• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I posted this earlier.. Raiders, keep you dirty paws off Joe Lombardi. Anyway, any team that gets to the playoffs usually gets coaches poached. I think Cam Cameron had a lot to be desired as an OC, and gladly he was taken by the Dolphins. Daboll had no one knocking on his door for years , and all of a sudden, half this board wanted him.

Anyway, I do hope Lombardi works out for the Chargers, and earns interviews that some will complain are hurting his playoff prep... its the price of success.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NewChargers View Post
      Joe may get HC consideration after this season. What do you think?
      He may but more likely in 2023+.

Welcome to TPB!
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

I still think Bienemy and Daboll would be ahead of him for teams looking for an offensive mind. Brady in Carolina has also done a good job making Darnold look like an NFL QB this year. Also depends on how many teams are looking for coaches come the end of the year. Raiders and Jags will be, but too early in the season to tell on any other teams I think.

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

If you’ve got a young franchise QB and are in need of a head coach, I think he has to at least get an interview. If for no other reason than to pick his brain.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I still think Bienemy and Daboll would be ahead of him for teams looking for an offensive mind. Brady in Carolina has also done a good job making Darnold look like an NFL QB this year. Also depends on how many teams are looking for coaches come the end of the year. Raiders and Jags will be, but too early in the season to tell on any other teams I think.
            Daboll: yes. Bienemy: I don’t see it. That offense is the design of Andy Reid. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d short Bienemy if he were a stock.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I think Bienemy gets his shot this time. Been touted as a top prospect, would seem to weaken a division rival, is a diverse hire, offensive minded.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

I’m glad Lombardi did learn from his time as the Lion’s OC, and that Herbert is flourishing under him as opposed to what happened with Stafford. There is still some concerns especially with the earlier downs. Reading this article was nice but also brought up some potential issues that will hopefully be resolved.
                https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/1...021-browns-win

Herbert’s tape has some analysts ready to put him in the elite tier of NFL passers, and rightfully so. But before the Cleveland game, his statistical production hadn’t quite matched the eye test. He ranked a good-not-great 10th in expected points added (EPA) per play, per RBSDM.com. And he ranked 11th in QBR and tied for 17th in adjusted net yards per attempt (ANY/A). Those underwhelming numbers got a boost after Sunday—but his disconcerting lack of production on early downs continued even on his monster day. Herbert’s 0.04 EPA per play on first and second downs ranks 25th in the league, but on third down, he jumps up to 0.44 EPA per play, which ranks sixth.

The large gap in those splits is easy to explain. So far this season, the Chargers have had difficulty turning accurate passes into completions. Among quarterbacks with at least 40 early-down passing attempts, Herbert has the biggest gap between his on-target throw rate (84.3 percent) and his completion percentage (68.4 percent). He is putting the ball where it needs to be. It’s just not being caught. And while some of the responsibility for that chasm falls on the Chargers receivers, a good chunk should also be attributed to offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi.

Lombardi, who came over from the Saints this year, asks a lot of his players. His system calls for a lot of tough throws to the perimeter, and a lot of tough catches along the sidelines. (The Chargers are tied for the third-most “contested catch” targets in the league, per Pro Football Focus.) Sure, Lombardi is incorporating his fair share of play-action passes, which have been a cheat code for most offenses. But for the Chargers, those plays have mostly attacked the sidelines rather than the middle of the field, which requires longer throws that are more difficult to connect on. Per Sports Info Solutions, no quarterback has attempted more play-action passes aimed outside the numbers than Herbert has this season. And the strategy isn’t working: Herbert ranks 28th in ANY/A on play-action passes this season.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Teams have also been covering the middle of the field and running a lot of cover 2 or cover 4. It's one reason the run blocking has improved so much.

As we've shifted to more tight formations those early down epa numbers have improved. Our red zone offense has also improved since week 2. The data sets are still small.

Also recall we had 2 first down turnover at or near the red zone and 2 second down turnover at or near the red zone. Those are probably a combined -20 EPA.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

The Chargers beat the Browns on Sunday in an old-fashioned 47-42 shootout. The performance we saw from Justin Herbert is what you get when you surround a smart and supremely talented quarterback wi…

3 of the 4 TD passes were play action. Our screen game is improving as the line gets more reps together.

This is a new scheme. It takes time to work everything out

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Funny how things can change in a week. I’m still cautiously optimistic. He’s been decent for the most part this season so far, except for this past game. Hopefully he learns from today and we improve.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        I’m glad Lombardi did learn from his time as the Lion’s OC, and that Herbert is flourishing under him as opposed to what happened with Stafford. There is still some concerns especially with the earlier downs. Reading this article was nice but also brought up some potential issues that will hopefully be resolved.
                        https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/1...021-browns-win
                        This area mentioned in the article needs to be adjusted. It’s okay to attack the middle of the field also.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Press man is the issue we need to solve. Raiders went to it in the second half to help spark their run. Ravens used it until halfway through the 4th quarter.

The offense should spend the entire week working on press man concepts. If I was a D I would use it on us until we show we can beat it.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍