Chargers @ WFT GDT and Post Game Discussion (Wk 1)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SBbound
    Casual fanatic
    • Feb 2019
    • Merced/San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I wonder if that is the end of his career. He's almost 39 years old.
    That was my thought when the announcing crew said that he was out for at least several weeks. It's sad to see the end of someone's career.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Why is everyone only pointing out Mike Williams endzone drop when Keenan Allen had one as well?

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
        Things I didn’t like: Penalties need to be cleaned up, particularly by the defense. I only remember 1 call against our OL so that was impressive but Bosa’s 2 were both huge as was the PI call at the end of the first.

There wasn’t a ton of pressure aside from Bosa. Nwosu/Fackrell don’t need to be world beaters but some level of consistency opposite Bosa is needed over the course of the season. I expect this to get better but was hoping for more week 1.

I know Ekeler was dealing with his hammy during the week and Rountree played well but was a bit disappointed in the overall lack of Ekeler, especially in the pass game. There were a couple screens meant to go his way that WFT played well but I was hoping to see a Kamara-type usage of Ekeler in the passing game and that didn’t manifest week 1. Part of it may be due to the WR doing a good job of getting open and not needing to go to check downs as often but it’s something I’ll be keeping an eye on.

Bulaga. Even before leaving the game early (which I’m sure shocked everyone) he was giving up the most pressure along the OL. It was his hip flexor in practice this week, but they said his back was why he left the game. Norton did well in his place but it’s not great seeing Bulaga pick up where he left off last season.

Punt coverage. It got better as the game went on but still the worst unit on ST. Work to be done all around but at least ST didn’t cost us the game so there’s some reason for optimism right?

Adderley. Looking like the weak link on the back end. His angles looked a lot better than last year and he was in good position at times to make plays but he is still failing to actually make those plays. Thomas made him look like a fool on his TD catch.

Redzone offense. Some of this is on the players for poor execution, like MW’s end zone drop, but you have to share some of the blame with the coaching as well. I think establishing the run a bit more will help but this is definitely the aspect of the offense that needs the most work going forward. Luckily I think Dallas’ D will cure a lot of our offensive woes next week.
        Ekeler was not needed this game as an outlet. He'll get used plenty against a different opponent. The game plan was a lot of quick hitters and flanker screens. Ekeler was not used on purpose. I think Lombardi knew that Herbert was not going to have time to read all his progressions and then dump it off if no one was open. thankfully someone was always open!

We only punted two times. Both times the returner got 10-15 yards. So it looked the same to me, and to be fair, small sample. I would like to see Vizacaino just boom the ball vs the really high shorter kicks hoping to pin the returner. We arent so good at pinning the returner.

Agree on all the rest. Baluga is a concern, as you say, even if not injured.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I beg to differ on the pressure our D put WFT's QB under. I think they were harassing WFT's QBs most of the game, and not just Bosa. It was Nwosu that got through and flattened Fitzpatrick.

Comment

• Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Murray and White played the whole game. (Well, Murray played every defensive snap, while White played 38/55 because the Chargers were in the nickle/dime much of the time.) Popper has said that White beat out Tranquill for the second ILB starting position. But I agree that it was suprising that neither Murray nor White was given a breather.
            On 5 tackles, White forced two fumbles, including the important fumble deep in WFT territory that led to the game winning TD. Both were beautifully executed plays by White specifically designed to knock the ball out. While he missed at least one tackle that I saw, overall, he justified being made the starter.

While it is great to have Tranquill as a reserve, I see no need to have extensive substituting at ILB for the sake of keeping the ILBs fresh. K-9 is very talented so I want him on the field. He also helps the defense "bow up", especially with Perryman no longer on the team. While we want to be fast on defense, without him on the field, I could see us being too small/soft as the defense is more of a speed/finesse defense than a strength/power defense even with Murray on the field.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
              Why is everyone only pointing out Mike Williams endzone drop when Keenan Allen had one as well?
              Keenan’s drop was around the 10 not in the end zone but it was still a bad drop. MW’s drop was a sure 6 that eventually led to the farthest traveled strip/sack in NFL history. Totally agree Keenan should get some grief for his drop but he’s also learned a longer leash than MW.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Keenan’s drop was around the 10 not in the end zone but it was still a bad drop. MW’s drop was a sure 6 that eventually led to the farthest traveled strip/sack in NFL history. Totally agree Keenan should get some grief for his drop but he’s also learned a longer leash than MW.
                Keenan Allen dropped a touchdown in the first quarter. They each dropped a ball in the end zone yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

The surprises for me in yesterday's snap counts were mostly on the offensive side.

Everyone seemed to think that Palmer would be WR3, but snaps were Guyton 53 (5 targets), Palmer 14 (1 target) and Hill 7 (3 targets).

Also surprised that JJ didn't get more play: Ekeler 47 snaps, Rountree 22, JJ 11 (and just 1 rush).
                  As I stated previously, Guyton's superior contact balance was again on display yesterday. He absolutely should be our #3 WR.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

This is probably the most encouraging statement I have come across yet from the Chargers / WFT game! Who would have thought this with this rebuilt OL going against the WFT talented front. I did not see Slater being this solid so early on in his career, so I am very glad I was wrong about it!
                    Big question mark going into week 1 with an incredibly positive answer

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Ekeler was not needed this game as an outlet. He'll get used plenty against a different opponent. The game plan was a lot of quick hitters and flanker screens. Ekeler was not used on purpose. I think Lombardi knew that Herbert was not going to have time to read all his progressions and then dump it off if no one was open. thankfully someone was always open!

We only punted two times. Both times the returner got 10-15 yards. So it looked the same to me, and to be fair, small sample. I would like to see Vizacaino just boom the ball vs the really high shorter kicks hoping to pin the returner. We arent so good at pinning the returner.

Agree on all the rest. Baluga is a concern, as you say, even if not injured.

TG
                      Agree about Ekeler probably being a game plan thing. I guess I expected more screens to negate the pass rush but the OL didn’t really need help in that regard.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Washington is again in QB trouble, and Justin Herbert reminded of what could have been

WashPo columnist Barry Svrluga lamenting WFT didn't draft Herbert. Notes that the QB has much more impact on the game than a DE, even a good one like Chase Daniels. And that the Chargers have a bright future with Herbert while WFT's 30 years of quarterback wilderness has no end in sight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...football-team/

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Third Down Conversions -- Chargers 14-19 on third down, while Washington Football Team was 3-10.

I could marvel at that stat all-day.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡