Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

A lot of NFL people are bagging on Joe Lombardi,
    because of his bad stint at DET.

IDK, Joe was excellent today...him n Herb.
    Wasn't Joe Lombardi's stint in Detroit, like, 12 years ago?!?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

It was a few years ago, for sure.
      Obvious, Joe has learned.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

It was a few years ago, for sure.
        Obvious, Joe has learned.
        It would appear so! After his lengthy successful run in New Orleans, I wouldn't have expected that his experience in Detroit would *still* be held against him, but... in some places, it *is*!

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

A lot of NFL people are bagging on Joe Lombardi,
          because of his bad stint at DET.

IDK, Joe was excellent today...him n Herb.
          The bad stint in DET + the fact he hadn't been an OC outside of that, mostly just a QB coach. Let's just say the body of work wasn't wowing anyone. It was more that he spent time learning under Sean Payton.

Comment

• DragonIce
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2021
            • Arizona
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
            Let's just say the body of work wasn't wowing anyone.
            Wowed EVERYONE that mattered. Staley wanted him and I'd take Brandon's evaluation over anyone else. I know Lombardi was one of your 95 theses of imminent Charger defeat. Looks like you misjudged both the game and Joe.

We all make mistakes. What can we learn from them?

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

Wowed EVERYONE that mattered. Staley wanted him and I'd take Brandon's evaluation over anyone else. I know Lombardi was one of your 95 theses of imminent Charger defeat. Looks like you misjudged both the game and Joe.

We all make mistakes. What can we learn from them?
              Um...who exactly was Lombardi WOWing prior to this season? Detroit hired him from NO in 2014. Then fired him. Then, he sat for 6 or so years as a QB coach. Who else did he WOW besides his former player? I don't recall him being on any HC candidate lists and discussions. Heck, did he get interviewed for any OC positions? He was just cool chilling as the QB coach?

Again, I want Lombardi to be good and do well. Of course. But you mistake legitimate concerns with bitching or being a naysayer. I'm a lifelong Charger fan - win, lose, or draw. Love them. And hate when they do stupid things. I want them to learn from their mistakes (since we all make mistakes, even the Chargers...wow).

After that game, I still have a theses regarding our team. Heck, Staley has a theses of things they need to work on and improve (why does Staley bitch so much about his team???). But, as you know, we focus on weaknesses in order to improve. I imagine it's how the players learn from their mistakes.

I can nail my upcoming theses to a nearby door if it'd make you feel better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

I agree. Called a really nice game, some good misdirection stuff...some someone wrote something on Twitter saying he got us a lot of free yards by play design.

That seems right.

The O Line was really, really, really, good in pass pro. The run blocking...meh? Id like to see us a bit more balanced, but WFT does have a good D line.

Herbert was lights out...except for the pick. You gotta include that. But man, the dropped balls...he would have barely had an incompletion. (I don't blame Guyton on that one in the end zone. That was good defense, he got popped pretty good, and clean. That'd be tough for anyone to hold on to.

He looked MVP good. Everything was on time, and right on the money. I'm not saying he's going to win MVP...it's one game. But he threw with great accuracy and timing.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• DragonIce
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2021
                  • Arizona
                  • Send PM

Um...who exactly was Lombardi WOWing prior to this season? Detroit hired him from NO in 2014. Then fired him. Then, he sat for 6 or so years as a QB coach. Who else did he WOW besides his former player? I don't recall him being on any HC candidate lists and discussions. Heck, did he get interviewed for any OC positions? He was just cool chilling as the QB coach?

Again, I want Lombardi to be good and do well. Of course. But you mistake legitimate concerns with bitching or being a naysayer. I'm a lifelong Charger fan - win, lose, or draw. Love them. And hate when they do stupid things. I want them to learn from their mistakes (since we all make mistakes, even the Chargers...wow).

After that game, I still have a theses regarding our team. Heck, Staley has a theses of things they need to work on and improve (why does Staley bitch so much about his team???). But, as you know, we focus on weaknesses in order to improve. I imagine it's how the players learn from their mistakes.

You said Lombardi impressed no one. I conveyed that Joe certainly impressed Brandon. And I'll tell you someone else. Someone who's opinion matters more than anyone you can name: Sean Payton. Payton is one of the most well regarded offensive minds in NFL history...and Joe made enough impression to stick in New Orleans for years due to his offensive mind and overall coaching professionalism.

I'd call that a helluva resume: Lombardi impressed both Payton and Staley, and he's now worked for both.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

I understand why people were nervous about Lombardi.

So far the signs are good though. Staley is not Caldwell. The entire coaching staff is built on multiplicity and disguise. Everyone is on the same page.

It's one real game, but it's one real game where the coaching staff looked competent and in control. They did everything Chargers fans have been asking for for years. Pass on first down? Check. Not waste timeouts? Check. Manage the clock? Check. Stay aggresive with a lead? Check.

Give credit where it's due. He called a good game.

Comment

• DragonIce
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2021
                      • Arizona
                      • Send PM

No thanks. I don't find lists for a Charger loss compelling reading. I switched teams because I'm a believer in this Bolt team.

My thesis is this: Brandon Staley will be on the short list for coach of the year, if he has good health he'll make a HOF candidate...and he will earn even your trust.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                        Chargers Hall of Fame
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

No thanks. I don't find lists for a Charger loss compelling reading. I switched teams because I'm a believer in this Bolt team.

My thesis is this: Brandon Staley will be on the short list for coach of the year, if he has good health he'll make a HOF candidate...and he will earn even your trust.
                        Hey - we have something in common! I don't find gripes about people griping all that compelling, especially in a football forum. There are enough Karens in this world.

What's more compelling is talking about football. You know, the good and bad of our team. Having a difference of opinions from the same set of data is wonderful. Fun. I sure hope Staley is coach of the year.

Let's try it this way. How are you feeling about the current state of our special teams? Anything you think that needs to be cleaned up? Or is it perfect?

Or, maybe this one. How are you feeling about our OL depth? Anything you think the Chargers could/should do (or should have done) in that area? Or are we perfect there too?

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

7 years ago. He only lasted a year and a half.

Comment

Working...
                          X