First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blueman
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Chargers were the No. 5 scoring offense in the league, with 474 points - 27.9 pts per game. The top scoring team in the NFL was the Cowboys - 31.2 pts per game. The Bucs were 2nd - 30.1. The Bills (28.4) and the Chiefs (28.2) were Nos. 3 & 4. The Chargers scored more points that the Packers, Bengals, Rams, Patriots, Titans and Cardinals. Every team in the top 12 in scoring is in the playoffs, except the Chargers.

Now let's look at the defense. It was 29th, tied with the Falcons, in most points allowed per game - 27. Only the Lions (27.5) and NY Jets (29.6) were worse.

The offense is top 5 in scoring - it scored more points than either of the top 2 seeds. The defense is 29th worst out of 32 teams in points allowed.. You tell me where the upgrade is needed.
    Watching the games, including the last one, there were mistakes everywhere, a true team loss. I’m all for fixing the D (upgrade Murray and Tillery’s snaps to start with), but also improve the O (right side of the line, also a receiving threat that can reliably take the top of a D, we don’t really have anybody who does that IMHO).

D issues aside, glad our O scored so many points, just sucks they left so many on the field game after game.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Williams is a reliable, clutch receiver. It’s obvious Herbert trusts him. Telesco needs to resign Williams and stop letting good players go to other teams and excel.

Is Williams perfect and injury risk free? No. Nobody is.
    This right here, very well stated.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post

I stand by my assertion he is too big. Meaning only his size slows him down. Does he get some jump balls? For sure...but so do a lot smaller guys...IMO he just has not lived up to his draft position. He is not a premier receiver because he disappears for games at a time....for the right price sure keep him. He is a good guy. Larry Fitzgerald is a hall of famer so comparison is bogus. Williams will never be that.
    I'm sorry, but asserting Mike Williams is "too big" is crazy. He had 1,146 yds receiving and scored 9 TDs in 2021. Williams is 6-3.5 and 218 lbs. He is exactly the same size as Cincinnati's outstanding WR Tee Higgins. Was Vincent Jackson (RIP) too big? He was an 6-5 and 230 lbs. Mike Williams was also faster on the field with the ball in his hands than his 40-time. Remember the catch and run for a TD in the Pitt game? He out ran everybody in the Steeler's secondary to get into the end zone. There were other instances this season when after he made the catch and had the ball in his hands, he outran DBs. WRs who can put up numbers like MW did this season don't grow on trees. We've got him, don't let him go.

BTW, Mike Williams and Keenan Allen (1.138) finished 11th and 12th in receiving yards this season. No other team had two receivers in the top 12, not even factoring in tight ends. This is why I advocate retaining Mike Williams. When you have a WR duo that are both in the top 12, you don't break it up. It definitely aint broke, let's not fix it.

Leave a comment:

• Riverwalk
    replied
    Williams is a reliable, clutch receiver. It’s obvious Herbert trusts him. Telesco needs to resign Williams and stop letting good players go to other teams and excel.

Is Williams perfect and injury risk free? No. Nobody is.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, Lord Ive heard it all on MW now. Simply NOT going to happen. He is too fucking big? Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones say GTFOH....to name a couple.

McCaffrey has been hurt for 2 years now. Holy shit just think of the flack he would catch here.

MW missed 1 game last year and part of another...... missed 3 games the last 3 seasons and many here like you say he is injured too much.

McCaffrey would get stoned here.
    He was great for few seasons but he is a smaller RB who got used too much.
    I stand by my assertion he is too big. Meaning only his size slows him down. Does he get some jump balls? For sure...but so do a lot smaller guys...IMO he just has not lived up to his draft position. He is not a premier receiver because he disappears for games at a time....for the right price sure keep him. He is a good guy. Larry Fitzgerald is a hall of famer so comparison is bogus. Williams will never be that.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We scored plenty. Have up plenty more. Defense wins championships.
    Did anybody think that against the Raiders those two drives in OT - they would get a stop on third down?

The Vikings - how many long down and distance did they convert
    The Broncos game - 8 for 11
    The Texans game - the defense forced one punt - plus lost time of possession. One stop - couldn't get it

The defense could not get off the field.

Telesco and Staley need to
    1) upgrade the IDL as it all starts with stopping the run
    2) figure out how to get more pressure on the QB

work front to back

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by blueman View Post

I call bullshit. What wins is scoring points, we had Oline breakdowns, bad passes, drops all over the place. If stats were all we’d still be in it, right? Every loss, we left points on the field. We need those points, we need players who can get us those points, if we had them the Raiders would be done. Upgrade.
    We scored plenty. Defense wins championships.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-12-2022, 07:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by blueman View Post

I call bullshit. What wins is scoring points, we had Oline breakdowns, bad passes, drops all over the place. If stats were all we’d still be in it, right? Every loss, we left points on the field. We need those points, we need players who can get us those points, if we had them the Raiders would be done. Upgrade.
    The Chargers were the No. 5 scoring offense in the league, with 474 points - 27.9 pts per game. The top scoring team in the NFL was the Cowboys - 31.2 pts per game. The Bucs were 2nd - 30.1. The Bills (28.4) and the Chiefs (28.2) were Nos. 3 & 4. The Chargers scored more points that the Packers, Bengals, Rams, Patriots, Titans and Cardinals. Every team in the top 12 in scoring is in the playoffs, except the Chargers.

Now let's look at the defense. It was 29th, tied with the Falcons, in most points allowed per game - 27. Only the Lions (27.5) and NY Jets (29.6) were worse.

The offense is top 5 in scoring - it scored more points than either of the top 2 seeds. The defense is 29th worst out of 32 teams in points allowed.. You tell me where the upgrade is needed.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    One other thing about that last - Jefferson, Chase, Deebo are on that -- means a lot of passes going their way too
    Doesn't mean MW and KA don't need to tighten that shit up

Leave a comment:

• like54ninjas
    replied
    Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

They've misused him. He's a part time running back plus receiving back somewhat like eckler. He's no where fast enough to be a consistent receiver.

:2cents:
    4.47 isn’t fast enough?
    You know he and Deebo had almost identical speed/explosion metrics with Joe being an 1’’ taller / 10# heavier?

Leave a comment:

• NoMoreChillies
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Part of me thinks its time to keep MW and let Allen go

who had more drops this year? Allen or MW

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
    I think Guyton and the other young guy could easily take his place. He is just too big. Look at the best receivers in the league...all around 200 or so 6 ft. Thats all you need. Jerry Rice size.

Now...make Mike Williams into a TE...I think he would be good there...if he could stay healthy. Which is another issue with him.

I often think...instead of him...would could have drafted Christian McCaffrey who was available at that slot. Rivers would have killed with that guy.
    Lol, Lord Ive heard it all on MW now. Simply NOT going to happen. He is too fucking big? Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones say GTFOH....to name a couple.

McCaffrey has been hurt for 2 years now. Holy shit just think of the flack he would catch here.

MW missed 1 game last year and part of another...... missed 3 games the last 3 seasons and many here like you say he is injured too much.

McCaffrey would get stoned here.
    He was great for few seasons but he is a smaller RB who got used too much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X