• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What kind of running scheme are we?

Reading a Bleacher report article on which of this years draft RB are best with what kind of scheme ... Zone blocking, Power Running or Balanced Rushing attack ... Which of these three are we ?

I'm thinking power but I'm not 100% sure ... Help ??
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

With the rule changes and additions I'm not sure, I looked at a lot of the players we worked out visited at the combine talk with at the senior bowl and a mojorety looked like big huge OG/T or potential road grading OG types
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

We run mostly zone rushing, but like all zone teams we use a few counter plays (slow developing power blocking) as the compliments to the quick hitting zone runs.

Power is misleading in that power scheme require smaller, quicker players who can pull and lead. The term power refers to being able to get more blockers to the point of attack and just plain outnumber the other team. But if you have big slow players, they can't pull and lead, and you can't get the plays to develop.

Zone teams actually will often have the bigger guys. Big athletic players can use their size to get between the D and the RB. The plays hit a lot quicker, so at most you have the OL who are uncovered helping out with an arm here or there, then releasing to get to the LB.

There is a misconception in that all zone teams use smaller, quicker OL, like Denver did back under Shanny at the end of the Elway era. That team did favor small, quick guys, but they weren't that small, and they just asked guys who had decent frames to get lean. None of those guys was "small" and they just got rid of a lot of empty pounds.

Most other zone teams ( the Redskins Hogs) used to use a lot more size in their zone OL.

I think the key is getting players who can play, more then anything else. We need OL who have some quickness. We had slower OL, and DL beat our OL off the ball, and got penetration against us. Size is nice, but it is only 1 quality a player has. And if the other team can beat a big guy off the line, even a tiny guy can overpower a huge player. Size is not the end all, be all that some make it out to be. Yes, give a player bonus points for size, just don't be like Yuba and drool over fat slobber knockers who cannot play well. Fat guys like Jenkins (NT from Georgia 2 years ago) got driven off the ball and knocked downfield 20 yards at a time by NO last year. The guy was not a good player who was large, he was a bad player who was over valued because he was too big to play with leverage.

OL and DL need to be graded with an eye towards technique. The players at those positions will be exploited if they cannot play with technique. If they have weakness, the other team will find it and exploit it. Go after it, play after play until the player gets exploited. The flip side, is that even very average athletes who can develop great technique can stalemate good to great players on the majority of snaps.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍