• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

OT: FBS Earthquake

Texas and Oklahoma to SEC? Live news updates as Big 12 powers may kick start conference realignment

The Longhorns and Sooners could make the SEC a 16-team superconference

By Barrett Sallee
    59 mins ago

As if College Football Playoff expansion and name, image and likeness rights were not enough to shake up the sport, another round of conference realignment appears to be only a matter of time. Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC about leaving the Big 12 and joining the nation's most powerful conference, sources tell CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd.
    Citing "a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation," the Houston Chronicle's Brent Zwerneman first reported that the SEC could announce the additions of the Longhorns and Sooners "within a couple of weeks."
    In actuality, however, the process may be moving along at a quicker pace. On Friday, Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman cited sources saying the move could announced as official in a week while Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports cited a source saying the transition could "begin" in a week's time.
    While SEC commissioner Greg Sankey along with officials from Texas and Oklahoma have all released statements refusing to comment on these reports, there have been no outward denials to this point. This despite resistance from some tangential parties, namely Texas A&M (not wanting another Lone Star State team in the SEC) and Oklahoma State (not wanting to be left alone in the Big 12).
    This is the second time in just over a decade that the Longhorns and Sooners have given serious consideration to leaving the Big 12. Back during the last round of realignment, the programs (along with the Cowboys) came within 30 minutes of leaving for what was then the Pac-10.
    The additions of Texas and Oklahoma would make the SEC the first 16-team superconference while simultaneously adding massive brand power to a league already seen as the best in college sports. Whether these programs leave now or leave for the SEC specifically, their departure from the Big 12 appears inevitable. CBS Sports will continue covering this developing story with live updates below.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Wowser, Wowser. SEC football is like the NFL light.

Now the Big 10 has to find a way into the Texas and Florida and maybe California TV markets to compete.

And what's the NFL going to do? This is a league in direct competition with them, especially if they start paying players.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Now the Big 10 has to find a way into the Texas and Florida and maybe California TV markets to compete.

And what's the NFL going to do? This is a league in direct competition with them, especially if they start paying players.
      More people will tune out of college football with the further extension of super conferences.
      Just a greatly inferior version of pro football with few traditions. I haven't watched college football in years.

Does anyone remember Nebraska vs Oklahoma on Thanksgiving.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

The new projected starting Bama QB already has over $1 million in endorsements.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

It's professional football in all but the need to pay the athletes market rates.

If the NFL ends the age restriction for draft eligibilty then the SEC dries up. The NCAA only works because the NFL uses it as a free farm system.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

It's professional football in all but the need to pay the athletes market rates.

If the NFL ends the age restriction for draft eligibilty then the SEC dries up. The NCAA only works because the NFL uses it as a free farm system.
            Truth

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

I'll also add that the increased congressional scrutiny of the NCAA may make this all moot. I don't know if the NCAA has an anti trust exemption, but I'm pretty sure the SEC doesn't. Forming exclusionary sub cartels with this level of money flowing in won't stand up to scrutiny.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

It’s only a matter of time before every incoming freshman to a major college football or basketball team will know they have a guaranteed million dollars per year the minute they step on campus.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I think several of the SEC west schools hate this idea. Texas A&M a the front, but also LSU etc. They don’t need two powerhouses ahead of them suddenly.

The bigger problem is that there’s a Big 10 conference, with I think 14 schools, and a Big 12 conference, which has 10 before this change. WTF - everyone can’t just be “Big XX” conference. There should be only one “Big XX” conference. That’s like MWC deciding they will call themselves PAC 11.

I’m sick of trying to explain this Big 10 (which isn’t 10) vs Big 12 (which isn’t 12) thing to my wife. one of them must be forced to change their name to Little X, whichever has fewer schools.

There was some chatter for Big 12 as a possible future home for SDSU. That would be a big upgrade for them from MWC, which nobody gives a fuck about and never will.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Texas A&M to the Big 10? Plus Florida State? I like it.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Texas A&M to the Big 10? Plus Florida State? I like it.
                      FSU is in the ACC.

TAMU and MIZZOU would make a lot of sense though.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

To me, it’s all about TV markets plus historical strength in football. That makes FSU a prime target to me. And the B1G is a better conference than the ACC.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X