Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Jack McGuire

@JackMacCFB

SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State. Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference. OU and Texas just the start.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Jack McGuire

@JackMacCFB

SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State. Not clear if this will materialize, but they have their eyes on a true 20 team MEGA conference. OU and Texas just the start.
      That would be an earthquake
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Big 10 plus UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, Oregon and Wash to make the Super 20? Stay tuned.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Why stop there? The SEC should just invite every Power 5 team, and they can replace the NCAA into one big SEC.

Comment

• floydefisher
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • siberiacuse, ny
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

It's professional football in all but the need to pay the athletes market rates.

If the NFL ends the age restriction for draft eligibilty then the SEC dries up. The NCAA only works because the NFL uses it as a free farm system.
            Hasn't destroyed basketball at all....so I can confidently predict it won't destroy football.

What will destroy all college sports is if the colleges start paying players.

I predict that will pretty much destroy college athletics.
            sigpic

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post

Hasn't destroyed basketball at all....so I can confidently predict it won't destroy football.

What will destroy all college sports is if the colleges start paying players.

I predict that will pretty much destroy college athletics.
              The new image and likeness payments players can get will further separate the haves and have nots. Top SEC and Big10 schools can not only market that they have better facilities, better support and accommodations, get more players drafted, play more top talent, and develop more players for pros - now they can tell recruits the young men will get more $$ in their pocket by attending their schools.

Not sure about “destroy” as colleges will continue to give scholarships, continue to play games, etc etc. but it will just further cement that separation of a pseudo P5 premier league that locks out the other 80%.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

How can it still be called SEC if they take teams that are not from South/East?

Comment

• floydefisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • siberiacuse, ny
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The new image and likeness payments players can get will further separate the haves and have nots. Top SEC and Big10 schools can not only market that they have better facilities, better support and accommodations, get more players drafted, play more top talent, and develop more players for pros - now they can tell recruits the young men will get more $$ in their pocket by attending their schools.

Not sure about “destroy” as colleges will continue to give scholarships, continue to play games, etc etc. but it will just further cement that separation of a pseudo P5 premier league that locks out the other 80%.
                  A player such as Marshall Faulk (who played at SDSU) could get a good agent and PR firm and cash in no matter where he plays. That's not a big issue.

The one I'm talking about is when you actually have to pay players for playing college sports. Here's why: If the football team is being paid, then why not the swim team, or the cross country team as well?

And the issue is not solvable by simply eliminating non revenue sports either. Now you run afoul of federal law (title IX) because you have to have equal numbers of male and female athletes. If the only sports you have are football, and mens and womens basketball, that's not equal according to federal law.

Once players start getting paid by the colleges, say goodbye to college sports.
                  sigpic

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

A player such as Marshall Faulk (who played at SDSU) could get a good agent and PR firm and cash in no matter where he plays. That's not a big issue.

The one I'm talking about is when you actually have to pay players for playing college sports. Here's why: If the football team is being paid, then why not the swim team, or the cross country team as well?

And the issue is not solvable by simply eliminating non revenue sports either. Now you run afoul of federal law (title IX) because you have to have equal numbers of male and female athletes. If the only sports you have are football, and mens and womens basketball, that's not equal according to federal law.

Industries that are only viable by not paying their labor market rates are not viable industries.

Spin off the football and men's basketball teams as semi-pro or pro. They literally are pro teams in every aspect but their labor cost structures. There's no such thing as "revenue amateur" sports. That's a contradiction.

Comment

• Parcells
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Oh man…we’re opening Pandora’s box here…the NCAA has been a mess for a long time. I think there are great benefits to Title IX, but it is a forced equality that has operated independently of the free market. They are attempting to slightly introduce the free market. Let’s see how it goes.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

College sports will remain. But 5 to 10 million dollar coaches salaries won’t. And that’s great because the players make the games worthwhile, not the coaches.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Its absurdly naive to think a RB at SDSU is going to get the same comp as the top RB at OSU or Bama. That’s like saying the coach at SDSU will get the same pay as the others? No, no and no. SEC advertising and promotion money is insane, MWC is practically invisible.

This seems like it can only end up bad to me too.

Comment

Working...
                          X