• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Pipkins got a lot of love yesterday, but Norton and Schofield did a pretty good job too. Both had some outstanding sequences in the running game. I want to see how they perform down the stretch, but if they can keep it up, there could be quite a battle for the RT/swing OT battle in camp next season.

.... but only if they keep it up. The real difference between true NFL talent and next-level guys is their ability to perform consistently. Pipkins, Norton and Schofield have all performed to some degree in the past, but they didn't do it consistently enough.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Pipkins got a lot of love yesterday, but Norton and Schofield did a pretty good job too. Both had some outstanding sequences in the running game. I want to see how they perform down the stretch, but if they can keep it up, there could be quite a battle for the RT/swing OT battle in camp next season.

.... but only if they keep it up. The real difference between true NFL talent and next-level guys is their ability to perform consistently. Pipkins, Norton and Schofield have all performed to some degree in the past, but they didn't do it consistently enough.
      This is the key right here ^^

Yes, Pipkins looked great in spot duty. But let’s be clear, to be good in spot duty is not indicative of starter-level play.

If we keep Pipkins going forward, his role should be spot duty, and nothing else. Let’s not start the conversation that he’s better than Storm. Norton beat Pipkins handily in camp.

I still think we go after a starting RT in the draft.

Storm will be a nice backup/swing…and that’s okay.

Pipkins will provide depth…and that’s okay, too.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

How about a different defensive scheme? Whatever we are running isn't doing us any favors at all. It works against crappy QBs or occasionally against a good QB having an off day but it is not sustainable against a patient QB and somehow even with winning the time of possession battles our defense is completely gassed in crunch time.
        I thought it worked very well last night until Derwin went down with the hamstring problem. Too many reserves were playing in that secondary.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I thought it worked very well last night until Derwin went down with the hamstring problem. Too many reserves were playing in that secondary.
          Derwin plays whole game, shuts Kelsey down like he does, Chargers win this game.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Derwin plays whole game, shuts Kelsey down like he does, Chargers win this game.
            I agree but I sure wish we had a TE like Kelce - the guy's a real stud. When Derwin went out, he took over the game.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree but I sure wish we had a TE like Kelce - the guy's a real stud. When Derwin went out, he took over the game.
              Would hope if Telesco had one do over, he would not of let Hunter leave via free agency, forcing need to bring in Cook.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Would hope if Telesco had one do over, he would not of let Hunter leave via free agency, forcing need to bring in Cook.
                Maybe....Belichick isn't exactly wearing him out. He gets little targets for the money he got and being recruited so heavily.

I liked Henry and wanted him back but I thought he would have a big year and he hasn't. I do wonder why TT let him go. Must of had a reason
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe....Belichick isn't exactly wearing him out. He gets little targets for the money he got and being recruited so heavily.

I liked Henry and wanted him back but I thought he would have a big year and he hasn't. I do wonder why TT let him go. Must of had a reason
                  Only reasonable possibility to me, since he left money on the table this year, that there was another deal in the works, so he thought cap space was needed. Unfortunately that deal or deals fell through. Also think he would have been Herbert second favorite after Keenan Allen. He would have had a huge season for the Chargers. Besides no Cook, no McKitty either so maybe Telesco goes addressing RT to cover Bulaga or another corner, all speculation but fun to discuss.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

You mean the defensive scheme that was #1 in the NFL last year?

It’s not the scheme, it’s the personnel.

With the Chargers, Staley adopted Gus Bradley’s 4-3, single high zone personnel. A lot of pieces don’t fit. With the Rams, he adopted Wade Philips’ 3-4 personnel, a much easier transference.

This off-season, Staley will hand pick the right pieces from FA and the draft. He’s building something. It takes time. Have patience.
                    I am not sure that it is the right narrative. I agree overall with the sentiment, we are a bit away from having a complete D.

First off, while Gus Bradley's D is nominally a 43, let's remember that it has a rush DE (LEO) and a drop OLB (OTTO) with 3 DL. And it all evolved from a 34 D.

The big part that doesn't work in most cases is that Bradley D uses an in-the-box SS, who is usually an extra-LB type of player. But Derwin is a much better, smarter, more athletic, and schemes diverse guy. He can excel as an FS, SS, in the box, deep, man to man, he can play any kind of S that any NFL team tries to play, so he fits every D. Staley plays 2 deep S looks, so presnap, it is hard to tell what they are doing. And our secondary did not react well to it initially. Guys were late coming up in run support, or to fill coverage holes, but they are getting better week after week.

I think the big thing is that the players we had were just not playing well under Gus. Mike Davis, Kyzir White, Tranquill, Nwosu, Adderley are all playing much, much better. I am not sure it is a better scheme fit, but just Staley and his staff being better overall. The players are responding better to his defense and scheme and executing at a higher level.

That being said, I think we are a few players away from being a great D. Some guys like TIllery need to figure out if they can play in the NFL. He has the skills. He can make plays vs the run. He can get after the QB. But if he doesn't know what the play is, he can get so lost he is a liability. He is getting better week after week. But is he ever going to be a good player or not. Some of the other young defenders are showing they can be really good defenders. But have we got an entire defense worth? Do we have the 15 or so guys (plus depth) to play in every defensive situation? I don't think so. Again as Bolt Dude posted, I think another off-season will get us a lot closer.

The big complication now is with some of our players having the light come on now, are they the complete zero's they looked a few weeks ago? A few weeks ago, Nwosu looked like a complete waste of a roster spot. Now .... I want to see how he plays the rest of the season. Same with Tillery, White, Norton, Pipkins ... There are a lot of guys who are playing for their careers as Chargers.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Henry got a HUGE contract that he would have a hard time justifying in our, or any system. And the reason I say that is it is hard to put up really big numbers as a TE if you are always getting hurt.

I wouldn't have had a problem with the Chargers resigning Henry last season, but it needed to be at a better price point. If you have an injury-prone player, his contract needs to reflect that. Or you just sunk a ton of your salary cap into a player that is not available much of the season.

Cook was a great offseason pickup because we had a very inexperienced TE room, and needed him to fill that void. He looked like a great signing early, but a big part of that is he was cheap. Now, with the other TE all starting to play better, it still works out well. I don't think we will bring Cook back. He looked pretty bad most of last night, even if you recognize the pass on the goalline was out of his reach. But his legs are gone, which is a sign of aging.

But I like the guys at TE and FB, even if Parham is hurt. Parham was flashing true #1 TE stuff. he needed to add consistency, but he was getting better every week. I think Parham, with a little luck and continued development, could turn into one of the better pass-catching TEs in the NFL. Even if he doesn't, he could still be a solid rotational starter with the other TE we have. His injury is a big blow and I hope he can come back (if he wants to).

McKitty player well. He will never be the next Antonio Gates, but I think he is a better version of Virgil Green. He can block, and while he is not a great route runner, if you get him the ball, he has some after-the-catch ability. Stephen Anderson is a similar sort of player. They can run some downfield patterns (mechanically), catch dump off, and you get scheme them open. They need to develop a lot of route running if they will ever be pass-catching TE stuff, but they are good blockers who are positive additions in the passing game and ST.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

KC production from the edge players hasn't been good this year. And they didn't have Jones inside. So it might be a bit of fools gold type performance by the OTs in this game. But I hope not.

Would like to see them bring in a FA and/or Draft to battle Pip and Norton for the RT/swing spots.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

I am not sure that it is the right narrative. I agree overall with the sentiment, we are a bit away from having a complete D.

First off, while Gus Bradley's D is nominally a 43, let's remember that it has a rush DE (LEO) and a drop OLB (OTTO) with 3 DL. And it all evolved from a 34 D.

The big part that doesn't work in most cases is that Bradley D uses an in-the-box SS, who is usually an extra-LB type of player. But Derwin is a much better, smarter, more athletic, and schemes diverse guy. He can excel as an FS, SS, in the box, deep, man to man, he can play any kind of S that any NFL team tries to play, so he fits every D. Staley plays 2 deep S looks, so presnap, it is hard to tell what they are doing. And our secondary did not react well to it initially. Guys were late coming up in run support, or to fill coverage holes, but they are getting better week after week.

I think the big thing is that the players we had were just not playing well under Gus. Mike Davis, Kyzir White, Tranquill, Nwosu, Adderley are all playing much, much better. I am not sure it is a better scheme fit, but just Staley and his staff being better overall. The players are responding better to his defense and scheme and executing at a higher level.

That being said, I think we are a few players away from being a great D. Some guys like TIllery need to figure out if they can play in the NFL. He has the skills. He can make plays vs the run. He can get after the QB. But if he doesn't know what the play is, he can get so lost he is a liability. He is getting better week after week. But is he ever going to be a good player or not. Some of the other young defenders are showing they can be really good defenders. But have we got an entire defense worth? Do we have the 15 or so guys (plus depth) to play in every defensive situation? I don't think so. Again as Bolt Dude posted, I think another off-season will get us a lot closer.

The big complication now is with some of our players having the light come on now, are they the complete zero's they looked a few weeks ago? A few weeks ago, Nwosu looked like a complete waste of a roster spot. Now .... I want to see how he plays the rest of the season. Same with Tillery, White, Norton, Pipkins ... There are a lot of guys who are playing for their careers as Chargers.
                          Nice post and I agree with just about everything. The three parts of our current defense that are deficient when compared to last years Rams are DL, nickel, and depth.

The Rams DL was very well suited for Staley’s D. There’s only one Aaron Donald, so unfortunately we can’t replicate his production. Like Derwin, he’s a scheme diverse player who happens to play on the DL instead of the secondary. But their other guys (SJD, Brockers, etc.) were better at controlling gaps than the guys we have, with the exception of Jones. Tillery can play in this scheme, but situationally. He’s a 2nd and 10+ and 3rd and 6+ guy. In other words, obvious passing downs.

Staley needs a nickel who can play the run and get deep if necessary. I know CHJr played under Staley and knows the scheme, but he’s not the player he once was. He’s not as explosive/aggressive, gets burned, and isn’t a great run defender. At this point in his career he gets by on his smarts and savvy, but that can only take him so far. Staley needs a unique player to fill the nickel and he’ll find his guy in FA or the draft.

Depth is the last part and I expect that to start filling out after the season. We’ve got the cap and draft capital working in our favor.

This off-season will be the most pivotal of Telesco’s career, and I hope he has clear lines of communication with coach. My prediction is that Staley hand picks his DL and nickel in FA while Tommy drafts a RT, RB, EDGE, and TE with our first four picks. The remaining selections will be for depth purposes.
                          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                          X