Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Ouf ! In 1970, I was only 6 years old !
    How was the WAS OL with J. Riggens ?
    That would be "The Hogs," that elite O-line of the Redskins: Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, etc....and later, Lachey, after he left the Bolts high and dry and joined the Skins...yep...more evidence that a dominant O-line helps win championships...

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

That would be "The Hogs," that elite O-line of the Redskins: Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, etc....and later, Lachey, after he left the Bolts high and dry and joined the Skins...yep...more evidence that a dominant O-line helps win championships...
      They were legendary. If you're that good, you're gonna win more than you lose.
      Also true, the Giants DL that R Linval Joseph was a part of took them to a SB.
      Dominant trenches, O or D will reach the playoffs. Both would be freaking scary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

He was good, but not great. Good for gains between 3-10 yds. or so, sometimes a bit more, but usually too slow to break off any runs more than 40 yds. or so, much less to take it to the house. Had McCutcheon not been running behind that stellar Rams line of Slater, Mack, Harrah, France, Pankey, etc., opening up Grand Canyon-sized holes for him, his stats probably never would have been the same. But he proves my point that a solid O-line makes an average RB look great...
        You seem to be alternating between "average" and "good" when describing McCutcheon. The issue I had was with you calling McCutcheon "average". I agree that he was not great (like O.J. Simpson was), but he was much more than "just a guy". So, I would say that he was "good" and his OL helped him to achieve good results (four 1,000+ yard seasons when teams were only playing 14 games and 5 Pro Bowl selections). I also agree that a good OL helps. We have all seen what the opposite of that looks like.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

You seem to be alternating between "average" and "good" when describing McCutcheon. The issue I had was with you calling McCutcheon "average". I agree that he was not great (like O.J. Simpson was), but he was much more than "just a guy". So, I would say that he was "good" and his OL helped him to achieve good results (four 1,000+ yard seasons when teams were only playing 14 games and 5 Pro Bowl selections). I also agree that a good OL helps. We have all seen what the opposite of that looks like.
          Okay, point well taken. McCutcheon was a good back, running behind a great O-line. I'm hoping our O-line rebuild will make a good back like Kelley look really good, and a great back like Ekkie look elite...

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Who’s the most fun player to watch on the team for you? For me, it’s Ekeler. He’s just so elusive when he gets in the open field.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Who’s the most fun player to watch on the team for you? For me, it’s Ekeler. He’s just so elusive when he gets in the open field.
              Ekkie and Johnson...LOVE watching Johnson hauling in the rock from long distance to the house!

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

JH10
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  A healthy Derwin is it for me
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    JH10
                    Nailed it.
                    I think DJ will be a respectable 2nd.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Don't shortchange us on the entire, gruesome story, man.

Jim Lachey held out, saying that he wanted to play closer to his home in the midwest. Chargers' GM Steve Ortmayer-- who had been employed by the Raiders in his previous job-- traded Lachey to the Raiders for O-lineman John Clay plus future 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

The trade didn't require passing a physical, and John Clay had a back issue. He played ONE game for the Chargers. Ever. That was it.

Those draft picks? Several weeks later, Ortmayer traded those selections back to the Raiders in exchange for RB/FB Napolean McCallum, who had a brief and not especially productive run with the Bolts before experiencing a horrific career-ending knee injury.

Lachey played in ONE game for the Raiders before they dealt him to the Washington Redskins in exchange for QB Jay Schroeder.

The Lachey Trade was among the worst in franchise history, and there have been some doozies. On so many levels, it appeared to be an exercise in bad faith by Ortmayer (trading for an INJURED player... trading with division rival... who's a former employer... and getting monumentally hosed...) but the league never investigated anything.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Don't shortchange us on the entire, gruesome story, man.

Jim Lachey held out, saying that he wanted to play closer to his home in the midwest. Chargers' GM Steve Ortmayer-- who had been employed by the Raiders in his previous job-- traded Lachey to the Raiders for O-lineman John Clay plus future 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

The trade didn't require passing a physical, and John Clay had a back issue. He played ONE game for the Chargers. Ever. That was it.

Those draft picks? Several weeks later, Ortmayer traded those selections back to the Raiders in exchange for RB/FB Napolean McCallum, who had a brief and not especially productive run with the Bolts before experiencing a horrific career-ending knee injury.

Lachey played in ONE game for the Raiders before they dealt him to the Washington Redskins in exchange for QB Jay Schroeder.

The Lachey Trade was among the worst in franchise history, and there have been some doozies. On so many levels, it appeared to be an exercise in bad faith by Ortmayer (trading for an INJURED player... trading with division rival... who's a former employer... and getting monumentally hosed...) but the league never investigated anything.
                        Gruesome is right...I still remember a Nick Canepa column entitled "Lachey Wimps Out." What a soap opera that was...

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Herbert.

Comment

Working...
                          X