Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

State of the linebacker corps going into 2021 season

Pro Football Focus's ranking of the top 32 linebackers has Kenneth Murray at No. 23. But there are several other lists out there don't even include Murray, and no other Chargers linebacker is even on the radar.

It seems like the Chargers have not had good linebackers since the days when Merriman and Shaun Philips where on the outside and Randall Godfrey and Donnie Edwards were on the inside. The role of linebacker means different things in a 3-4 compared to a 4-3, so I don't know where to list a player like Melvin Ingram, who played at OLB and DE as a Charger. There have been a plethora of failures in Telesco's time, starting with Manti T'eo, who Telesco raved about after trading up to draft him high in the 2nd round in 2013. They paid Donald Butler, who looked like he might be the next great Chargers inside LB, but after getting his money he ceased to care about being in the NFL. Then there was Perryman, who never lived up his billing after Telesco drafted him in the 2nd round in 2015. For years they've tried to piece together a serviceable LB corps with players like Jatavis Brown, Kyle Emmanuel, Korey Toomer, and every year the LB corps stank.

But, I have a feeling this is going to be the season LB becomes a strength again. Drue Tranquill was a 4th round steal in 2019 and I think he's going to prove it in 2021, with Kenneth Murray entering his 2nd season, maybe a Pro Bowl candidate (maybe Tranquill too). Kyzir White is no worse than average (every player can't be a Pro Bowler) in the middle, and I think there is a chance that Nick Niemann bumps White down the depth chart. It looks like the kid out of Okiehoma State, Ogbongbemiga, might be the best of the UDFA crop this year.

This is the first season in a long while that I'm bullish on our linebackers.

BTW, Drue Tranquill is also an accomplished baseball player. Out of high school he was preparing to play baseball in college with hopes of getting to the majors, but decided to play football instead at the last moment. At Notre Dame, he was a runner-up for the "Academic Heisman," majoring in mechanical engineering. He's a bit like Phil Rivers, deeply religious from his family background, married to his high school sweetheart, already started a family. And he led all LBs in the bench press at the Combine two years ago.
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Pro Football Focus's ranking of the top 32 linebackers has Kenneth Murray at No. 23. But there are several other lists out there don't even include Murray, and no other Chargers linebacker is even on the radar.

It seems like the Chargers have not had good linebackers since the days when Merriman and Shaun Philips where on the outside and Randall Godfrey and Donnie Edwards were on the inside. The role of linebacker means different things in a 3-4 compared to a 4-3, so I don't know where to list a player like Melvin Ingram, who played at OLB and DE as a Charger. There have been a plethora of failures in Telesco's time, starting with Manti T'eo, who Telesco raved about after trading up to draft him high in the 2nd round in 2013. They paid Donald Butler, who looked like he might be the next great Chargers inside LB, but after getting his money he ceased to care about being in the NFL. Then there was Perryman, who never lived up his billing after Telesco drafted him in the 2nd round in 2015. For years they've tried to piece together a serviceable LB corps with players like Jatavis Brown, Kyle Emmanuel, Korey Toomer, and every year the LB corps stank.

But, I have a feeling this is going to be the season LB becomes a strength again. Drue Tranquill was a 4th round steal in 2019 and I think he's going to prove it in 2021, with Kenneth Murray entering his 2nd season, maybe a Pro Bowl candidate (maybe Tranquill too). Kyzir White is no worse than average (every player can't be a Pro Bowler) in the middle, and I think there is a chance that Nick Niemann bumps White down the depth chart. It looks like the kid out of Okiehoma State, Ogbongbemiga, might be the best of the UDFA crop this year.

BTW, Drue Tranquill is also an accomplished baseball player. Out of high school he was preparing to play baseball in college with hopes of getting to the majors, but decided to play football instead at the last moment. At Notre Dame, he was a runner-up for the "Academic Heisman," majoring in mechanical engineering. He's a bit like Phil Rivers, deeply religious from his family background, married to his high school sweetheart, already started a family. And he led all LBs in the bench press at the Combine two years ago.
    Our LB core finally has the physical traits to be excited about throughout the depth chart.
    6’2”/+, 235#/+, speed, instant acceleration, instincts, impact tacklers, range in underneath coverages, excellent blitzers, S2S range vs run, and all young. 2-3 will be core STAs as well.
    Health and Staley’s scheme will maximize their talents as a group.
    I too am very bullish on this position group.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Bad linebackers or coaches that didn't know what to do with them? Every other team made better use of their LBs than we did for the last several years.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I love the tranq gun. 100% baller.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Bad linebackers or coaches that didn't know what to do with them? Every other team made better use of their LBs than we did for the last several years.
          We have had that problem at a lot more positions than just linebacker....

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

I feel injuries really limited us along the way. Perryman was definitely above avg in my book and was quite a good run stuffer but just cant stay on the field. K White was looking excellent as a rookie gaining a lot of attention until the injury then has struggled to get back. Drew has had the injury bug as well.

i think in general TT picks well but coaching scheme and injuries really factored in to growth and success. Having offensive minded HCs pretty much since Marty just didnt seem to emphasize a tough D philosophy either.

lets hope for good health and a better scheme to take advantage of our lb speed to give them better opportunites.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

OLB are basically DE, so there is no need to worry there. We have Bosa and a cast of support characters, which is way better than what Staley had with the Rams last year. Yes, even Leonard Floyd. The only good thing is we have a fair number of OLB, so we will probably see them coming in waves and maybe multiple rush guy packages. But Bosa is still going to rush most of the time, with only the occasional zone blitz away from him, just like in the past.

At ILB Murray is coming off a a rookie season, and he was pretty raw coming out of college. If you expected him to have an instant impact last year, you probably needed your head examined. Sure, rookies who have no idea what they are doing can occasionally step up and have amazing rookie years, but it's pretty rare. Murray will be a lot better off this season. Partly, he has a year of learning under his belt, where he did get better, and some because he has a coach that has a plan for him.

Murray was a prospect whose best skills coming out were that he was a downhill guy and great blitzer. We then put him into a read and react D, which doesn't make much sense if you want to get the best out of him, especially if you are relying on his instincts rather than his experience.

Staley D is still going to ask Murray to read and react some, that is the nature of the LB spot. The big change is it will give him a MORE chances to attack and ask him to play downhill.

As for the other ILB, we have plenty of guys in the mix. White who is a pumped up DB who has never really made the step up after having a great start to his rookie year. Tranquill, who got better and better as a rookie and was looking like a solid LB by the end of the year. Egbule has 1st round type physical skills, but is not instinctive or has seemed to put much together. Christiansen and Niemann are both promising younger players.

The other key thing to remember is that with the Rams, the 2nd ILB is usually the 1st guy off the field. Some combination of Gilman, Webb and/or James will probably play as much or more at a hybrid S/LB spot. Some starter is going to have to give way for the extra DB. Staley played at least one extra DB something like 85% of the time last year, and most decent were right behind him. IF we aren't using the DB in place of the LB, it because we aren't playing well. There is no DB on our roster (or other NFL rosters) who can consistently run with all the WR, small RB and smaller TE that are so common in today's NFL.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Apparently coach Staley shares my assessment of our 2021 LB corps... “strength of this football team." :thumbsup:

ChargersWire writer Gavino Borquez is perhaps guilty of a bit of hyperbole when he says...

Most teams have one solid linebacker. Some have two. But very few have three that can be counted on to step on the field and perform at a high level.

The Chargers fall under the latter, having a dominant trio made up of Kenneth Murray, Drue Tranquill and Kyzir White. :koolaid:

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

I think we should ease up on the rigid comparisons to what Staley did with the Rams.

With the Rams, Staley took the 2nd ILB off the field and replaced him with a safety because ILB was not a strength of that roster, and safety was.

Staley has said time and time again that he’s tailoring the defensive personnel to the strength of the roster. If that hasn’t sunk in by now, you’re not paying attention.

Behind Derwin and Nas, our existing safeties are dubious at best. However, in White and Tranq, we have 2 very fast, very smart ILBs who can cover, and were both former safeties themselves.
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                    I think we should ease up on the rigid comparisons to what Staley did with the Rams.

With the Rams, Staley took the 2nd ILB off the field and replaced him with a safety because ILB was not a strength of that roster, and safety was.

Staley has said time and time again that he’s tailoring the defensive personnel to the strength of the roster. If that hasn’t sunk in by now, you’re not paying attention.

Behind Derwin and Nas, our existing safeties are dubious at best. However, in White and Tranq, we have 2 very fast, very smart ILBs who can cover, and were both former safeties themselves.
                    Bingo! I concur.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Good thread.

White was a player I really liked coming out of WV. He never really played a true safety in college, but was more of a hybrid. And I saw him absolutely light people up. Like a bigger Rodney Harrison. His rookie year it looked like he was going to continue his college success then the injury and the wierd Lynn approach to him getting better and then seeing the field when he was supposedly better (health wise). And the prior defense seemed to emphasize what he is not good at and limit what he is great at (similar to Murray.) I have high hopes for him this year and glad that Staley keeps mentioning him.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        Good thread.

White was a player I really liked coming out of WV. He never really played a true safety in college, but was more of a hybrid. And I saw him absolutely light people up. Like a bigger Rodney Harrison. His rookie year it looked like he was going to continue his college success then the injury and the wierd Lynn approach to him getting better and then seeing the field when he was supposedly better (health wise). And the prior defense seemed to emphasize what he is not good at and limit what he is great at (similar to Murray.) I have high hopes for him this year and glad that Staley keeps mentioning him.

TG
                        He was my second favorite player we drafted, behind Derwin, in 2018. Kyzir is exceptionally explosive in a 20 yard radius. He played the “spur” position at WV and like you said was a big hitting playmaker. White has a nose for the football, makes defensive stops, but has limited top end speed. Staley and Hill will set him up for success.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

Working...
                        X