• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

In 2020, Melvin Ingram “held in” with the Chargers to ensure he got the money he felt he deserved before playing out the final year of his contract. The former first-round pick received a full-guaranteed $14 million from the Chargers, but proceeded to finish the season with zero tackles for loss or sacks.

He finished the season on IR, missing the last four games. You got a pretty f*****-up idea of 'value'.
    You just declared that my post was DOA, and then you return to dig it up? You seem to be running around in circles right now Ghost.

Its frankly hard to untangle the irrationality of your post....so i won't even attempt it.

I'll just say that football is a business: why should i care if Spanos didn't get his money's worth with Ingram last year?
    Dean Spanos was no doubt angered that the hired help didn't know its place, and dared play economic brinkmanship games with him - and succeeded;
    he is used to bargaining in bad faith, and chiseling off others. No doubt, Ingram was persona non grata in the Spanos household and i wouldn't be surprised one bit
    if the decision to not bring Ingram back was a Dean Spanos decision
    . Its the attitude of a spoiled brat who would rather let his emotions rule him than create a winning franchise.

The Charger franchise is run by an emotional cripple.....bummer for us.

It made perfect sense to bring Ingram back at a reduced salary and role....impactful edge rushers don't grow on trees, as you seem to suggest; and the Chargers were better positioned than anyone to assess the physical state of Ingram. When Ingram initially got no offers, it would have behooved Charger management to begin the process towards bringing him back. But, then again, they are a loser franchise.

But why did Ingram's actions make you so upset that you can't see straight on this issue? What blows me away is how some here stick to their conviction over the course of the season; even after it blew up in their face last Sunday. There is no, yeah i guess it was a mistake....just a few stubborn people who double down & stick their heads deeper into the sand. You get comments like: ' well, i saw Ingram stumble in a Steeler game'. WTF?

Chargers D could really have used Ingram badly this year. It was the difference between making the playoffs, or once again sitting home and watching the Chiefs advance.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Did you watch the Raider game?
      Have teams drive the length of the field by running the ball inside 2 minutes very often?

It really only happens if you allow them to start with outstanding field position or if, like the Raiders game, the 5 minute D has failed. And that specific failure vs the Raiders, was allowing them to get 17 yards on the first play of the drive, followed by converting 3rd and 8 on the next sequence of plays. If either of those fails to occur, the Raiders are probably forced to keeping the ball in the air.

The run D may have been the straw that broke our back, but they wouldn't have been in a situation where they could have taken advantage of it, had we been better in D overall.

Blueman has it right. Adding defensive improvement is important, and it needs to happen. But that means covering better, rushing the QB better, run D, and playing better offense (run and pass). Give Herbert with better field position = more points. Herbert playing with a better running game = more points off play action. Herbert with a more consistent running game = more points because he can take more shots downfield. Herbert with more explosive offense = more effective running and short passing game. There is a lot of synergy if we can improve overall.

The other thing to keep in mind, this idea of we MUST draft position X. We draft 17. We probably don't control who we get to pick at 17. A lot of mock drafts have OL going very high, so the guys with 1st round grades are gone. If you are saying we MUST add OT or OG, what about if there are no players with 1st round grades? Same with some of the edge rushers. But it looks like, if you believe mock drafts, the CB seem to be falling more right now (they will jump up the mocks if those guys run well at the combine). I don't think you can go into a draft and have a fixed plan with who to take unless you pick very high (top 3 to 5), and not even always then.

We just need good players and I don't think it really matters what position it is. I am generally against drafting K, P, off the ball LB, run stuffing DL and RB in the 1st round (they can all be had somewhat later), and a lot of positions (TE, OG and S) the sweet spot is somewhat lower than 1st round. We just need players. Some of them can be role players, some of them need to develop into all around players, but we need guys who can help the team. Fortunately, there is plenty of room for that on both O and D. Some positions are more set than others (WR and QB), but I am not sure I would rule any position out.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

You just declared that my post was DOA, and then you return to dig it up? You seem to be running around in circles right now Ghost.

Its frankly hard to untangle the irrationality of your post....so i won't even attempt it.

I'll just say that football is a business: why should i care if Spanos didn't get his money's worth with Ingram last year?
        Dean Spanos was no doubt angered that the hired help didn't know its place, and dared play economic brinkmanship games with him - and succeeded;
        he is used to bargaining in bad faith, and chiseling off others. No doubt, Ingram was persona non grata in the Spanos household and i wouldn't be surprised one bit
        if the decision to not bring Ingram back was a Dean Spanos decision
        . Its the attitude of a spoiled brat who would rather let his emotions rule him than create a winning franchise.

The Charger franchise is run by an emotional cripple.....bummer for us.

It made perfect sense to bring Ingram back at a reduced salary and role....impactful edge rushers don't grow on trees, as you seem to suggest; and the Chargers were better positioned than anyone to assess the physical state of Ingram. When Ingram initially got no offers, it would have behooved Charger management to begin the process towards bringing him back. But, then again, they are a loser franchise.

But why did Ingram's actions make you so upset that you can't see straight on this issue? What blows me away is how some here stick to their conviction over the course of the season; even after it blew up in their face last Sunday. There is no, yeah i guess it was a mistake....just a few stubborn people who double down & stick their heads deeper into the sand. You get comments like: ' well, i saw Ingram stumble in a Steeler game'. WTF?

Chargers D could really have used Ingram badly this year. It was the difference between making the playoffs, or once again sitting home and watching the Chiefs advance.
        Thats alof of frenzied arm flapping with nothing behind it. So Dean personally interjected into the FO’s decision on Ingram? Lol. I’m more willing to bet he doesn’t even know who is on the roster, personally, but i wouldn’t write long fabulist fiction out of whole cloth as if it were journalistic fact. That just displays your own raging unbalanced emotions.

not bringing back Ingram had strong consensus on this forum, among other places, before the season. /Same with Perryman, same with Hayward. Those were all seen as necessary moves last spring by most analysts. Hindsight is clearer now but they were hardly radical moves.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Yep, many of us pine here for the Charger greats that have moved on. Facyson now looks like the second coming of Deon Sanders and Perryman is as durable as titanium for the Raiders. Maybe Melvin Gordon will come back and lead us to the SB. Or: maybe we just move on with players that want to win with this team and are prepared to put in the effort to do so.
          Lol, not even close but looks better than he was here. Not hard to do though since he was awful.

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Yep, many of us pine here for the Charger greats that have moved on. Facyson now looks like the second coming of Deon Sanders and Perryman is as durable as titanium for the Raiders. Maybe Melvin Gordon will come back and lead us to the SB. Or: maybe we just move on with players that want to win with this team and are prepared to put in the effort to do so.
            Just to be clear, the first part of this post was sarcasm.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I have no problem with this idea but my basic question is always who are you replacing them with? When we move on from a player do we have a better replacement waiting in the wings? Too often, the answer has been no.
              Agree, this is the Charger's woes in a nutshell. You not only have to clean out the dead-wood but you must have a plan to replace every single player with a quality replacement. If Staley & Telesco can't do this, then the team is truly screwed. I'm trying to remain optimistic that they can and will.

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

Agree, this is the Charger's woes in a nutshell. You not only have to clean out the dead-wood but you must have a plan to replace every single player with a quality replacement. If Staley & Telesco can't do this, then the team is truly screwed. I'm trying to remain optimistic that they can and will.
                Sometimes a plan takes more than one season to implement. In the case of this team, am hoping it's a two yr plan, but could see it taking 3 or 4 until it's at its optimal point.

Comment

• Berserker76
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

Sometimes a plan takes more than one season to implement. In the case of this team, am hoping it's a two yr plan, but could see it taking 3 or 4 until it's at its optimal point.
                  I agree with this. The problem is that we Charger fans have been subjected to this "Victory is right around the corner" speech for too many years. Reality bites, but there it is. I'm willing to go along for the ride. What choice is there? become a Rams fan?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Wonder how Bills fan feels right about now?

If there is another team to pull for that has endured so much yet still can’t get by Chiefs, it’s them.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                      Wonder how Bills fan feels right about now?

If there is another team to pull for that has endured so much yet still can’t get by Chiefs, it’s them.
                      KC did to them
                      what
                      KC did to us.
                      BUF was so unwise.
                      At least they got over the NE hump.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Right now I'm a Bengals fan.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                          Right now I'm a Bengals fan.
                          Bengals vs Niners SB ?
                          I am sure you remember a certain SB.
                          After a long day in Miami.
                          And a cold, cold afternoon in Cincinnati.
                          Such memories, 'Roo !!!
                          It is a never ending story.
                          I promise you.
                          We will fix the offensive line.
                          Herbert/Staley will get it done.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X