• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Flawed Passrusher or top 2 RB?

Even if Gregory falls he is a risk, but assume for a minute the OLB we can get at 17 and the best RB we could get at 17 would each be a top player for us, what gets the team closer to it goal? The RB supports the ball control of fence in ways few additions can and longer drives rest the defence and ice supposing QBs.

The pass rusher may help in later passing downs, but it was the steady bleeding in run defence that killed us in our losses. I do not think a premier pass rusher gets us the same value as a RB.
    Go Rivers!
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

I hate our RB situation. Draft a good one.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

RB, OLB, DT, WR, SS, OL we could go a few different ways.

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

Im for RB. Best potential immediate impact and imo a big hole right now. Woodhead is most talented. Maybe Oliver will develop with a better line but he has a lower ceiling for me.

I think ol or dt or lb in round two.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

OK I'll bite, add one more flawed pass rusher to the roster
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

This was too long to copy and paste so please hit the link for a great breakdown of our running game under MM and our benefit by adding a solid RB.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Kiper talks Chargers draft
              By Tom Krasovic 03:15p.m. Mar 27, 2015

The Chargers need to find a running back who puts scare into the defense.

Someone both fast and powerful, someone like Ryan Mathews only more durable.

An edge rusher should be on their short list as well, the Chargers had only 26 sacks last year and cut ties this month with their best edge rusher of 2014, Dwight Freeney.

General Manager Tom Telesco may look to the draft for answers. Thursday, I asked ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. about the talent.

It's a very good draft class at both running back and edge rusher, he said.

Kiper wouldn't use the 17th pick on a running back.

"I just think it's a little early," he said. "I would wait it out and go running back (later). There's a lot of guys, like a Duke Johnson from Miami of Florida, that are going to go at bargain points in this draft. Buck Allen from USC is another one."

My take: Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon merit consideration at 17. The Chargers should do extra homework on each one. Georgia's Gurley, who has drawn comparisons to Steven Jackson and Marshawn Lynch, had ACL surgery in November. He would be behind other rookies going into training camp but still could be a difference maker in 2015. Gordon of Wisconsin is a very good prospect, though less explosive and powerful than Gurley. Gordon is less speedy than Mathews was coming out of Fresno State.

Kiper said his favorite edge rushers will be taken before 17.

"Bud Dupree from Kentucky would be the guy in play at that point," he said.

Dupree, 6-foot-4, 269 pounds with an astonishing 42-inch vertical leap, lined up at several spots for Kentucky.

"Great workouts, great skill sets, a little inconsistent productivity," Kiper said. "You've got to get him a little more consistent, coach him up a little bit."

My take: Dupree may fit better in a "4-3" defense, at end, than as an end or outside llinebacker in San Diego's "3-4" scheme. He was productive in college but less productive than Telesco's four premium draft investments -- first round selections D.J. Fluker and Jason Verrett, and second-rounders Manti Te'o and Jerry Attaochu, who each also cost San Diego a fourth-round pick.

To pick him 17th, the Chargers would have to believe Dupree can be coached up.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Sec-E4
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2014
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

Is there's any Patrick Willis LB or a Suh DE type potential draftee's in this draft ?? If there is Id take that kind of defensive player over a RB and settle for an RB in the 2nd round..I know , I know, College skills don't alway transfers over to the NFL

If we can get a feared Pass rusher and the Duke of Earl out of the "U" for our 2nd pick! I'd be all over that shit

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Draft a pass rusher. Trade for AP!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I think if you draft BPA but at positions of need the pick at 17 will have a better value option at RB then OT, OG, C, DT, DE, OLB, and CB. And argument at Safety if the top safety is on the board, but is that top safety one of the best draft prospects at his position in years???
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Classic
                      Hall Of Fame
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Send PM

Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon. Rookie impact from OLB is a lot harder to do. This is coming from a big fan of both Gregory and Dupree. Our OLB are already lacking in experience, it be unwise to add another in the first and expect impact from the get go. The most impact we could get from a defensive player in this draft realistically would be either Malcolm Brown and Landon Collins. Brown could rotate at NT with Carreathers and give us good run defense. While in passing situations he'd switch with Reyes and be great pass rushing DE. Landon Collins on the other hand would make our already good secondary borderline Elite if not out right. He'd be the heir to Weddle as well as being a Rodney Harrison type thumper to intimidate WRs from going down the middle.

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                        RB, OLB, DT, WR, SS, OL we could go a few different ways.
                        yep. BPA in 1st round, then reshuffle draft board and do it again in rounds 2-4. Gotta come away with an Impact starter on both OL & DL near the top somehow. RB, OLB, SS are lower priorities to me than improving/solidifying the trenches.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡