• Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Because we needed a WR.
    Hill is nuttin to speak. I never thought Palmer was to replace MW and he won't replace his playmaking ability.

If we resign MW we won't need to draft another WR unless somebody falls that is a good value. But if Reed can be healthy I think we are set.
    Palmer to replace MW was the general consensus when he was drafted, I don't know if that's what TT had in mind. But resigning MW, and with Palmer No. 3 and Guyton No. 4, I think it would be one of the better WR quartets in the league. (Reed developing into a viable WR would be icing on the cake.) But when you are talking about the Chargers' passing attack and WRs, you also have to factor in Ekeler, who is a big part of the passing game. He led the league in receiving yds (647) and TDs (8) by an RB. That's more production than a lot of No.2 WRs. So when you factor in Ekeler, I don't know if there is a better set of receivers in the league for any QB. (And that is without factoring in any TE; but the Chargers don't have a dynamic receiving threat at TE right now.)

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      I hear you boltjolt, but we need more than "set at WR"

arms race in AFCW
      Herbert is not a qb that will rely on a dominant run game and/or awesome tight end like over half the top 15 qbs do
      we have a chance to be truly explosive with Herbert, as in, 5 wr sets ala New England 2007 record setting explosive
      This offense will give us a chance in any game the defense doesn't show up or is plain banged up
      WR is akin to OL imo because if someone is open, Herbert will find him and deliver on time
      it's almost like cheating
      Again, a very New England approach haha
      It would be cool: like trying to get double dates at a club accompanied by your friend with the mouth sores.

The 2007 Pats had a good defense.

Comment

• RollingThunder
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I really like MW's metrics and some of his games are awesome but he just seems too inconsistent from game to game. I'm on the fence on this.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
          I really like MW's metrics and some of his games are awesome but he just seems too inconsistent from game to game. I'm on the fence on this.
          His chemistry with Herbert is undeniable. Palmer can’t hold Williams jock and a draft pick could end up a bust.

Unless you want to let Williams walk and replace him with a stud WR free agent, I say pay the man.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Gotta pay Williams. He will want the long term deal. So the threat of the franchise tag should be enough to get the deal done. He’s got the chemistry with Herbert, so he’s probably worth more to us than another team. I liked what I saw from Palmer down the stretch. I look at Palmer and see a guy who is more likely to replace KA in a couple years.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
              Palmer can’t hold Williams jock and a draft pick could end up a bust.
              Seriously?

Joshua Palmer's rookie season: 33 rec 353 yds 4 TDs
              Mike Williams rookie season: 11 rec 95 yds 0 TDs

MW is the one who looked like a bust after his rookie season.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Seriously?

To be fair to Williams, wasn't he injured for a good portion of his rookie season?

And doesn't anybody but me like Allen Robinson (Chicago Bears) if we can't re-sign MW?

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

Seriously?

Williams was injured his entire rookie season and tried to play through it when he could, but was very limited, so the comparison you are making seems like a very bad one to me.

Palmer is not a bust, but he is also nothing special as a WR. He has no elite traits to offer unlike Williams, who has a big body and is among the best at making contested catches.

What I have read and heard strongly suggests that Palmer has a great work ethic, but a player cannot develop abilities that he just does not have. We need to accept that Palmer is a career reserve. On his best day, he will never be capable of fully replacing Williams.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    I hear you boltjolt, but we need more than "set at WR"

arms race in AFCW
                    Herbert is not a qb that will rely on a dominant run game and/or awesome tight end like over half the top 15 qbs do
                    we have a chance to be truly explosive with Herbert, as in, 5 wr sets ala New England 2007 record setting explosive
                    This offense will give us a chance in any game the defense doesn't show up or is plain banged up
                    WR is akin to OL imo because if someone is open, Herbert will find him and deliver on time
                    it's almost like cheating
                    Again, a very New England approach haha
                    I'm amazed everybody would rather just prop up the offense and don't give a shit about the defense.
                    Our offense is good enough,our defense is horseshit

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm amazed everybody would rather just prop up the offense and don't give a shit about the defense.
                      I do not think anyone believes that we should stand pat on defense.

But I also think that we should not miss our opportunity to become the best offense in the league, which is well within our ability with Herbert as our QB.

We should be able to improve on both sides of the ball and at punter as well.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Defense first.
                        just think we can also have an elite WR corp
                        At least be opportunistic if thats the way the draft falls
                        My point is that elite WRs can be as valuable as elite OL considering Herbert's ability to deliver
                        Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                          San Diego Native
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Farmington, NM
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Seriously?

For purposes of this thread, the question is not who was the better receiver in his rookie season? The question is, which receiver will help the Chargers win the most games in 2022? Between Palmer, Williams, or a Draft pick, the answer to me is, without question, Big Mike.

Fortunately it isn't an OR question. It is an AND question. Which combination of receivers will help the Chargers win the most games in 2022? Allen, Palmer, Guyton, (Ekeler), and ...?

I know some want Davante Adams, but if he makes it to Free Agency, we would have to compete with all other teams for his services while simultaneously seeking the services of players at other positions of need (DT, Edge, RT, CB, IOL, etc). To be truthful, I don't think we would have much of a chance of signing him anyway. Adams is going to stay in GB or go wherever Rodgers goes.

Until free agency begins in mid-March, we have exclusive negotiating rights with Mike Williams. At this exact moment we could be (and I hope we are) negotiating without competition and without distraction. We could give Big Mike the contract he deserves for the services we desperately need and then, in March, focus on OTHER needs without worrying about the WR position.

Comment

Working...
                          X