• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig440
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Our Wide Receivers.

There may be a thread about this already but here I go anyway.
    I like Jalen Guyton and Tyron Johnson. Jalen dropped a few fifty yard bombs but also had some 70+ yard catches. Johnson is a deep threat also.

What do you guys think? Do we need to replace them or let them grow with Herbert? I'm all for letting them practice this training camp with Herbert and lets go.
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

One of the reasons why the team was bad in 2019 was because of lack of speed at WR. Guyton and Johnson provide that, and helps to stretch the field.

The WR position is stacked. Looks like one of the strongest position groups on the roster. I hope Josh Palmer is that good.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Our WR group is deep (deepest on the team) and talented with diverse skillsets.
      We are most likely going to have to cut a WR that will get picked up by another team. Great position to be in.
      We have size, speed, elite route running, RAC ability, toughness, and the ability to consistently win contested balls.
      With our new Saints infused passing game personnel groupings it will be tough to stop with JH10 having more consistent protection.
      Its’s going to be a very exciting year ahead.
      Last edited by like54ninjas; 06-30-2021, 08:14 AM.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• PORTERPARTY1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2020
        • Send PM

Allen,Williams,Palmer,Guton, Campbell, plus two from last year. Really strong and one will haave to go.Trade!!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

I'm going to drop the names of a few players whom I think Guyton and Tyrone Johnson are BETTER than:

Mark Seay.

Seyi Ajirotutu

Dontrelle Inman

Richard Goodman

In other words, Guyton and Johnson are ALREADY better-- by which I mean more productive-- than a bunch of guys who managed to have a multiple season stretches with the Chargers.

And while it's true that Guyton had some painful drops last season, Travis Benjamin spent three seasons with the Bolts, and was a Drop Machine. Those ready to ax Guyton NOW are rushing things, IMO.

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

I agree and think people are too down on Guyton because of the drops. He really stretches the field and is already better than Benjamin was. People act like the hands can't improve. He won't ever be Larry Fitzgerald out there, but there have been plenty of guys who have gotten better throughout their career. This was really his first season in the NFL. If he can bring the catch % up to 62% over the next couple of years this offense will be incredibly tough to stop. Tyreek Hill is about 65%. Hill is a much more dynamic receiver and a great route runner. But you don't have to be a top 3 WR in the NFL to be a really good number 3 receiver on a team.

Comment

• eaterfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
              I'm going to drop the names of a few players whom I think Guyton and Tyrone Johnson are BETTER than:

Mark Seay.

Seyi Ajirotutu

Dontrelle Inman

Richard Goodman

In other words, Guyton and Johnson are ALREADY better-- by which I mean more productive-- than a bunch of guys who managed to have a multiple season stretches with the Chargers.

And while it's true that Guyton had some painful drops last season, Travis Benjamin spent three seasons with the Bolts, and was a Drop Machine. Those ready to ax Guyton NOW are rushing things, IMO.
              Absolutely correct. Guyton is already better than Benjamin I'll give you the stats. Some of these may be aided by the fact that Herbert has a bigger arm than Rivers did at the end, but a lot of it is probably on the receivers.

Guyton in his first full year with the Chargers had 55 targets. Benjamin averaged 34 per year in his 3 years with the Chargers. Guyton is getting open more often.
              Guyton caught 50.9% of targets Benjamin caught 51%. Draw, but I think Guyton can improve. Benjamin was what he was.
              Guyton averaged 9.3 yards per target. Benjamin averaged 7.7. Guyton was more efficient and getting deeper.
              Guyton averaged 18.3 yards per reception. Benjamin averaged 15.1.
              Guyton averaged 31.9 yards per game. Benjamin averaged 23.7.

Being better than Benjamin doesn't make you an acceptable NFL receiver, but a little improvement an he becomes a good #3 receiver.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Absolutely correct. Guyton is already better than Benjamin I'll give you the stats. Some of these may be aided by the fact that Herbert has a bigger arm than Rivers did at the end, but a lot of it is probably on the receivers.

Guyton in his first full year with the Chargers had 55 targets. Benjamin averaged 34 per year in his 3 years with the Chargers. Guyton is getting open more often.
                Guyton caught 50.9% of targets Benjamin caught 51%. Draw, but I think Guyton can improve. Benjamin was what he was.
                Guyton averaged 9.3 yards per target. Benjamin averaged 7.7. Guyton was more efficient and getting deeper.
                Guyton averaged 18.3 yards per reception. Benjamin averaged 15.1.
                Guyton averaged 31.9 yards per game. Benjamin averaged 23.7.

Being better than Benjamin doesn't make you an acceptable NFL receiver, but a little improvement an he becomes a good #3 receiver.
                And, as a final side note to all this, Johnson had ZERO drops last year...

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I’d be happy to trade one of our wr depth guys for a db depth guy
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by PORTERPARTY1 View Post
                    Allen,Williams,Palmer,Guton, Campbell, plus two from last year. Really strong and one will haave to go.Trade!!
                    Who is Campbell?

Our other guys @WR……
                    T-Billy
                    Joe Reed
                    KJ Hill
                    J. Moore

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• eaterfan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

And, as a final side note to all this, Johnson had ZERO drops last year...
                      I'm excited for Johnson, too. I think he has the highest ceiling of any WR on the roster outside of Keenan Allen. I hope both he and Guyton get a lot of reps this year.

That being said I don't think it's fair to compare drops to percentage of targets that are caught. Johnson did have a 76% completion percentage on targets, which is awesome. The other stats aren't at the level of Guyton yet. I'm not trying to argue Johnson should be cut and Guyton should be on the team when I point out these stats. I want both on the roster and I think both will be awesome in a few years. But drops is an overrated stat in my opinion. It's helpful, but it's not close to the end all be all. It reminds me of errors or fielding percentage in baseball. The goal is to get outs. A SS won't make any errors if he never moves for a ball. I'd rather have the guy who gets 1000 assits a year and makes 10 errors than a guy who makes 800 assists with 0 errors. That's 200 more outs the first SS is getting.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

As I understand it, to really thrive in the Saints offense, the WR have to be really smart. More important than the physical traits. Although if you consider the Saints teams, they always had at least one complementary burner WR. Chargers have at least two of those right now and a QB like Herbert can really threaten defenses with those speed guys.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                        X