Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I was in the dump MW boat, myself. A little premature, in retrospect. My biggest concern is he suddenly underperforms after getting a new, long-term, juicy contract. Have too many bad memories regarding players doing this. I'm hoping he gets a long-term deal and rewards us for years to come. He is looking like the beast TT was hoping for when they drafted him.
    I really don't see that from Mike Will, I think he really enjoys the game. I think he's got a great attitude (you always see him smiling) and even though he has underperformed for whatever reason, I think the effort has always been there. I don't think a new contract will change that. I think the Chargers are a winning football team now, and he is a big reason why, and he is going to want to be a part of that.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I was in the dump MW boat, myself. A little premature, in retrospect. My biggest concern is he suddenly underperforms after getting a new, long-term, juicy contract. Have too many bad memories regarding players doing this. I'm hoping he gets a long-term deal and rewards us for years to come. He is looking like the beast TT was hoping for when they drafted him.
      That's always going to be an issue. No way around that.

It is less likely when you pay your own players, as opposed to brining in players from the outside and giving them big money. Paying your own players is significantly less risky then signing free agents, but both can and do backfire.

The theory is that if you have your own players, and keep them in the same environment and habits in which they develop in, they will keep doing what they did before. New FA from other teams have to re-establish themselves with a new franchise, develop new habits and it rarely works out.

But much of that is because once you give a player a bunch of money, they get the mental message that they have "arrived" and suddenly they lose the motivation that got them there. And that is a problem no matter who/where they get their money. Once they get paid, you get a different player. Sometimes for the better, but mostly not.

The point is, one way or another, even if Palmer and/or Guyton develop, we need 3 offensive weapons for Herbert. So, it is not a matter of just replacing Williams. The offense is not where we need it to be. It's not awful, but it is not in KC class either. On top of that, we are still building the OL, so we have other holes to continue filling, not to mention D and ST.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That's always going to be an issue. No way around that.

It is less likely when you pay your own players, as opposed to brining in players from the outside and giving them big money. Paying your own players is significantly less risky then signing free agents, but both can and do backfire.

The theory is that if you have your own players, and keep them in the same environment and habits in which they develop in, they will keep doing what they did before. New FA from other teams have to re-establish themselves with a new franchise, develop new habits and it rarely works out.

But much of that is because once you give a player a bunch of money, they get the mental message that they have "arrived" and suddenly they lose the motivation that got them there. And that is a problem no matter who/where they get their money. Once they get paid, you get a different player. Sometimes for the better, but mostly not.

The point is, one way or another, even if Palmer and/or Guyton develop, we need 3 offensive weapons for Herbert. So, it is not a matter of just replacing Williams. The offense is not where we need it to be. It's not awful, but it is not in KC class either. On top of that, we are still building the OL, so we have other holes to continue filling, not to mention D and ST.
        Re the final graph, two things come to mind:

1. Jared Cook is not playing to the level I expected from him, which may or many not help explain why the offense is not there yet. He *should* be that third weapons you speak of. But it is early and I still expect him to become a factor in the offense.

2. The decision to waive Tyron Johnson...he also could be that third weapon. I like Guyton, but he is not the player Johnson was paired with Herbert. Johnson had better hands, for one. I just think he was the gritter of the two players. Josh Palmer is going to take some time develop. In TJ, we had a WR who was ready to compete in the NFL and had shown he was able to.

Comment

• cmplxgal
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • New Jersey
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          The decision to waive Tyron Johnson...he also could be that third weapon.

I agree. The Chargers surprisingly don't have a dependable third WR right now. Guyton has been a disappointment, Palmer looked great in the preseason but hasn't had many opportunities in the real season, and they let go of Tyron. I think Popper was wrong in saying that Guyton is a better player than Tyron.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
            SLAM DUNK!
            • Jun 2013
            • East County San Diego
            • Bolt fanatic
            • Send PM

I traded for him in my Dynasty fantasy league in the offseason. Feeling really good about the returns im getting.
            migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Tyron Johnson is a replacement level player. In 2 targets this year, he has one reception for 6 yards. The other target was an INT where he failed to fight for the ball.

We all love a good underdog story but let's not pretend the underdog is a world beater.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

I agree. The Chargers surprisingly don't have a dependable third WR right now. Guyton has been a disappointment, Palmer looked great in the preseason but hasn't had many opportunities in the real season, and they let go of Tyron. I think Popper was wrong in saying that Guyton is a better player than Tyron.
                Right? That long pass from Herbert hit him in a bad spot, right in-between both hands. It would have been a moderately tough catch with the Chef guy right there but no doubt MW or Allen make that catch every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  Tyron Johnson is a replacement level player. In 2 targets this year, he has one reception for 6 yards. The other target was an INT where he failed to fight for the ball.

The better comparison is what we saw him do last season with the Chargers. He was a contributor.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Mike Williams is a must-start: Williams was declared a must-start in this piece before but was started in only 50% of ESPN leagues last week. That should change this week after a 122-yard, two-touchdown performance. He continues to have a much lower average depth of target compared to previous seasons, making him more of a dynamic wide receiver instead of just a deep threat. Williams might not see as many touchdowns going forward, but he should continue to see significant targets and yards.

new coaching staff means new ways to use players. Staley is bringing out the best in Williams.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

The better comparison is what we saw him do last season with the Chargers. He was a contributor.
                      How many replacement WRs did Rivers make look great?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I don't know what the thinking process was/is with Guyton, but his old hand issues are reappearing (they never really went away).
                        His role in this year's offense seems to have expanded; and yet, he is doing a lot of underneath stuff which was never his forte.
                        They haven't targeted him deep once this year.

IMO, Palmer is clearly the better player for this role: coaching staff doesn't trust the rook.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

The old coaching staff, because of Allen and Henry, made Williams into the primary deep guy - which meant going up and high pointing deep throws.
                          It took a toll on his body, because he seemed to get injured on half these efforts: not major injuries, but the type that would linger and reduce his effectiveness.

With Johnson & Guyton's emergence last year, Williams was turning into an after thought.
                          The role that Williams performs this year should strongly reduce his injury risk into the future, should his contract get extended.

He's demonstrated good running skills on quick outs, which he demonstrated at Clemson.
                          If you don't resign Williams, and you don't have a top level tight end, you will be making a big mistake.

Comment

Working...
                          X