• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bartman83642
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

I am pretty excited for the season to be sure. However I think I was more hyped as a kid in the 80's with Air Coryell and Fouts, Winslow, Joiner etc. Maybe being older know has mellowed me out with a different perspective. Have to love the potential of what we have right now but I just can't say I am more excited for this season than any other.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post
      I am pretty excited for the season to be sure. However I think I was more hyped as a kid in the 80's with Air Coryell and Fouts, Winslow, Joiner etc. Maybe being older know has mellowed me out with a different perspective. Have to love the potential of what we have right now but I just can't say I am more excited for this season than any other.
      Being older, and getting kicked in the face after being excited has me skeptical. The team was loaded back in the late 70's-mid 80's, and in the late 2000's. I think there is potential in this roster, but there are so many question marks on the new systems, as well as if Herbert can beat a sophomore jynx... but I think he can. Lets see what happens when they finally are playing.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Or ST , coaching, the DL - always some area. Depth always seems to be thin. We lose Bosa or Ingram (before) and the pass rush falls way off. Or Joseph and we can't stop the run.

After 8 yrs though I finally have a little more confidence in the OL but this year's worry is about the pass rush.
        We got pass rush on the edge. But the interior is a concern. Tillery who many people hate on is the only one who provides a pass rush on the inside. We need another pass rusher in the middle.

Not enough pass rush is why the defense failed the team late in games last year. People blame it on the D being gassed and stuff. The truth of the matter is, you need good depth on the D-line to maintain the good efforts. Bradley doesn't blitz as much as other DCs and his scheme requires all guys up front to get it done. This team's D-line failed because the likes of Square and Rochell just wasn't cutting it. You need players who will cut it to cover for players who are inconsistent like Nwosu. D-line depth is very important.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Being older, and getting kicked in the face after being excited has me skeptical. The team was loaded back in the late 70's-mid 80's, and in the late 2000's. I think there is potential in this roster, but there are so many question marks on the new systems, as well as if Herbert can beat a sophomore jynx... but I think he can. Lets see what happens when they finally are playing.
          The mid and late 2000s team was a good time. I think not winning division has an effect on some people not being able to get excited. It's been a long time, I want to see a division title again.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

We got pass rush on the edge. But the interior is a concern. Tillery who many people hate on is the only one who provides a pass rush on the inside. We need another pass rusher in the middle.

Not enough pass rush is why the defense failed the team late in games last year. People blame it on the D being gassed and stuff. The truth of the matter is, you need good depth on the D-line to maintain the good efforts. Bradley doesn't blitz as much as other DCs and his scheme requires all guys up front to get it done. This team's D-line failed because the likes of Square and Rochell just wasn't cutting it. You need players who will cut it to cover for players who are inconsistent like Nwosu. D-line depth is very important.
            Well we really only had Bosa last year as Ingram was injured and never seemed to be a factor. They made some moves like Fackrell and Rumph adn maybe Nwosu can step up.

None of that is a guarantee but I am hopeful and it looks promising.

It just seems they do just enough. I don't think you ever could have called any of Telesco's rosters 'loaded'
            Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 07-13-2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

2010…ugh. The year we had the #1 offense and #1 defense and still missed the playoffs.
              defensive stats were fake. They weren’t horrible or anything, but no way they were actually the best defense in the league. Yards-based stat was horribly skewed because of how shitty our STs were and turnovers, opposing teams had an once a century amount of short fields. Got Rivera his HC gig, as I recall. They were 10th in pts allowed, a respectable level but far from #1.

fuck Crosby
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

I do believe that Staleys scheme to not give presnap information will really help our DL out as its less predictable who is rushing or playing up on the line. We have unknowns in the pass rush but if we can get 1-2 guys in a good rotation and scheme some pressure Staley style we can be effective.

The O i think we go with what worked well last year and build in the new wrinkles and players. The OL cant be much worse and we are far better on paper so give Herbie enough room to adjust and I think we can put up points and big plays.

just beat WFT is goal 1 now. I think we can beat a 7-9 team.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                  I do believe that Staleys scheme to not give presnap information will really help our DL out as its less predictable who is rushing or playing up on the line. We have unknowns in the pass rush but if we can get 1-2 guys in a good rotation and scheme some pressure Staley style we can be effective.

The O i think we go with what worked well last year and build in the new wrinkles and players. The OL cant be much worse and we are far better on paper so give Herbie enough room to adjust and I think we can put up points and big plays.

just beat WFT is goal 1 now. I think we can beat a 7-9 team.
                  We were also a 7-9 team.
                  WFT is going to be a very tough test.
                  They have a deep dominant DL, very good LB core, decent DBs, and a ton of offensive weapons.
                  They have a questionable Oline/TE stable and Fitz is mix bag at QB.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Some think the WFT has the best defense in the league. I've read that twice now. I don't know how accurate that assessment is but they for sure have a very strong defense.

I happen to think our own defense will be very strong too. I do worry about our lack of depth at Safety though. We need our starting Safeties to stay healthy.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We were also a 7-9 team.
                      They have a deep dominant DL, very good LB core, decent DBs, and a ton of offensive weapons.
                      Spread 'em out. Roll the pocket so that Washington's defense has to assign a spy to Herbert.

It should be a good game. I'd like to see it well played by the Bolts.

Comment

We were also a 7-9 team.
                        I agree that WAS will be a tough test. Their defense is very good overall. However, the defense's one weakness last year was that they were tied for 27th in pass plays of over 40 yards surrendered. IMO, that does not match up well against us.

If we can hit 1-2 big (40+ yard) plays to score or set up TDs, I like our chances as their offense, while improved some from last year, is nothing special. IMO, you are bit too bullish on WFT's offensive weapons. McLaurin is their best offensive weapon and while good, he is not an elite option. Samuel, Brown and Thomas are solid/good players too, but nothing all that great. I think we are still looking at a bottom third offense overall.

Without big plays for us, I see the game as a toss up as I think WFT will have limited sustained drives against us and we will likely have limited sustained drives against their good defense.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

We were also a 7-9 team.
                          The first 2 weeks will be extremely telling. They will test our 2 biggest weaknesses from last year (online and secondary), and consequently, our first 2 draft picks. WFT has the most dominant DL in football and Dak was averaging 371 ypg before his injury.

If we can start 2-0 I think a playoff birth is a given.

*edit* check that, special teams was probably our worst deficiency.
                          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡