• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Stopping Herbert in 2021

We’ve all seen QBs play well as rookies then suffer a sophomore slump. Most recently it happened to Baker Mayfield, but we can also add guys like RG3, Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, and Dak Prescott to that list. Even Brees and Rivers regressed in their 2nd year as starters.

It seems less likely with Herbert given his improved OL, augmented weaponry, and full training camp, but what (if any) are his weaknesses? How do you expect teams to game-plan for Herbert now that they have a season of tape to analyze?

I imagine they’ll study last year’s game against the Patriots where Belichick shut down the long ball in exchange for underneath routes over the middle.

How will our 2021 opponents strategize against JH10?
    Our quarterback is a golden god.
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Herbert's weakness? Yes, if his supporting cast doesn't live up to their reputation in any games we play this season. Even on an off day he's still good enough to get the job done. The REST OF THE TEAM needs to show up!

opcorn:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

What good is tape on an offense we are no longer running?

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
        Exactly.

Herbert's specific weakness was post snap processing speed. I think Staley will help with that.

He also had low accuracy in the deep middle third (even deep passes you're thinking of tended to be in the outer thirds) and when he didn't set his feet correct his deep pass tended to fade and sail right.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
          I was thinking that as well. Last year’s tape won’t give a full picture, but it might reveal some tendencies that defensive coordinators will try to exploit.

I’m trying to figure out what those are. In other words, if you were tasked with shutting down Herbert how would you do it?
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
            We’ve all seen QBs play well as rookies then suffer a sophomore slump. Most recently it happened to Baker Mayfield, but we can also add guys like RG3, Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, and Dak Prescott to that list. Even Brees and Rivers regressed in their 2nd year as starters.

It seems less likely with Herbert given his improved OL, augmented weaponry, and full training camp, but what (if any) are his weaknesses? How do you expect teams to game-plan for Herbert now that they have a season of tape to analyze?

I imagine they’ll study last year’s game against the Patriots where Belichick shut down the long ball in exchange for underneath routes over the middle.

How will our 2021 opponents strategize against JH10?
            Study the Saints offense.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I was thinking that as well. Last year’s tape won’t give a full picture, but it might reveal some tendencies that defensive coordinators will try to exploit.

I’m trying to figure out what those are. In other words, if you were tasked with shutting down Herbert how would you do it?
              Watch the Miami tape. That's the most likely template teams will use.

Comment

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Anthony Lynn stopped Herbert in that game with the "let's give the ball to Ballage on every first down ever" offense.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Anthony Lynn stopped Herbert in that game with the "let's give the ball to Ballage on every first down ever" offense.
                  I REALLY will not miss that..

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Good point.

As a DC I want to #1 contain Ekeler's checkdowns and #2 force Herbert to go to his TE.

But 2021 is going to be different if Herbert worked on his short passing game, has better protection, and develops chemistry wit his weapons.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Easy,
                      Contaminate his brisket supply
                      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I REALLY will not miss that..
                        Me either. Staley should be a huge upgrade. I think we are looking good when it comes to in game tactical decisions.

Comment

Working...
                        X