• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

What Scares You Most?

As a lifelong Charger fan, I've seen it all. Rooting for the Chargers since 1980 has made me the unrelenting cynic I am today. Memories of so many missed FGs, dropped INTs, boneheaded penalties, and near misses along the way.

As a result, I go into every season with a "glass half empty" mentality. Of course.

This year, though, I am excited. Or, I have been.

Staley is a breath of fresh air in terms of personality and having a coach who can scheme (and I mean scheme in the modern era). When is the last time we had those qualities in a head coach? Jalen Ramsey's endorsement of Staley made me incredibly hopeful.

As we head into this season, my annual Charger cynicism is starting to bubble up. The underwhelming OL backups being a heartbeat away. A kicker winning the job with a subpar preseason. The special teams showing no progress at all to this point. Needless to say, I'm skeptical.

But my biggest fear, from the moment we hired him, is Joe Lombardi. I've got this odd feeling that he will be a headache for us. Or, he might get by, but only because of Justin Herbert.

Seeing Joe's brief and disastrous track record as an OC with Detroit freaks me out (and I'm sure people will find a way to dismiss it). Reflecting on our original 53-man roster and knowing the players cut and kept that bothered me most are on Joe's side of the ball (cutting Tyron Johnson, keeping Trey Pipkins) and wondering if, as Staley's former coach, Brandon is given far too much credit to Joe in making decisions. Add to those things our one-injury-away-from-disaster OL, as well as our meager depth at RB, and this could be an infuriating year on that side of the ball (stalled drives, delays of game, stupid play calling).

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong. And Herbert covers a multitude of sins.

But Joe Lombardi scares me most going into this season.

What scares you most?
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Special teams.
    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Herbert sort of regressing with fans in the stands. The Will Myers effect. lol Other stadiums could really be loud as well. Just gonna be different for him this season.

But yeah missed field goals....and the inability to adjust on the fly during a game. Diagnose and adjust etc. Close out games.

Im sure Staley will fix that stuff......but preseason sure looked familiar for the usual charger type mistakes. My guess is most of the guys playing in the 2nd and 3rd games saw literally no snaps in camp. Thats where Staley really maxed out our starters and select backups.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

A D that won’t pressure when it should.

Comment

• DragonIce
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2021
          • Arizona
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
          What scares you most?
          This forum being swept away, Ida style, by flooding of nonsense posts from a certain member (CC).

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

Spoooooky ghosts

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              Special teams.
              This is the other one that scares me most.

And the Spoooooky Ghosts.

Comment

• DragonIce
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2021
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

My emotion for the upcoming season is 95% excitement. Looking forward to improvements with the defense, o-line and Herbert.

Worst case is likely 8-9. Best case is likely 11-6 and a wild card game win. I'm here to enjoy the building of a juggernaut. It's not arriving this first year, and I'm ok with that.

I bought one of the very first Macintoshes right after graduation from UCLA in '84. It was exciting to be a part of such a new and amazing thing...to consider where things were headed. I feel some of the same since joining up with the Powder Blues in 2021.

It's a Herbert pass getting launched into the night sky. It's hope.
                Last edited by DragonIce; 09-02-2021, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Berserker76
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Our kicker. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are giving Vizcaino a chance, but I wonder if our kicking woes will ever end. Too many years of cringing prior to every extra-point and field goal. Make a believer out of me, Tristan.

Comment

• Bolts&noles
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
                    As a lifelong Charger fan, I've seen it all. Rooting for the Chargers since 1980 has made me the unrelenting cynic I am today. Memories of so many missed FGs, dropped INTs, boneheaded penalties, and near misses along the way.

As a result, I go into every season with a "glass half empty" mentality. Of course.

This year, though, I am excited. Or, I have been.

Staley is a breath of fresh air in terms of personality and having a coach who can scheme (and I mean scheme in the modern era). When is the last time we had those qualities in a head coach? Jalen Ramsey's endorsement of Staley made me incredibly hopeful.

As we head into this season, my annual Charger cynicism is starting to bubble up. The underwhelming OL backups being a heartbeat away. A kicker winning the job with a subpar preseason. The special teams showing no progress at all to this point. Needless to say, I'm skeptical.

But my biggest fear, from the moment we hired him, is Joe Lombardi. I've got this odd feeling that he will be a headache for us. Or, he might get by, but only because of Justin Herbert.

Seeing Joe's brief and disastrous track record as an OC with Detroit freaks me out (and I'm sure people will find a way to dismiss it). Reflecting on our original 53-man roster and knowing the players cut and kept that bothered me most are on Joe's side of the ball (cutting Tyron Johnson, keeping Trey Pipkins) and wondering if, as Staley's former coach, Brandon is given far too much credit to Joe in making decisions. Add to those things our one-injury-away-from-disaster OL, as well as our meager depth at RB, and this could be an infuriating year on that side of the ball (stalled drives, delays of game, stupid play calling).

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong. And Herbert covers a multitude of sins.

But Joe Lombardi scares me most going into this season.

What scares you most?
                    All the same reasons you posted. Throw in a few others over Johnson.
                    If the offense takes a step back that would be extremely disappointing.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                      Did we win?
                      • Jun 2013
                      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                      • Send PM

OL depth scares me the most.
                      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

The offense moving away from what made it great and exciting (the vertical passing game) scares me the most going into the regular season. That is, in my view, why all of the emphasis on Palmer and the cutting of Jonson are both bad for the team. We will see how that plays out soon enough. And I truly do hope I am wrong about Palmer.

A slightly lesser concern is the not so great looking so far STs.

A third concern is that we will not generate enough of a pass rush.

I feel pretty good about the OL as I think Jaimes and Norton will be okay if/when called upon. Basically, as long as Pipkins is inactive every week or someone at least triple duct tapes him to the bench when active, I feel pretty good about the OL.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍