• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saipanruss
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Pay the man. He's earning it this year. He's in his prime and has a good rapport with Herbert. We don't want a situation like Green Bay where we piss off our QB or leave our WR shelves bare. We finally have a respectable tandem at WR and we should keep that going...even if it costs us more than we'd like to pay. Mike Williams, from what I can tell is a "team" guy. We finally figured out how to capitalize on his talent which can lead to him being a dominant receiver for years to come. This is an easy decision if you ask me. We have the cap space next year to lock him and Derwin up. Pay the man!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Mike Williams has underperformed for his draft position. There are several WRs drafted below him in 2017 who have been better. But even though he's somewhat of a disappointment, I've always liked him. I've always considered him a stud, and I like his attitude. Maybe it has taken Lombardi/Staley to figure out how to get the most out of him. But so far this season, he is showing why he was drafted at No. 7 overall. I was a little nervous about the decision not to resign before the start of this season. But I think TT has to reach out to his agent now and open negotiations for a new contract. What do you think?
      approved GIF
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think Williams being more of a deep threat was the old coaching staff playing to Williams strength. He was, relatively speaking a deep threat in college. And that is largely how we used him.

But at some point, the coaches need to go and say "You know what, if you added this to your game, you would be so much better ..."

Williams is doing a much better job of running routes and getting off the ball. I think that is giving him the chances he hasn't had, at least as much as the new O is.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Re the final graph, two things come to mind:

1. Jared Cook is not playing to the level I expected from him, which may or many not help explain why the offense is not there yet. He *should* be that third weapons you speak of. But it is early and I still expect him to become a factor in the offense.

2. The decision to waive Tyron Johnson...he also could be that third weapon. I like Guyton, but he is not the player Johnson was paired with Herbert. Johnson had better hands, for one. I just think he was the gritter of the two players. Josh Palmer is going to take some time develop. In TJ, we had a WR who was ready to compete in the NFL and had shown he was able to.
          Cook is a decent weapon, but at his age, and on his 1 year deal, he is not really going to be that much help, except in the short term.

Johnson could be the 3rd receiver too, I agree. I was a little surprised he was cut. Reed was the guy who I expected was going to get let go. He has the size of a RB at WR, but he doesn't get on the field that much (practice squad, injured on Chargers.com ). He is impressive physically, but a much less impressive player.

What I keep hoping will happen is that Jackson, Kelley and/or Roundtree will step up and we can use Ekeler in the slot more. He is a good runner, but it would be nice to get him in the routes faster.

I really liked Bandy in the PS. Not that he is that great, but he has quickness that the others seem to lack. Having long speed is nice, but short area quickness helps to get that initial separation to make moves and get those extra yards. That is why Ekeler is so explosive, he has that quickness to make the 1st guy miss, and then exploits it. besides, we can always move Ekeler around to play both spots.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
            San Diego Native
            • Feb 2019
            • Farmington, NM
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
            This thread cracks me up.
            The vast majority of this board was calling for MikeDub to be traded prior to the draft.
            Posters badmouthing MW for the past 4 years for every reason they could think of valid or not.
            Now the board is on the Dub bandwagon. Funny what 3 weeks/games can do.
            For the record, I always wanted to keep Mike Williams as a Charger. But, to my eyes he hadn't earned a $15 million dollar payday so I expected the parties to negotiate a long term contract commensurate with his past performance before the option deadline. That didn't happen.

Because they hadn't negotiated a contract, I expected the team to let him test free agency and was pleasantly surprised when they picked up his 5th year option. I saw it as a good faith effort to prove the team's interest in negotiating a long term contract with a smaller cap hit before the season started. That didn't happen either.

What has happened is that Big Mike has (so far) blossomed in the new system into a WR worthy of the 2017 #7 overall pick. He makes Justin better. He makes Keenan better. He makes the Charger's better. We should negotiate a contract to keep him while we are the only team he can.

The only contract leverage I see (other than the threat of the franchise tag) is the injury security of a long term deal. Each week that security becomes less valuable. So if I were TT, I call his agent 1st thing in the morning and try and get something done.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

For the record, I always wanted to keep Mike Williams as a Charger. But, to my eyes he hadn't earned a $15 million dollar payday so I expected the parties to negotiate a long term contract commensurate with his past performance before the option deadline. That didn't happen.

Because they hadn't negotiated a contract, I expected the team to let him test free agency and was pleasantly surprised when they picked up his 5th year option. I saw it as a good faith effort to prove the team's interest in negotiating a long term contract with a smaller cap hit before the season started. That didn't happen either.

What has happened is that Big Mike has (so far) blossomed in the new system into a WR worthy of the 2017 #7 overall pick. He makes Justin better. He makes Keenan better. He makes the Charger's better. We should negotiate a contract to keep him while we are the only team he can.

The only contract leverage I see (other than the threat of the franchise tag) is the injury security of a long term deal. Each week that security becomes less valuable. So if I were TT, I call his agent 1st thing in the morning and try and get something done.
              If he keeps this type of play/production up for 17+ games, I’d say we franchise tag him while working on a long term contract.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                San Diego Native
                • Feb 2019
                • Farmington, NM
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                If he keeps this type of play/production up for 17+ games, I’d say we franchise tag him while working on a long term contract.
                Waiting and franchising is safer but also riskier. We can make sure he is worth the deal but so can he. His willingness to negotiate is likely to go down while the contract cost goes up.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

if he can keep this up for a whole season then he deserves to get paid.

for me i gotta see it a whole season first

hopefully this isn't a jared gaither situation either.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Mike Williams 2016 highlights. You get an idea of why Telesco drafted him.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
                        if he can keep this up for a whole season then he deserves to get paid.

for me i gotta see it a whole season first

hopefully this isn't a jared gaither situation either.
                        Donald Butler and so on

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                          The MIDDLE of a breakout season? I sure the hell hope he lasts more than 6 games.....

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍