First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Because Chainy don't like him and didn't like the pick so he has his agenda.
    IMO Palmer was not drafted to replace Keenan or MW. He was just drafted as we needed a WR as I guess they didn't think too highly of TBilly.or Hill. Reed is TBD though he did do well for us.
    Yep, we cut his favorite player in Johnson and drafted Palmer so therefore Palmer must be denigrated at every chance.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Why do we accept that Palmer is a career reserve? I genuinely think the plan is for him to replace Keenan Allen. And I’m really glad that he has a chance to learn under Allen. I’m not trying to push Allen out the door, but he’s about to be 30. They have very similar body types and size, neither is particularly fast, both have good hands (at least that used to be true of KA), and if you look at their production on a per target basis it’s strikingly similar.

Palmer caught 33 passes on 49 targets for 353 yard.
    That’s a catch rate of 67.3%, 10.7 yards per reception, 7.2 yards per target.

Allen caught 106 passes on 157 targets for 1138 yards.
    That’s a catch rate of 67.5%, 10.7 yards per reception, 7.2 yards per target.

I’m not saying Palmer is ready to step in and replace KA and give us his full production, but I do think the makings of a solid starting WR are there with Palmer. I keep hearing how the guy is a really hard worker and always wanting to get extra time with Herbert.

Now, this is the thread dedicated to the topic of resigning Mike Williams, so I will say that I don’t think Palmer has much impact on whether or not to resign Williams. I remain firmly in the camp of getting him resigned to a multi year deal unless he’s wanting 18+ a year and then we just franchise him.
    Because Chainy don't like him and didn't like the pick so he has his agenda.
    IMO Palmer was not drafted to replace Keenan or MW. He was just drafted as we needed a WR as I guess they didn't think too highly of Hill or TBilly though he did do pretty well for us. Reed is TBD.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-22-2022, 08:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Why do we accept that Palmer is a career reserve? I genuinely think the plan is for him to replace Keenan Allen. And I’m really glad that he has a chance to learn under Allen. I’m not trying to push Allen out the door, but he’s about to be 30. They have very similar body types and size, neither is particularly fast, both have good hands (at least that used to be true of KA), and if you look at their production on a per target basis it’s strikingly similar.

I’m not saying Palmer is ready to step in and replace KA and give us his full production, but I do think the makings of a solid starting WR are there with Palmer. I keep hearing how the guy is a really hard worker and always wanting to get extra time with Herbert.

Now, this is the thread dedicated to the topic of resigning Mike Williams, so I will say that I don’t think Palmer has much impact on whether or not to resign Williams. I remain firmly in the camp of getting him resigned to a multi year deal unless he’s wanting 18+ a year and then we just franchise him.
    The franchise tag is pretty much 18m but signing to a long term deal creates more cap flexibility. I think the Chargers can keep KA, continue to allow Palmer to get better and sign MW to a long term deal. Maybe after the 2022 season, Allens contract is looked at to reduce because the Williams contract will increase.

So right now for 2022
    Allen counts 19.2
    Palmer counts 1.1
    And lets say you get Williams signed long term but his cap hit is 10.7
    That is a total of $31m of cap space - forget AAV - just cap space

So in 2023
    Palmer counts probably 1.5m
    Allen maybe takes a bit less - say he saves you $2m
    Williams gets a bit more - his cap increases by $4

The combined cap hit might be 33.5 to 34m - but manageable

This could be one way to work the cap for the three Wide Receivers if the Chargers decided to give me a call

Leave a comment:

• Parcells
    replied
    Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Williams was injured his entire rookie season and tried to play through it when he could, but was very limited, so the comparison you are making seems like a very bad one to me.

Palmer is not a bust, but he is also nothing special as a WR. He has no elite traits to offer unlike Williams, who has a big body and is among the best at making contested catches.

What I have read and heard strongly suggests that Palmer has a great work ethic, but a player cannot develop abilities that he just does not have. We need to accept that Palmer is a career reserve. On his best day, he will never be capable of fully replacing Williams.

Leave a comment:

• RollingThunder
    replied
    Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Williams was injured his entire rookie season and tried to play through it when he could, but was very limited, so the comparison you are making seems like a very bad one to me.

Palmer is not a bust, but he is also nothing special as a WR. He has no elite traits to offer unlike Williams, who has a big body and is among the best at making contested catches.

What I have read and heard strongly suggests that Palmer has a great work ethic, but a player cannot develop abilities that he just does not have. We need to accept that Palmer is a career reserve. On his best day, he will never be capable of fully replacing Williams.

No one should be comparing Palmer to MW at this point but he is already a much better and more relaible receiver than Jaylen Guyton and will only get better. For a rookie and a 3rd round pick, not bad.

If we don't sign MW I would expect us to go after another receiver on the market. To those of you that say MW clicks with Herbert, I'd say Herbert can click with anyone and has shown it.

Once again, I still have concerns with how often MW disappears completely from games. If that wasn't the case, I'd be 100% on board. The guy has all the talent in the world but he needs to bring it every game and I just haven't seen that.

Leave a comment:

• FarAwayBoltFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

Seriously?

Joshua Palmer's rookie season: 33 rec 353 yds 4 TDs
    Mike Williams rookie season: 11 rec 95 yds 0 TDs

MW is the one who looked like a bust after his rookie season.
    For purposes of this thread, the question is not who was the better receiver in his rookie season? The question is, which receiver will help the Chargers win the most games in 2022? Between Palmer, Williams, or a Draft pick, the answer to me is, without question, Big Mike.

Fortunately it isn't an OR question. It is an AND question. Which combination of receivers will help the Chargers win the most games in 2022? Allen, Palmer, Guyton, (Ekeler), and ...?

I know some want Davante Adams, but if he makes it to Free Agency, we would have to compete with all other teams for his services while simultaneously seeking the services of players at other positions of need (DT, Edge, RT, CB, IOL, etc). To be truthful, I don't think we would have much of a chance of signing him anyway. Adams is going to stay in GB or go wherever Rodgers goes.

Until free agency begins in mid-March, we have exclusive negotiating rights with Mike Williams. At this exact moment we could be (and I hope we are) negotiating without competition and without distraction. We could give Big Mike the contract he deserves for the services we desperately need and then, in March, focus on OTHER needs without worrying about the WR position.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied

I'm amazed everybody would rather just prop up the offense and don't give a shit about the defense.
    Our offense is good enough,our defense is horseshit
    Defense first.
    just think we can also have an elite WR corp
    At least be opportunistic if thats the way the draft falls
    My point is that elite WRs can be as valuable as elite OL considering Herbert's ability to deliver

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm amazed everybody would rather just prop up the offense and don't give a shit about the defense.
    I do not think anyone believes that we should stand pat on defense.

But I also think that we should not miss our opportunity to become the best offense in the league, which is well within our ability with Herbert as our QB.

We should be able to improve on both sides of the ball and at punter as well.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    I hear you boltjolt, but we need more than "set at WR"

arms race in AFCW
    Herbert is not a qb that will rely on a dominant run game and/or awesome tight end like over half the top 15 qbs do
    we have a chance to be truly explosive with Herbert, as in, 5 wr sets ala New England 2007 record setting explosive
    This offense will give us a chance in any game the defense doesn't show up or is plain banged up
    WR is akin to OL imo because if someone is open, Herbert will find him and deliver on time
    it's almost like cheating
    Again, a very New England approach haha

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Seriously?

Leave a comment:

• QSmokey
    replied

Seriously?

To be fair to Williams, wasn't he injured for a good portion of his rookie season?

And doesn't anybody but me like Allen Robinson (Chicago Bears) if we can't re-sign MW?

Leave a comment:

• Velo
    replied
    Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Palmer can’t hold Williams jock and a draft pick could end up a bust.
    Seriously?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍