• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I thought Prothro was the GM for that draft class - it was damn stellar
    I thought so too, but pro-football-reference has Svare as the GM.

Prothro probably had control of the draft and personnel , but didn't have the GM title.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I thought so too, but pro-football-reference has Svare as the GM.

Prothro probably had control of the draft and personnel , but didn't have the GM title.
      Steve Ortmayer and Boss Bobby Ross were the best of the GMs during the two decades of the 80s and 90s. John Butler served the shortest, and we fans were robbed of his presence in San Diego, by his untimely passing. His first two picks in 2001 are going to the Hall of Fame.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

2006 Chargers - Marty snapped like a dry twig in the home playoff game and AJ wanted Marty fired for it. There is audio of Marty, on head-set, saying that someone needs to 'come calm him down.' I love Marty but his playoff record speaks for itself. He brought his worst playoff defeat with him and it was the final game he ever coached. THAT is why that 2006 squad lost to the Patriots at home.

For reference, I was a massive Cleveland fan when Elway's Broncos beat Marty's Brown in back-to back playoff games, with 'The Drive' and 'The Fumble.' This was 'The Meltdown'.

How do I know this? NFL Films had Marty wired for sound that day and I saw a partial transcript.
        Does for AJ too. You don't get the nickname The Lord Of No Rings for nothing.

He hired Norv for cris sakes. One of the worst moves in Chargers history imo

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Does for AJ too. You don't get the nickname The Lord Of No Rings for nothing.

He hired Norv for cris sakes. One of the worst moves in Chargers history imo

Can you point to the area on the doll where Norv Turner touched you?

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Can you point to the area on the doll where Norv Turner touched you?
            It got AJ fired lol. Both went out together as they should.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
              If I remember wright, Marty was much less conservative for that game.
              If M. McCree take a knee after his INT, Shotty would have seemed like a genius.
              The one playoff game where all Marty had to do was run the ball in the 2nd half and just play "Marty Ball" he chokes and gets cute. Marty Ball killed him in the other playoff games with a much less potent running game and he stubbornly stuck to running the ball.

Go figure

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The one playoff game where all Marty had to do was run the ball in the 2nd half and just play "Marty Ball" he chokes and gets cute. Marty Ball killed him in the other playoff games with a much less potent running game and he stubbornly stuck to running the ball.

Go figure
                Bill Belichick was on-record in saying they could not stop San Diego's rushing attack that season. But, Wade went prevent before the half, and gave up points, and we all saw what the team did after that.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Raiders interviewing Bucs' DC Todd Bowles for the HC position. I have a feeling that Bisaccia will not get the job, even though he's a good coach, and I wouldn't mind him back with the Chargers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    Raiders interviewing Bucs' DC Todd Bowles for the HC position. I have a feeling that Bisaccia will not get the job, even though he's a good coach, and I wouldn't mind him back with the Chargers.
                    I would hope they are waiting to hear about Bisaccia. I know he worked for the Chargers once. An excellent ST coach.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Todd Bowles would improve Vegas' aggressiveness on defense, but it would all depend on who Bowles could land to coordinate the offense. When Bowles takes over, I expect to see the offense production to decrease, like it did with the Jets. There were contributing factors, but was largely responsible for the Jets woes.

A coach only gets two shots (on average) at HC in the NFL. Your second shot should not be with the Raiders.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Nathaniel Hackett has finished a second interview in Denver.

Hackett would be an interesting choice for Broncos, Marty tells a great story about his relationships with Hackett's father, Paul, from 1994. Schottenheimer and Hackett had served together as assistant coaches on Sam Rutigliano's Cleveland staff in the early 1980s, for those Chargers fans who remember the Cardiac Kids.

It was major news in Kansas City last February when Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer announced he would scrap his power running game and hire Paul Hackett to install a San Francisco-style offense, which originated with former Niners coach Bill Walsh.

"I called Paul Hackett the day after he was fired at the University of Pittsburgh," Schottenheimer said. "I said nothing about a job, but I said I'd be in touch with him. . . . He's the finest quarterback coach I've ever been around."

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

"I was looking to be able to catch more balls running vertically or angularly up the field than the other offense afforded us," Schottenheimer said.
                          Fascinating to hear Marty talk about his coaching philosophy during his prime. And the manufactured offensive production that comes from the West-Coast offense - through the controlled passing game - versus Ernie Zampese's passing tree.

Chargers are going through a similar transition, adjusting to a shorter, controlled passing game of higher percentage passes, with Lombardi's offense. I think the Chargers need to tear the flanker screen from the playbook, but I believe they keep it in, even as a no-gain, and force the defense honor the entire field, or open up the deeper outs.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍