• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RollingThunder
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Williams was injured his entire rookie season and tried to play through it when he could, but was very limited, so the comparison you are making seems like a very bad one to me.

Palmer is not a bust, but he is also nothing special as a WR. He has no elite traits to offer unlike Williams, who has a big body and is among the best at making contested catches.

What I have read and heard strongly suggests that Palmer has a great work ethic, but a player cannot develop abilities that he just does not have. We need to accept that Palmer is a career reserve. On his best day, he will never be capable of fully replacing Williams.

No one should be comparing Palmer to MW at this point but he is already a much better and more relaible receiver than Jaylen Guyton and will only get better. For a rookie and a 3rd round pick, not bad.

If we don't sign MW I would expect us to go after another receiver on the market. To those of you that say MW clicks with Herbert, I'd say Herbert can click with anyone and has shown it.

Once again, I still have concerns with how often MW disappears completely from games. If that wasn't the case, I'd be 100% on board. The guy has all the talent in the world but he needs to bring it every game and I just haven't seen that.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Williams was injured his entire rookie season and tried to play through it when he could, but was very limited, so the comparison you are making seems like a very bad one to me.

Palmer is not a bust, but he is also nothing special as a WR. He has no elite traits to offer unlike Williams, who has a big body and is among the best at making contested catches.

What I have read and heard strongly suggests that Palmer has a great work ethic, but a player cannot develop abilities that he just does not have. We need to accept that Palmer is a career reserve. On his best day, he will never be capable of fully replacing Williams.
      Why do we accept that Palmer is a career reserve? I genuinely think the plan is for him to replace Keenan Allen. And I’m really glad that he has a chance to learn under Allen. I’m not trying to push Allen out the door, but he’s about to be 30. They have very similar body types and size, neither is particularly fast, both have good hands (at least that used to be true of KA), and if you look at their production on a per target basis it’s strikingly similar.

Palmer caught 33 passes on 49 targets for 353 yard.
      That’s a catch rate of 67.3%, 10.7 yards per reception, 7.2 yards per target.

Allen caught 106 passes on 157 targets for 1138 yards.
      That’s a catch rate of 67.5%, 10.7 yards per reception, 7.2 yards per target.

I’m not saying Palmer is ready to step in and replace KA and give us his full production, but I do think the makings of a solid starting WR are there with Palmer. I keep hearing how the guy is a really hard worker and always wanting to get extra time with Herbert.

Now, this is the thread dedicated to the topic of resigning Mike Williams, so I will say that I don’t think Palmer has much impact on whether or not to resign Williams. I remain firmly in the camp of getting him resigned to a multi year deal unless he’s wanting 18+ a year and then we just franchise him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Why do we accept that Palmer is a career reserve? I genuinely think the plan is for him to replace Keenan Allen. And I’m really glad that he has a chance to learn under Allen. I’m not trying to push Allen out the door, but he’s about to be 30. They have very similar body types and size, neither is particularly fast, both have good hands (at least that used to be true of KA), and if you look at their production on a per target basis it’s strikingly similar.

I’m not saying Palmer is ready to step in and replace KA and give us his full production, but I do think the makings of a solid starting WR are there with Palmer. I keep hearing how the guy is a really hard worker and always wanting to get extra time with Herbert.

Now, this is the thread dedicated to the topic of resigning Mike Williams, so I will say that I don’t think Palmer has much impact on whether or not to resign Williams. I remain firmly in the camp of getting him resigned to a multi year deal unless he’s wanting 18+ a year and then we just franchise him.
        The franchise tag is pretty much 18m but signing to a long term deal creates more cap flexibility. I think the Chargers can keep KA, continue to allow Palmer to get better and sign MW to a long term deal. Maybe after the 2022 season, Allens contract is looked at to reduce because the Williams contract will increase.

So right now for 2022
        Allen counts 19.2
        Palmer counts 1.1
        And lets say you get Williams signed long term but his cap hit is 10.7
        That is a total of $31m of cap space - forget AAV - just cap space

So in 2023
        Palmer counts probably 1.5m
        Allen maybe takes a bit less - say he saves you $2m
        Williams gets a bit more - his cap increases by $4

The combined cap hit might be 33.5 to 34m - but manageable

This could be one way to work the cap for the three Wide Receivers if the Chargers decided to give me a call

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Because Chainy don't like him and didn't like the pick so he has his agenda.
          IMO Palmer was not drafted to replace Keenan or MW. He was just drafted as we needed a WR as I guess they didn't think too highly of Hill or TBilly though he did do pretty well for us. Reed is TBD.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-22-2022, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Because Chainy don't like him and didn't like the pick so he has his agenda.
            IMO Palmer was not drafted to replace Keenan or MW. He was just drafted as we needed a WR as I guess they didn't think too highly of TBilly.or Hill. Reed is TBD though he did do well for us.
            Yep, we cut his favorite player in Johnson and drafted Palmer so therefore Palmer must be denigrated at every chance.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The franchise tag is pretty much 18m but signing to a long term deal creates more cap flexibility. I think the Chargers can keep KA, continue to allow Palmer to get better and sign MW to a long term deal. Maybe after the 2022 season, Allens contract is looked at to reduce because the Williams contract will increase.

So right now for 2022
              Allen counts 19.2
              Palmer counts 1.1
              And lets say you get Williams signed long term but his cap hit is 10.7
              That is a total of $31m of cap space - forget AAV - just cap space

So in 2023
              Palmer counts probably 1.5m
              Allen maybe takes a bit less - say he saves you $2m
              Williams gets a bit more - his cap increases by $4

The combined cap hit might be 33.5 to 34m - but manageable

This could be one way to work the cap for the three Wide Receivers if the Chargers decided to give me a call
              The point being, we should be looking to bring back MW. By the time he gets more expensive, we will be looking to renegotiate or move on from KA. And while some want to franchise him, remember that contracts are not guaranteed. Write the contract such that there is a decent sized roster bonus going into year 3. If he’s a complete bust after getting big money, cut ties. If he’s kicking ass and a top 10 WR, look to renegotiate KA or cut ties.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

The point being, we should be looking to bring back MW. By the time he gets more expensive, we will be looking to renegotiate or move on from KA. And while some want to franchise him, remember that contracts are not guaranteed. Write the contract such that there is a decent sized roster bonus going into year 3. If he’s a complete bust after getting big money, cut ties. If he’s kicking ass and a top 10 WR, look to renegotiate KA or cut ties.
                He made 15.7 mil this year. Staley says MW is a hard worker and gives 100%
                We don't have to worry about that with him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

exactly - when MW starts making bigger money; KA will probably start making lesser money

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The NFL's salary cap for 2022 will rise to $208.2 million, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, expanding by $25.7 million compared to this season. That is the maximum amount agreed upon by the NFL and NFL Players Association in May.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange.../market-value/

Mike Will has a projection of $16.6M per year. By Spotrac's estimation.

Those are the facts, now from a book-keeping stand-point - always the least exciting point - is there a better reason to do the deal in the new year, when the cap will rise by $25.7 million, even though the Chargers are in good financial shape, at the current moment. Reports vary as to the Chargers being #2 and #1 in the league in cap-shape.

The point I am making is that perhaps that Ed McGuire has suggested that the best time to offer Mike Will a new deal is Fiscal Year 2022, and it is simply a financial decision in nature.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm amazed everybody would rather just prop up the offense and don't give a shit about the defense.
                      Our offense is good enough,our defense is horseshit
                      Not an either or. Fix both as best as the team can. We have money + picks to really improve the team in so many problem areas.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

You must be Riverwalk too.

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The one thing about Bulaga - he is due a roster bonus on the 3rd day of the new football calendar in the amount of $2.5m

So unless they push that back - he is likely to be released. He might even retire
                          Telesco has faith on him...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡