X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, Lord Ive heard it all on MW now. Simply NOT going to happen. He is too fucking big? Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones say GTFOH....to name a couple.

McCaffrey has been hurt for 2 years now. Holy shit just think of the flack he would catch here.

MW missed 1 game last year and part of another...... missed 3 games the last 3 seasons and many here like you say he is injured too much.

McCaffrey would get stoned here.
    He was great for few seasons but he is a smaller RB who got used too much.
    I stand by my assertion he is too big. Meaning only his size slows him down. Does he get some jump balls? For sure...but so do a lot smaller guys...IMO he just has not lived up to his draft position. He is not a premier receiver because he disappears for games at a time....for the right price sure keep him. He is a good guy. Larry Fitzgerald is a hall of famer so comparison is bogus. Williams will never be that.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Williams is a reliable, clutch receiver. It’s obvious Herbert trusts him. Telesco needs to resign Williams and stop letting good players go to other teams and excel.

Is Williams perfect and injury risk free? No. Nobody is.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post

I stand by my assertion he is too big. Meaning only his size slows him down. Does he get some jump balls? For sure...but so do a lot smaller guys...IMO he just has not lived up to his draft position. He is not a premier receiver because he disappears for games at a time....for the right price sure keep him. He is a good guy. Larry Fitzgerald is a hall of famer so comparison is bogus. Williams will never be that.
        I'm sorry, but asserting Mike Williams is "too big" is crazy. He had 1,146 yds receiving and scored 9 TDs in 2021. Williams is 6-3.5 and 218 lbs. He is exactly the same size as Cincinnati's outstanding WR Tee Higgins. Was Vincent Jackson (RIP) too big? He was an 6-5 and 230 lbs. Mike Williams was also faster on the field with the ball in his hands than his 40-time. Remember the catch and run for a TD in the Pitt game? He out ran everybody in the Steeler's secondary to get into the end zone. There were other instances this season when after he made the catch and had the ball in his hands, he outran DBs. WRs who can put up numbers like MW did this season don't grow on trees. We've got him, don't let him go.

BTW, Mike Williams and Keenan Allen (1.138) finished 11th and 12th in receiving yards this season. No other team had two receivers in the top 12, not even factoring in tight ends. This is why I advocate retaining Mike Williams. When you have a WR duo that are both in the top 12, you don't break it up. It definitely aint broke, let's not fix it.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
          Williams is a reliable, clutch receiver. It’s obvious Herbert trusts him. Telesco needs to resign Williams and stop letting good players go to other teams and excel.

This right here, very well stated.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Chargers were the No. 5 scoring offense in the league, with 474 points - 27.9 pts per game. The top scoring team in the NFL was the Cowboys - 31.2 pts per game. The Bucs were 2nd - 30.1. The Bills (28.4) and the Chiefs (28.2) were Nos. 3 & 4. The Chargers scored more points that the Packers, Bengals, Rams, Patriots, Titans and Cardinals. Every team in the top 12 in scoring is in the playoffs, except the Chargers.

Now let's look at the defense. It was 29th, tied with the Falcons, in most points allowed per game - 27. Only the Lions (27.5) and NY Jets (29.6) were worse.

The offense is top 5 in scoring - it scored more points than either of the top 2 seeds. The defense is 29th worst out of 32 teams in points allowed.. You tell me where the upgrade is needed.
            Watching the games, including the last one, there were mistakes everywhere, a true team loss. I’m all for fixing the D (upgrade Murray and Tillery’s snaps to start with), but also improve the O (right side of the line, also a receiving threat that can reliably take the top of a D, we don’t really have anybody who does that IMHO).

D issues aside, glad our O scored so many points, just sucks they left so many on the field game after game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

But what about the games when he totally just disappears..I just don't get that. Anyway...we always let guys go when they want too much money. After all...we are not the Rams...

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post

But what about the games when he totally just disappears..I just don't get that. Anyway...we always let guys go when they want too much money. After all...we are not the Rams...
                I don't know if he disappears. I think what happened is after he was having a bunch of success catching long passes and scoring TDs, opposing DCs schemed to take him away with double teams.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Must re-sign the man:

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                    Must re-sign the man:

I was just thinking this
                    I got so caught up with Herbert's thor-like performance and while watching the replay, realized that while Mike wasn't perfect, he can be trusted to give his 100% when it matters
                    That combined with what he CAN do, makes it hard for me to say anything other than, pay the man, he and Herbert are now a known working combination
                    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                      Must re-sign the man:

Hopefully Tom Telesco listens to what his coach as to say. Mike Williams was absolutely epic in that game. I've always liked Mike Williams since he was drafted, but I felt he did not live up to his No. 7 draft slot. But over the past few seasons he did show me he is one of the biggest studs at WR in the NFL, even if he was not catching a lot of passes. Then this year he absolutely proved himself. Some will say it's because it is his contract year, so he showed up. I think that attitude is a bit cynical. I think it has more to do with an offensive system and OC who understood how to use him. With MW, KA, Palmer and Guyton, the Chargers have one of the best WR corps in the league. It is a position group that is already set and there is familiarity with Herbert. Why break that up? Keep it intact, don't create another hole that needs to be filled, there are other areas of the roster where that attention is needed.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I was just thinking this
                        I got so caught up with Herbert's thor-like performance and while watching the replay, realized that while Mike wasn't perfect, he can be trusted to give his 100% when it matters
                        That combined with what he CAN do, makes it hard for me to say anything other than, pay the man, he and Herbert are now a known working combination
                        I still think it has to be reasonable. Something like 68-70/4. And I get the AAV doesn't equal the cap. I don't franchise him though. I like him but it has to be about the body of work. He also dropped at least 3 if not four passes inside the 5 yard line this year.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Hopefully Tom Telesco listens to what his coach as to say. Mike Williams was absolutely epic in that game. I've always liked Mike Williams since he was drafted, but I felt he did not live up to his No. 7 draft slot. But over the past few seasons he did show me he is one of the biggest studs at WR in the NFL, even if he was not catching a lot of passes. Then this year he absolutely proved himself. Some will say it's because it is his contract year, so he showed up. I think that attitude is a bit cynical. I think it has more to do with an offensive system and OC who understood how to use him. With MW, KA, Palmer and Guyton, the Chargers have one of the best WR corps in the league. It is a position group that is already set and there is familiarity with Herbert. Why break that up? Keep it intact, don't create another hole that needs to be filled, there are other areas of the roster where that attention is needed.
                          9-8. With five one-score losses. And three multiple-score embarrassing losses.

That’s not something you stand pat on and hope for the best. Fix the OL right side, bring in more skill position talent. We can do these things and still have plenty FA money/draft picks to bolster our ailing D. As good as our O is, it’s not fully weaponized IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                          X