Haha I know that’s right

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

I have already seen 2 SBs CIN/SF !
      I really want another LAR/KC game like 2018-19.
      Is it the wright thread ?

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Have teams drive the length of the field by running the ball inside 2 minutes very often?

It really only happens if you allow them to start with outstanding field position or if, like the Raiders game, the 5 minute D has failed. And that specific failure vs the Raiders, was allowing them to get 17 yards on the first play of the drive, followed by converting 3rd and 8 on the next sequence of plays. If either of those fails to occur, the Raiders are probably forced to keeping the ball in the air.

The run D may have been the straw that broke our back, but they wouldn't have been in a situation where they could have taken advantage of it, had we been better in D overall.

Blueman has it right. Adding defensive improvement is important, and it needs to happen. But that means covering better, rushing the QB better, run D, and playing better offense (run and pass). Give Herbert with better field position = more points. Herbert playing with a better running game = more points off play action. Herbert with a more consistent running game = more points because he can take more shots downfield. Herbert with more explosive offense = more effective running and short passing game. There is a lot of synergy if we can improve overall.

The other thing to keep in mind, this idea of we MUST draft position X. We draft 17. We probably don't control who we get to pick at 17. A lot of mock drafts have OL going very high, so the guys with 1st round grades are gone. If you are saying we MUST add OT or OG, what about if there are no players with 1st round grades? Same with some of the edge rushers. But it looks like, if you believe mock drafts, the CB seem to be falling more right now (they will jump up the mocks if those guys run well at the combine). I don't think you can go into a draft and have a fixed plan with who to take unless you pick very high (top 3 to 5), and not even always then.

We just need good players and I don't think it really matters what position it is. I am generally against drafting K, P, off the ball LB, run stuffing DL and RB in the 1st round (they can all be had somewhat later), and a lot of positions (TE, OG and S) the sweet spot is somewhat lower than 1st round. We just need players. Some of them can be role players, some of them need to develop into all around players, but we need guys who can help the team. Fortunately, there is plenty of room for that on both O and D. Some positions are more set than others (WR and QB), but I am not sure I would rule any position out.
        If I’m Staley/TT:

Use FA to bring in quality D vets (always slim pickings but there will be a couple at least) who can help beat KC now. Not in two years, now. We keep waiting for guys to develop while the ones in their prime begin to fade a little. Is Bosa gonna be Bosa in 2024? James? And on O, get a WR or TE (or RB) who can be clutch like a Hill or Kupp or Kelce, maybe someone drops at 17? I really like JWill cuz he’s an instant upgrade for Guyton, has the route tree plus speed and quicks to get YAC and take the top off a D the way Guyton should, but just doesn’t consistently enough. Doesn’t have to be him, but if we had that guy on the team now, we would have been able to convert some of those many late game drives we didn’t, get those lost points on the board, turn Ls into Ws.

Last team with the ball, last team to score, wins.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If I’m Staley/TT:

Use FA to bring in quality D vets (always slim pickings but there will be a couple at least) who can help beat KC now. Not in two years, now. We keep waiting for guys to develop while the ones in their prime begin to fade a little. Is Bosa gonna be Bosa in 2024? James? And on O, get a WR or TE (or RB) who can be clutch like a Hill or Kupp or Kelce, maybe someone drops at 17? I really like JWill cuz he’s an instant upgrade for Guyton, has the route tree plus speed and quicks to get YAC and take the top off a D the way Guyton should, but just doesn’t consistently enough. Doesn’t have to be him, but if we had that guy on the team now, we would have been able to convert some of those many late game drives we didn’t, get those lost points on the board, turn Ls into Ws.

Sounds right.
          On my fifth mock.
          :facepalm1:
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If I’m Staley/TT:

Agree, blue. That last statement is especially true in this day-and-age.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
              Gotta say that kid Phidarian Mathis, the humongous DT from Bama, looked elite. 6’4, 312, but looks and plays bigger. Total dominator.
              If we got him in the 2nd, and Davis from Georgia in the first, I'd have no problem saying our run defense would improve.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

If we got him in the 2nd, and Davis from Georgia in the first, I'd have no problem saying our run defense would improve.
                Yes. I don’t think we’ll go that route, but getting a rotation of violent monsters in the interior needs to happen somehow.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Yes. I don’t think we’ll go that route, but getting a rotation of violent monsters in the interior needs to happen somehow.
                  I would be fine with Davis in R1, but even finer with Mathis in Rd2 and a top skill player or CB in Rd1. Or a starting RT.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Finishing strong in the 4th wins close games.
                    It doesn't have to be a shootout if you control field position on STs and make some stops on D.
                    We have shootout ready talent on O.
                    Let's build a shutdown D.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                      It doesn't have to be a shootout if you control field position on STs and make some stops on D.
                      Getting a real,solid RT is just as important.Herbert was gettin cracked because Storm sucks.Finish the O line because Herbert IS the franchise.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                        It would not surprise me if the Chargers go 1st and 2nd in the draft on defense.
                        Unless an exceptionel talent is there on offense.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Getting a real,solid RT is just as important.Herbert was gettin cracked because Storm sucks.Finish the O line because Herbert IS the franchise.
                          true, but RT can be found in FA or after first round......

First round picks are best spend on rarer elite players at QB, shut down CB, pass rushers, LT, DL or other front 7 defenders..... Chargers need all those positions except QB......

By far Chargers biggest problem is defense..... we currently have only about a half dozen NFL caliber defenders and only 2 or 3 elite ones...... the rest needs to be be replaced...... defense was worst or nearly worst at run defense, 3rd down defense, 4th qtr defense, and scoring defense...... which is why Herbert and our offense had to have nearly perfect games to barely beat ANYONE.....

Comment

Working...
                          X