be looking to fill Guyton’s WR5 slot come ‘022
    TE * my first carry over from this most recent draft extravaganza is Cade Otton, as will be looking to carry 4 TEs w/McKitty, Cook and Parham all stayovers by my take
    LT * personally would slide Slater over to LG and be looking hard in FA @the both of Terron Armstead and Cornelius Lucas, as apparently Beluga has an out in his contract @the end of this season as well
    OG * the carryover from the latest draft stanza here is Zion Johnson, and since I’m moving Feiler over to spell Beluga, am gonna be in need of some depth here, even w/the resigning of Oboushi
    OC * not sold on Linsley’s longevity, so am moving Jaimes here to learn from Corey, which leaves Qberry as an UFA
    RT * another carryover from the last draft process is Daniel Faalele, albeit he is def a ? atm

IDL * got two carryovers here w/Tuli Letligasenoa and Keenan Stewart, as still would like depth behind Linval for the if and when we resign him, and for the if and when we let JT test FA, albeit that officially doesn’t happen ‘til 2023, albeit again wouldn’t put it past team Tommy John to draft a year early here
    DEdge * don’t have anyone in the draft yet, but still like Jamie Collins and would keep my eye on Shaq Lawson here as well, as not sure the either of Sacknotsowell and Nwosu aren’t FAs come 2022
    LB * not as happy w/this group as the most of y’all are here, and am very high on Palaei Gaoteote IV
    CB * do think Facyson is resigned, but not so certain ‘bout the future of Ryan Smith here, and have a carryover here by way of Coby Bryant, and do believe our CHJ replacement is already on the roster
    S * think we’re one short here already, so think this is pretty close to a def come the ‘022 offseason

So @this point am working w/seven carryover picks, which in most years would be my/our full allotment of picks for this installment, however the beauty of having 11 picks, means that we’ve still got room for another RB, WR, S and LT, and…. if not Faalele or the like, prolly looking DEdge as well.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

ok.... my working watchlist/big board for now,

RB * Bijan Robinson
      WR * George Pickens, Garrett Wilson
      TE * Cade Otton
      OT * Daniel Faalele, Evan Neal
      OG * Zion Johnson
      OC * Tyler Linderbaum

IDL * Tuli Letligasenoa, Keenan Stewart, Zacch Pickens, Demetrius Taylor
      ED * Zion Tupuola Fetui, Boye Mafe, Brenton Cox
      LB * Palaei Gaoteote IV
      CB * Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, Josh Jobe, Coby Bryant, Jack Jones, Derek Stingley, Martin Emersen, Derion Kendrick
      S * Kyle Hamilton
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Personally, I’m looking for a repeat of this years draft next year but probably in reverse. CB, OT in the first two rounds. And always looking for pass rush early if somebody falls to you.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

According to the fine folks at Over The Cap, the Chargers are projected to receive four additional compensatory picks for next year’s draft.

While the Bolts didn’t lose a ton of talent, they did lose a number of starters, especially on the offensive line. As of right now, they are expected to earn a trio of sixth-round picks and a lone seventh-rounder. Here’s how Over The Cap breaks them down:
          • Sixth-round pick (Tyrod Taylor)
          • Sixth-round pick (Dan Feeney)
          • Sixth-round pick (Sam Tevi)
          • Seventh-round pick (Denzel Perryman)

The signings of Corey Linlsey and Matt Feiler unsurprisingly should cancel out the losses of both Hunter Henry and Rayshawn Jenkins, but the team should be happy with any additional picks to be had in the deep, deep 2022 draft class. Under Brandon Staley, I like the chances of those late day three picks becoming useful players in the future.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            Resign * Linval Joseph, Jared Cook, Oday Oboushi, Chase Daniel, Covington, Facyson, Justin Jones, Parham, Tyron, Tevaughn Campbell

UFA * Chris Harris, MW, Ryan Smith, Fackrell, Nwosu, Kyzir, Storm, Gabe Nabers, Qberry, Justin Jackson, Guyton, Bulaga (Tillery, Pipkins)

Working on the above assumptions for 2022, this is what my draft might look like at the outset of things….

QB * the lone position group that am good with
            RB * think it’s a good practice to be looking RB most every draft, albeit don’t have one yet for ‘22
            WR * think we’re gonna be replacing the both of MW and Guyton, and given that MW’s replacement is already on the roster, guessin’ that we’ll be looking to fill Guyton’s WR5 slot come ‘022
            TE * my first carry over from this most recent draft extravaganza is Cade Otton, as will be looking to carry 4 TEs w/McKitty, Cook and Parham all stayovers by my take
            LT * personally would slide Slater over to LG and be looking hard in FA @the both of Terron Armstead and Cornelius Lucas, as apparently Beluga has an out in his contract @the end of this season as well
            OG * the carryover from the latest draft stanza here is Zion Johnson, and since I’m moving Feiler over to spell Beluga, am gonna be in need of some depth here, even w/the resigning of Oboushi
            OC * not sold on Linsley’s longevity, so am moving Jaimes here to learn from Corey, which leaves Qberry as an UFA
            RT * another carryover from the last draft process is Daniel Faalele, albeit he is def a ? atm

IDL * got two carryovers here w/Tuli Letligasenoa and Keenan Stewart, as still would like depth behind Linval for the if and when we resign him, and for the if and when we let JT test FA, albeit that officially doesn’t happen ‘til 2023, albeit again wouldn’t put it past team Tommy John to draft a year early here
            DEdge * don’t have anyone in the draft yet, but still like Jamie Collins and would keep my eye on Shaq Lawson here as well, as not sure the either of Sacknotsowell and Nwosu aren’t FAs come 2022
            LB * not as happy w/this group as the most of y’all are here, and am very high on Palaei Gaoteote IV
            CB * do think Facyson is resigned, but not so certain ‘bout the future of Ryan Smith here, and have a carryover here by way of Coby Bryant, and do believe our CHJ replacement is already on the roster
            S * think we’re one short here already, so think this is pretty close to a def come the ‘022 offseason

So @this point am working w/seven carryover picks, which in most years would be my/our full allotment of picks for this installment, however the beauty of having 11 picks, means that we’ve still got room for another RB, WR, S and LT, and…. if not Faalele or the like, prolly looking DEdge as well.
            That's a significant amount of effort and thought going into this, many props :hello:

You have two significant ideas here for me, one I don't like other I really like, a lot.

First thought is, lets drop notion we need to move Slater from LT to LG. Let him develop and be a top tier LT, then pay him accordingly. Doubtful Chargers spend up again that high in the draft hence the probability is he will remain the most skilled, desirable OT Chargers will see again in many moons. Like a franchise QB, a franchise LT on rookie contract is something to leverage. You can grab serviceable starters in later rounds to play interior positions of need, just have to follow sound scouting metrics, for instance you mentioned Jaimes OT out of Nebraska who will probably kick inside LG/Center. Your idea of molding him behind Linsley is an excellent one and a better option than carrying a back-up who is only an insurance plan. Going the free agent route worked out rather well this past off season, but Herbert;s window will be closing in three more years, so only for right fit for the right price. Think you can still draft one mid round with time to develop.

Too early to know biggest need in the draft for early rounds, but if the Chargers do make the playoffs and are picking, lets say mid 20's, could be a great spot to add a top Edge prospect. Also don't want to leave one on the table for Kansas City or Buffalo who are both probably picking after the Chargers. Like what I read above about George Karlaftis, Purdue @ 6-4 275 he has my attention and good production in 2020. I want to see Chargers add a young premium pass rusher, don't let him slip into your backfield, have him slip into your nemesis backfield instead..

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

TBL.... agreed that 'tis improbable that we would much consider sliding Slater inside, unless his play warrants the such, albeit the likelihood is that after a year of NFL football under his belt, he starts to win those battles he might have lost in his rookie year, and after a coupla few years in the League, he likely becomes a stalwart at the position, and shows it a foolhardy notion to slide him inside.

and yes, let's hope that Jaimes is heady enough to play in the pivot and can learn from Linsley, and in time to spell him for if and when the time comes.

and re: "the right fit for the right price," two things are markedly different moving forward for this Chargers era of JH10.... team Tommy John has seemingly embraced the concept of learning how to accrue multiple additional draft picks, which by my amateurish observations could well be one of the more instrumental and oft overlooked elements to a successful draft record over time, and.... second and perhaps just as if not more importantly, Staley has proffered that we are looking for "value," so hopefully that means we don't just go out and reward our own w/an overly hefty contract when it comes time to resign our own, and in the case of perhaps an MW/Guyton, Fackrell/Nwosu, Kyzir and/or Chris Harris Jr., and for the if and when they have a fab season and its time to reward them come the offseason, that we are willing to let them test the market, and if the price tag is a little too rich for our blood, and not the "value" that we seek, we are willing to let them move on and accumulate the draft capital that may come in lieu of resigning them out of team Tommy John loyalty, that has sometimes been our pattern in the past, and of which we may then move forward with the awarded comp picks.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

and re: our first pick overall.... don't see us selecting much before the late twenties, if not 30 or so ?? and don't see an Edge prospect that am overly enamored w/early, and rather see Day Two as the sweet spot for OLB/Edge.

if I had to put together a Day One cluster atm, would proffer the likes of Kyle Hamilton, Garrett Wilson, Tyler Linderbaum, Derion Kendrick, or George Pickens.

think the back of the first is most always a good spot to be looking DB or IOL, and that said.... really think we could well be looking WR to start things off, and as I think it is well if we do.... case in point, because personally think we need to (re)establish what Chargers football is, as not sure our FO is overly keen/aware of what our identity is.... can any of us put our finger on what Chargers football is ??

we know defense wins championships, and we won an AFC Championship on the backs of Jr. and Leslie O'Neal, and.... really think Chargers football is passing the ball.

w/our history of Hadl, Fouts, Rivers and now JH10, really think we need to build a passing game that is undefensible.... @WR, w/our RBs outta the backfield, @TE, and for the if and when we utilize a FB.

we need to have the premier passing attack in the League, and there is precedent w/selecting MW @7 overall, albeit the back of the first is a much better place to build your arsenal from.

so yeah, if we go defense.... good stuff and yeah it'll prolly help get us to the promised land, as the bottom line w/your picks is not to bust, and.... again personally, if we go wideout round one, doubtful that I will be one of those wincing @the pick.... Garrett Wilson or George Pickens, or.... ??

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

gonna throw out a cluster for day/round two as well.... (plan Z) Zacch Pickens, Zion Johnson, Zion Tupuola Fetui, along w/Josh Jobe and Brenton Cox, and....

two other guys that am personally penciling in earlier than later for day two are.... Palaei Gaoteote IV and Cade Otton, the latter of which I think is highly likely (or the like) as we have a precedent set w/also (in my estimation) in reaching for HH, and of whom which Otton offers a reasonably similar, balanced skill set, and of which we will def be looking at his position (TE) come next year's draft.

and for those of us who might want to start to familiarize themselves w/prospects slotted for the '022 draft.... here's a starter set:

NFL DRAFT 2021 Prospect Rankings (nfldraftbuzz.com)
                  2022 NFL Draft: Top 10 prospects by positions (sportskeeda.com)
                  Top 10 at every position in the 2022 NFL Draft | By Mel Kiper JR (nfldraftdiamonds.com)
                  2022 NFL Draft Big Board: Early top 50 prospect rankings (profootballnetwork.com)

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

TBL.... agreed that 'tis improbable that we would much consider sliding Slater inside, unless his play warrants the such, albeit the likelihood is that after a year of NFL football under his belt, he starts to win those battles he might have lost in his rookie year, and after a coupla few years in the League, he likely becomes a stalwart at the position, and shows it a foolhardy notion to slide him inside.

and yes, let's hope that Jaimes is heady enough to play in the pivot and can learn from Linsley, and in time to spell him for if and when the time comes.

and re: "the right fit for the right price," two things are markedly different moving forward for this Chargers era of JH10.... team Tommy John has seemingly embraced the concept of learning how to accrue multiple additional draft picks, which by my amateurish observations could well be one of the more instrumental and oft overlooked elements to a successful draft record over time, and.... second and perhaps just as if not more importantly, Staley has proffered that we are looking for "value," so hopefully that means we don't just go out and reward our own w/an overly hefty contract when it comes time to resign our own, and in the case of perhaps an MW/Guyton, Fackrell/Nwosu, Kyzir and/or Chris Harris Jr., and for the if and when they have a fab season and its time to reward them come the offseason, that we are willing to let them test the market, and if the price tag is a little too rich for our blood, and not the "value" that we seek, we are willing to let them move on and accumulate the draft capital that may come in lieu of resigning them out of team Tommy John loyalty, that has sometimes been our pattern in the past, and of which we may then move forward with the awarded comp picks.
                    agree with you, problem is, reality of escalating cap moving forward, players salaries should increase across the board, but elite talent cost will be ridiculous. We have to guard against ridiculous.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

and re: our first pick overall.... don't see us selecting much before the late twenties, if not 30 or so ?? and don't see an Edge prospect that am overly enamored w/early, and rather see Day Two as the sweet spot for OLB/Edge.

if I had to put together a Day One cluster atm, would proffer the likes of Kyle Hamilton, Garrett Wilson, Tyler Linderbaum, Derion Kendrick, or George Pickens.

think the back of the first is most always a good spot to be looking DB or IOL, and that said.... really think we could well be looking WR to start things off, and as I think it is well if we do.... case in point, because personally think we need to (re)establish what Chargers football is, as not sure our FO is overly keen/aware of what our identity is.... can any of us put our finger on what Chargers football is ??

we know defense wins championships, and we won an AFC Championship on the backs of Jr. and Leslie O'Neal, and.... really think Chargers football is passing the ball.

w/our history of Hadl, Fouts, Rivers and now JH10, really think we need to build a passing game that is undefensible.... @WR, w/our RBs outta the backfield, @TE, and for the if and when we utilize a FB.

we need to have the premier passing attack in the League, and there is precedent w/selecting MW @7 overall, albeit the back of the first is a much better place to build your arsenal from.

so yeah, if we go defense.... good stuff and yeah it'll prolly help get us to the promised land, as the bottom line w/your picks is not to bust, and.... again personally, if we go wideout round one, doubtful that I will be one of those wincing @the pick.... Garrett Wilson or George Pickens, or.... ??
                      To answer your identity question, it’s going to be known as era of Herbert. Explosive offense, and opportunistic defense.

I’m all in favor of BPA. But Bosa ain’t getting younger or cheaper and don’t want to pass on edge player who could give us fits for years in division or AFC. Will check out all players you mentioned, I’m sure they’re all really good.

Projected mid 20’s Zach Harrison, Ohio State looks really intriguing 6-6 268, twitchy, disruptive, hard to keep blocked. I know it’s early but would be a very high ceiling edge prospect.
                      Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 07-17-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

To answer your identity question, it’s going to be known as era of Herbert. Explosive offense, and opportunistic defense.

I’m all in favor of BPA. But Bosa ain’t getting younger or cheaper and don’t want to pass on edge player who could give us fits for years in division or AFC. Will check out all players you mentioned, I’m sure they’re all really good.

Projected mid 20’s Zach Harrison, Ohio State looks really intriguing 6-6 268, twitchy, disruptive, hard to keep blocked. I know it’s early but would be a very high ceiling edge prospect.
                        like the "opportunistic" label.... "not previously exploited."

and as mentioned, don't see the guy that could spell Joey outta the upcoming draft, but do see a need for a backup for him.... this year, and.... have always thought that the perfect backup for him was a guy by the name of Henry Mondeaux, who for all I know could come available before too long.

do think we have some soft spots on D besides a Bosa backup.... namely something behind Kyzir/Tranquill, of whom am leaning Ogbongbemiga this go 'round, and then to draft an off ball ILB to play alongside Murray next go 'round, and....

def would be looking to bolster our depth @DB, as would be looking at the both of Brian Poole and bringing back Jaylen Watkins, and sooner rather than later, as would like some insurance in our defensive secondary as it stands atm.

on O eye think we're pretty decent depth wise, save for LT, but doubt there is too much concern re: Slater and him holding up his first season, as yes.... "explosive" would be nice.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

My early 2022 EDGE prospect rankings………

Kayvon Thibodeaux
                          George Karlaftis
                          Drake Jackson
                          Zach Harrison
                          Boye Mafe
                          Brenton Cox
                          Myjai Sanders
                          Aiden Hutchinson
                          Kingsley Enagbare
                          DJ Coleman
                          Adam Anderson
                          Nik Bonito

Top 4 are top 25 prospects.
                          Rest all have superb skillsets but need more tape, production, passrush arsenal, better competition, or lack ideal physical traits.
                          Mafe, Cox, Sanders, and Anderson could all make a 1st round grade with strong 2021 seasons.
                          DJ Coleman is my top small school EDGE thus far.
                          Last edited by like54ninjas; 07-17-2021, 09:54 PM.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X