Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Regards the bold above; Not true, we have a lot of $$ left. Some of that could have gone toward keeping HH.
    We don't have $10 million really.

We have a few million in cap $. The team would have needed to keep some cap space in reserve in case of other injuries this season. Plus, how much for later tiers of FA, which we may have been talking to people, but maybe didn't actually sign. It is worth noting, that at least in recent memory, we have never used all our cap space, and always leave some in reserve. Some of it may be just being conservative and leaving plenty in reserve and some may be cash-flow related. They are building a big new practice facility, and the Spanos family squabbles point to cash flow issues.

There is also the issue that we probably would have to pay more than NE to keep Henry unless everyone is sure he was willing to take a hometown discount to stay. I don't doubt the structure of the deal would be different. But again, the Pats contract was 3 years $37.5 million, with $25 million fully guaranteed at signing, we would probably have had to go for something like 3 year, $39 million, with a similar amount (or more) guaranteed. You can always get the numbers down a bit overall by giving more money guareenteed upfront, but again it depends on the Spanos family cash flow.

I do think the Chargers were making a deliberate effort to try and give Staley more cap space in year 2, which makes sense. Year 2 gives everyone more of a chance to be on the same page personnel-wise in the front office, not to mention if you make any post year 1 coaching staff changes, and to just see how everyone meshes in the new system.

The bigger issue is that it is not usually worth it to significantly overpay for limited players. Henry is limited in two areas. While he is an inline TE. He is not a Kelcie or Gates style of flexed TE who has WR-like production. He is an inline guy who is asked to block a lot and while he is a good receiver, he has never developed into one of those top-notch receivers. He is a significant step below the top TE, even though he is being paid like the top rung guys.

So overpaying him on two counts (the injury thing and his overall production) is not a good idea going forward. Especially with Mike Williams being exactly the same type of player going forward. the difference between Henry and Mike (or even Tyrell) Williams and Bosa, Keenan and James is that Bosa, Kennan and James are elite players among the best at their position in the NFL, even if they do have injury problems. Henry and the Williams are a tier or bit more below the elite at their position, but looking for top-tier paydays.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We have a few million in cap $. The team would have needed to keep some cap space in reserve in case of other injuries this season. Plus, how much for later tiers of FA, which we may have been talking to people, but maybe didn't actually sign. It is worth noting, that at least in recent memory, we have never used all our cap space, and always leave some in reserve. Some of it may be just being conservative and leaving plenty in reserve and some may be cash-flow related. They are building a big new practice facility, and the Spanos family squabbles point to cash flow issues.

There is also the issue that we probably would have to pay more than NE to keep Henry unless everyone is sure he was willing to take a hometown discount to stay. I don't doubt the structure of the deal would be different. But again, the Pats contract was 3 years $37.5 million, with $25 million fully guaranteed at signing, we would probably have had to go for something like 3 year, $39 million, with a similar amount (or more) guaranteed. You can always get the numbers down a bit overall by giving more money guareenteed upfront, but again it depends on the Spanos family cash flow.

I do think the Chargers were making a deliberate effort to try and give Staley more cap space in year 2, which makes sense. Year 2 gives everyone more of a chance to be on the same page personnel-wise in the front office, not to mention if you make any post year 1 coaching staff changes, and to just see how everyone meshes in the new system.

The bigger issue is that it is not usually worth it to significantly overpay for limited players. Henry is limited in two areas. While he is an inline TE. He is not a Kelcie or Gates style of flexed TE who has WR-like production. He is an inline guy who is asked to block a lot and while he is a good receiver, he has never developed into one of those top-notch receivers. He is a significant step below the top TE, even though he is being paid like the top rung guys.

So overpaying him on two counts (the injury thing and his overall production) is not a good idea going forward. Especially with Mike Williams being exactly the same type of player going forward. the difference between Henry and Mike (or even Tyrell) Williams and Bosa, Keenan and James is that Bosa, Kennan and James are elite players among the best at their position in the NFL, even if they do have injury problems. Henry and the Williams are a tier or bit more below the elite at their position, but looking for top-tier paydays.
      I went back and looked at all the stats for our main receivers and KA is way ahead of Mike Williams. I'm not even sure I want him back for even $12 mil. Why? because he's tall is the only reason and he hasn't really leveraged that asset to it's fullest potential. Here's my basis...the targeted percentage and completion percentage. For an elite receiver you have to maintain a decent percentage throughout the year . Out of a 17 game season his completion percentage is average to below average for most of the year. Mike has flashes of greatness but for only six games a season. Not enough for me to break the bank anymore. Time to spread the wealth a bit more than tying it up on a few players that don't help the team win championships. Mike is not consistent at all and it's probably better that he moves on because I just don't see it anymore. I'm more worried about not having Parham than I am of not having Mike Williams.

:coffee:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Oklahoma
        • Send PM

For the capologists: If Mike williams, Jared Cook, and Chris Harris are not resigned and Bulaga is cut....if all other starters plus Storm, Parham, Guyton, and Hopkins (maybe Covington) and draft picks are signed for about what we think how much is left for a few lower cost free agents?
        Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 12-18-2021, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

The long and the short of it is we will have a lot of cap space.

Relatively few of the players we have who are FA will cost us that much to sign, outside of Mike Williams.

Linval Joesph, Nwosu and Justin Jones are probably the guys who could go the highest after Williams.

The rest of our FA are all probably fairly replaceable (read cheap).

The downside, most NFL teams have a fair amount of cap space, which means we will probably have to spend a ton on any player that is any good. There will probably be about 23 teams that have enough cap space to be active in FA, and some like Miami and Jags have a LOT of cap space, so they can go after a lot of players, not just the premiere guys.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Relatively few of the players we have who are FA will cost us that much to sign, outside of Mike Williams.

Linval Joesph, Nwosu and Justin Jones are probably the guys who could go the highest after Williams.

The downside, most NFL teams have a fair amount of cap space, which means we will probably have to spend a ton on any player that is any good. There will probably be about 23 teams that have enough cap space to be active in FA, and some like Miami and Jags have a LOT of cap space, so they can go after a lot of players, not just the premiere guys.
            I'm more concerned about defensive players than I'm worried about the offense. Sign a couple more olinemen and sign our best defenders and then go shopping for some more DB depth. We are having to put up 30+ points in almost every game to have a chance at winning it and others continue to believe we are always just an injury away from collapsing. On defense this is true and our oline tends to get soft when were in the red zone. Our secondary has been a literal joke all season long except for a few games. Any well coached team makes us look like punks out there and we shouldn't.

:2cents:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not sure how Telesco missed not resigning that guy. He didn't get much money from the Patriots. He was well liked by the coaches, team and players . That was a big miss by Telesco not bringing him back.
              Maybe Phillips didn't WANT to sign with the Bolts...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Maybe we can find a few Casey Hayward type bargain signings...maybe someone in the wrong system for his talents, or undervalued...doesn't even have to be a premiere player...just slightly above average would be nice...top FA priorities DL, RT, CB and RB...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Per OvertheCAp.com - the Chargers have 9.379m of cap space

So they are closer to 10m than a few million. And the Chargers have plenty of money to sign veterans in free agency as there are only 3 games left in the season plus there is nobody they would sign that cost very much for the remainder of the seasons

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Maybe we can find a few Casey Hayward type bargain signings...maybe someone in the wrong system for his talents, or undervalued...doesn't even have to be a premiere player...just slightly above average would be nice...top FA priorities DL, RT, CB and RB...
                    The undervalued players are always good to keep your eye out for but the Chargers have a shitload of cap space. This nonsense they need to be bargain basement shoppers is what Spanos wants you to think so they can sign some player like Christian Kirk instead of talking to say Davante Adams.

If the Chargers release Bulaga, per OTC.com - they will have close to 84m of cap space. And yes, 25m of that will be taken up by signing their draft class and a bunch of guys to minimum deals to get to the 53 man roster. But that leaves the Chargers with say $55m of cap space

Kyzier White , Aboushi, Justin Jones, Nwosu, maybe Linval Joseph can all come back. Chris Harris - see ya later
                    I am letting Mike williams test the market as he is just not worth it

Derwin James - probably will want to work out a long term deal

But the Chargers can do exactly what the Patriots did. Target higher priced players like Judon, Henry and Jonnu Smith but also role players like Bourne and Godchaux if they so choose.

Enough nickel dimer shit. Go get Davante Adams or a difference maker at CB. The Chargers have the core group, they have draft capital - possibly getting another 4 round pick (Rayshawn Jenkins just needs to keep playing for the Jags) - so they can really upgrade the roster

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I want the Chargers to let Mike Williams not only test free agency but hopefully some team way over pays - if Telesco franchises him, would be a big time mistake. He just isn't that good

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I want the Chargers to let Mike Williams not only test free agency but hopefully some team way over pays - if Telesco franchises him, would be a big time mistake. He just isn't that good
                        Mike Williams is a huge question mark.
                        He and his agent probably ask for $15 million. His inconsistency and injury history scare me away. I don't think he's worth it.
                        Having said that, the team is constructed around Justin Herbert and not giving him receiving options seems stupid.
                        After cutting Bulaga, the Chargers will have $87 million cap space. I say build a roster that can compete for a Super Bowl the next 2-3 years.
                        Most people don't agree with me, but I'd love to make a big splash in FA... and go get Davante Adams. We have the money.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Mike Williams is a huge question mark.
                          He and his agent probably ask for $15 million. His inconsistency and injury history scare me away. I don't think he's worth it.
                          Having said that, the team is constructed around Justin Herbert and not giving him receiving options seems stupid.
                          After cutting Bulaga, the Chargers will have $87 million cap space. I say build a roster that can compete for a Super Bowl the next 2-3 years.
                          Most people don't agree with me, but I'd love to make a big splash in FA... and go get Davante Adams. We have the money.
                          If we spend big in FA'cy my bet is its for the secondary rather than WR. JC Jackson would be a good get and another safety, maybe bring back Adrian Phillips (yes im stealing from NE)...and still draft a CB. Thats building the back end of the defense Staley's way then sign a couple DTs.Then draft an Edge, LB, draft a good RB earlier.

But i think you are dreaming thinking we will sign Adams when they seem to be pretty fond of MW. If MW is good w/ 15-16 per year i bet he stays, if he wants more he might be gone too but i doubt we are spending 25 mil a year on Adams and MW is 2 years younger than Adams.

Id love to have Adams so dont get me wrong he is a dynamic player and it would be a big sign of doing what it takes if we lose MW but i just have a hard time seeing them doing that if im being realistic from history of this team.

But hey, maybe they surprise and they sign Adams AND JC Jackson. Happy Day there imo.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X