POLL: Should the Bolts Sign Justin Houston?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Should the Bolts Sign Justin Houston?

Well, the draft is long past, most of the best FA's have been signed, but...there's ONE big fish still left in the pond that hasn't yet been snagged by any team: Justin Houston. The Bolts are set at one edge with Bosa. InvisaMel "Zero Sacks" Ingram is gone, but he didn't help much at all at that other Edge spot; so the Bolts are banking heavily on either Fackrell or Nwosu rising to the occasion at the other Edge position. Will it be enough for two previously rotational back-ups competing for the starting DE spot? Maybe. Maybe not. Remember, you can NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have enough good Edge players! I'm imagining the Chargers, with ONE MORE solid bookend Edge opposite Bosa...and LOOK! There he is...Justin Houston! Even in his old age, Houston STILL had EIGHT sacks last year. Come on, TT! Pull the trigger!!!

houston.JPG
    Yes!
    55.17%
    No
    37.93%
    Other--see my answer
    6.90%

This article helps explain why Houston is overvalued and Ingram is undervalued:

Examining four upcoming free agent edge rushers with big discrepancies between their 2020 pressure and sack rates that may lead to them either being undervalued or overvalued this offseason.

If both play, I would expect Ingram to be better than Houston as he gets QB pressure at a higher rate than Houston does. He also had a PFF grade nearly 10 points higher than Houston's, which does not prove, but does suggest that Ingram is the better player at this point.

And Ingram produced that higher PFF grade and better pressure rate while he was significantly injured and not looking like himself. There is reason to believe that Ingram could bounce back. Houston's drop off in performance simply looks like decline from an older player. Given Ingram's injury, I do not think the same conclusion can be reached about him at this point--at least not yet.

And if you simply look at sack totals, you will improperly value the two players just as the article suggests.

If Nwosu stays healthy, it would not surprise me if he were better than either Ingram or Houston, but I would re-sign Ingram before I would go anywhere near Houston.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
      This article helps explain why Houston is overvalued and Ingram is undervalued:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-fr...20-sack-totals

If both play, I would expect Ingram to be better than Houston as he gets QB pressure at a higher rate than Houston does. He also had a PFF grade nearly 10 points higher than Houston's, which does not prove, but does suggest that Ingram is the better player at this point.

And Ingram produced that higher PFF grade and better pressure rate while he was significantly injured and not looking like himself. There is reason to believe that Ingram could bounce back. Houston's drop off in performance simply looks like decline from an older player. Given Ingram's injury, I do not think the same conclusion can be reached about him at this point--at least not yet.

And if you simply look at sack totals, you will improperly value the two players just as the article suggests.

If Nwosu stays healthy, it would not surprise me if he were better than either Ingram or Houston, but I would re-sign Ingram before I would go anywhere near Houston.
      Interesting analysis there, Crusher...the article does make a strong case for re-signing Ingram, but even better, Carl Lawson...only problem is Lawson signed with the Jets..thanks for sharing--definitely food for thought...
      Last edited by Topcat; 06-29-2021, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

I'm still PO'd at AJ Smith for drafting Jonas Mouton while Justin Houston was still on the board. Imagine what could have been been with Houston and Ingram rushing the passer for the Bolts.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I'm still PO'd at AJ Smith for drafting Jonas Mouton while Justin Houston was still on the board. Imagine what could have been been with Houston and Ingram rushing the passer for the Bolts.
          Wow...just...wow...Mouton was such a reach and a bust...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I voted no and broke a 3-3 tie. Someone get in here and vote, i can’t handle this much responsibility
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

What it could come down to is this: Would it be better to sign Houston, a proven sackmeister, or Ingram, with no sacks last year? But...then there is that added variable that Crusher brought up that Ingram registered very high in pressures with no sacks...I guess the Bolt Brass has a decision to make...stand pat with Nwosu and Sackwell? Or bolster our pass rush by signing a FA?
              Last edited by Topcat; 06-29-2021, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Sign the cheaper one
                .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Sign the cheaper one
                  Sign the (a lot) cheaper one!

:runaway:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

i vote no.

Chargers should get younger and faster. We have seen enough of the def gassed in 4th dont need more aging players

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                      i vote no.

Chargers should get younger and faster. We have seen enough of the def gassed in 4th dont need more aging players
                      Good point, Chili. Need to get younger. Too bad the Jets already signed Carl Lawson, who is only 26.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Did I miss something?
                        Carl Lawson signed a 3-year $45 million contact with the Jets in March.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂