• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Another wishy washy answer.
    Before the Raider game you're for letting them test the market. After the game you said you think we should keep him and let Keenan go.

Now you're back to letting him test the market.

You change your mind weekly. You are a very undecided and seems you go by weekly performances.

Like if Campbell had a pass breakup and a INT you would want to keep him but he has sucked 85% of the time and is 29. I know you've never said that, I'm just saying that seems to be how you operate.

I think they should resign him and believe they will.

And it would be much better to do a 4-year contract instead of franchising because he's not going to make 19 million a year on a contract.
    Maybe so - maybe let the emotion of one game get in the way - but I have been pretty clear on this with MIke Williams

1) Do not Franchise

2) Let him Test Free agency to see what the market price is for Mike Williams as only bidding against themselves

3) If you do want him back, sign him longer term and not this dance about one year at a time

thats BS about Campbell - - I wanted to sign Breshaun Breeland over watching that dude play another effing game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We have cap space, but would you rather spend money on a premium TE or a premium DT?
      Anderson Parham and McKitty >>> Tillery, Fehoko, GAziano

its a no brainer - defense starts run up the middle

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Busy signing Linsley, Feiler and Oday to address the weakest part of the roster after last season? HH was one of my favorite Chargers, but was often injured here and TE was not the biggest need on the team last offseason. Adding Cook who is familiar with the offense Lombardi implemented on a one year contract made sense at the time. Now there are plenty of other things to criticize TT for, but resigning HH was probably not the best use of money. As for TE next year, McKitty seemed to be slowly coming on and if Parham comes back 100% from his concussion, the trio of Parham, McKitty and Anderson is not a bad TE group. It's would not have an elite TE like Kelce or Kittle but would the team be better off spending money on the D instead of TE?
        They could have signed HH. They had the money, I think this was a really bad blunder by TT.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Both
          Exactly, this was not a binary choice. We could have gotten the seasoned curly fries and the large coke. It was not one or the other.

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'm of two minds on this. I agree with FoutsFan that letting Henry go was a mistake. Hunter seemed to have overcome his injury prone-ness. He's a good red zone target - 9 TDs this season. But he's gone, and agreeing that Cook should not be brought back, I don't know that to do about TE. We assume Parham is returning, but we don't know for sure, what his status is. Plus I don't see Parham as a No. 1 TE, but as a really good complimentary piece. McKitty showed some flashes later in the season, and he also got some notice for his blocking. But is he going to develop into a legit receiving threat at TE? I thought I read somewhere he was a WR originally, so maybe he can develop. Assuming the WR corps remains intact with KA/MW/JP/JG, and with a top drawer receiver out of the backfield in Ekeler, how bad is the need for a top caliber receiving TE? I don't know.
            Agree that we have a well rounded TE room. I am a huge Parham fan but I do not know if he is ready to or can be the #1 TE. McKitten showed a little last year but will he be the #1 TE next year? Probably not. Anderson is great with his ability to line up as FB and TE and he brings a lot of versatility to the group, but again is he the #1 TE? Probably not. A solid group with a lot of different skill sets but no real dominant player.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I'm in the camp of resigning Mike Williams and even considering drafting another WR in the first or second round. Keenan Allen turns 30 in March, and the drops are a major concern. Looking ahead, there is a very real chance he is gone in a year or two. After next season, he has a cap number of 21.7M with 5.4M of dead money. Thus, cutting him frees up 16.3M of cap space. After that season (going into 2024), he has a cap number of 25.8M, 2.7M in dead money, and thus cutting him saves 23.1M in cap space. A Chargers team without Keenan Allen is likely coming before Herbert gets his extension, and if Allen stays, it will be at a greatly reduced number.

So, with that in mind, I think it makes sense to resign Mike Williams, but negotiate with the threat of franchising him.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                I'm in the camp of resigning Mike Williams and even considering drafting another WR in the first or second round. Keenan Allen turns 30 in March, and the drops are a major concern. Looking ahead, there is a very real chance he is gone in a year or two. After next season, he has a cap number of 21.7M with 5.4M of dead money. Thus, cutting him frees up 16.3M of cap space. After that season (going into 2024), he has a cap number of 25.8M, 2.7M in dead money, and thus cutting him saves 23.1M in cap space. A Chargers team without Keenan Allen is likely coming before Herbert gets his extension, and if Allen stays, it will be at a greatly reduced number.

So, with that in mind, I think it makes sense to resign Mike Williams, but negotiate with the threat of franchising him.
                It's a plan. I'm in!

:coffee:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ScotttheRock
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Honestly don't really care if they sign him or not. Herbert makes any talented WR better. Rivers did this as well. And yes, Allen will be gone in a year or two. These guys will just cost too much. We need a defense and we need it now. Going to be a lot of changes on the D side. I say spend $ on the D.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

It's a plan. I'm in!

:coffee:
                    Early take: sign Williams, draft Williams. Give Herbie weapons.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Oklahoma
                      • Send PM

Give me DT, DE/LB, RT, CB, and backup RB. Wouldn't give big game no show Mike more than 10 mil a year.
                      Resign everyone not named Mike Will and Jared Cook (some at back up money Linval and Chris Harris). Ekeler more valuable at 6 mil per. Can't lead the league in overpaying WRs.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                        Give me DT, DE/LB, RT, CB, and backup RB. Wouldn't give big game no show Mike more than 10 mil a year.
                        Resign everyone not named Mike Will and Jared Cook (some at back up money Linval and Chris Harris). Ekeler more valuable at 6 mil per. Can't lead the league in overpaying WRs.
                        He's not gonna sign for $10 mil a year. why should he when he can get substantially more. After $15 mil though I think it might be time to move on.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Oklahoma
                          • Send PM

Then let someone else overpay, keeping him would remind me of Air Coryell's Chargers, Marino's Dolphins, and Elway's Broncos pre Terrell Davis. Great passing game but not good enough in the trenches/running game and overall defense to get it done.
                          The Buccaneers did nothing with Vincent Jackson(defense and Brady won their Super Bowls) The Packers did nothing with John Jefferson (Favre/Rodgers and defense won their Super Bowls), 2 each). Chiefs have won 1 with their great WRs and TE and I think they won't win another anytime soon.
                          Receivers don't make the running game go, only the passing game.
                          The 49ers had the GOAT but win no SBs without HOF QBs, great O Lines and defenses (all more important than one player Jerry Rice).

Comment

Working...
                          X